Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just watch the 90s/2000s cartoons

I’m a big fan of Justice League/Unlimited. Used to watch a lot of the DC animated universe including the direct to video stuff.

It’s possible to do a good Superman story, just need a good writer and someone who understands Superman’s basically a god and punching his way out of a problem isn’t always the solution.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yeah, DC is still Warner Bros. But Warner Bros is now merged with Discovery.

So now like half the cable dial is owned by the same company.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
RE: Cavill - can we get a complete reboot and/or pretend he didn’t kill Zod in the first film?

Talk about not understanding the source material.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Allegedly the Rock is adamant that Cavill should remain Superman, and there have been rumors that the higher ups at..WB? (Whoever owns the DCEU) are saying that they want all other Superman projects 86'ed and "start anew" with Cavill in the suit again.

I'm down for that. They are already fucking up with the black Superman thing being Kal-El instead of Calvin Ellis.

They should do a 6 part mini-series based on John Henry from DC: The New Frontier if they want black Superman.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
They should do a 6 part mini-series based on John Henry from DC: The New Frontier if they want black Superman.

Steel is great.
I even dug the Shaq 90s movie.

I'm happy with cavill as superman, I think his desire to do a hopeful superman story is pretty reasonable. I like Zach Snyder, but his stuff isn't tremendously optimistic and wouldn't jive with that. Keep the snyderverse, just diversify with some less dark and conflicted story lines while staying away from the disney/marvel formulaic stories.

That being said, Ezra miller is a mess. I can separate his acting from his real life and dig his movie stuff typically, but man, he sounds like a pill to deal with.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You mean the comic books, in which Superman killed Zod back around 1988? That source material?

*My interpretation of the source material.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

DC has tried for an edgier “grittier” take on a comic film universe than marvel and it’s by and large failed.

In the Cavil movie Superman straight up murders Zod.

That’s the solution from a literal god, to Smite your opponent?

Supes first outing and he’s a murderer and zero interesting story comes from it. I can understand if it was a second film and he commits murder to save the world and then in third film has him struggle with his actions, but nah. He gets to fight Batman instead, lol. Supes just be offing bad guys with no remorse.

No thanks. Maybe Supes should just go full on Dredd.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In the Cavil movie Superman straight up murders Zod.

That’s the solution from a literal god, to Smite your opponent?
An opponent who was much stronger than him.

Like in the comics, Zod promised that when he inevitably got loose (Superman couldn't hold him indefinitely, and no one or nothing else could hold him even temporarily) he would murder every single man, woman, and child on the planet. There was no reason to doubt his sincerity or his ability to do so. It wouldn't even take long. And movie Zod was seconds away from murdering a couple more people right there. Movie Superman took one life to save billions. I don't see any moral failing there. I don't see how anyone could. That's a rational transaction if ever there was one. Maybe a more experienced Superman would have found some other magical solution. But this was a Superman new to his powers and with zero combat experience, against a lifelong soldier who not only could fight better, but also seemed to be getting the hang of his powers faster than Superman.

In the comics 35 years ago, Superman coldly executed Zod and his two compatriots for the crime of eradicating all life on one Earth, and against the very real threat of them doing the same to Superman's Earth. The difference in the comics is that it did have a huge impact on Superman's mental state as he struggled over the next year or two to come to terms with what he had done. Something we might have seen in the movies, if WB execs hadn't interfered and forced Snyder to do a Batman versus movie rather than a Man of Steel sequel. We'll never know. Although given the rest of Snyder's output before and since, I can't confidently give him full benefit of the doubt there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s a damn shame then that they didn’t go the route in the movies that they did in comics because that’s good writing even if I hate the idea of Superman killing someone. Instead we get Zod dead and now it’s time to fight Batman lmfao.

1 step forward and 10 steps back?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Chip n Dale, Rescue Rangers (2022):

Plenty of easter eggs from all sorts of properties, not just Disney. It kinda reminded me of the Wreck it Ralph movie where you saw game characters from all systems/eras.

I like John Mulaney, and I guess he did a good job as the straight man Chip, but Andy Samberg pretty much embodied the RR version of Dale. He did really well. Keegan Michael Key voices a Swedish Chef knock off and has arguably the best shot in the movie.

Pretty funny, worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do and if you have D+.

So, watched this last night. It was good overall. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm positive that Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is a better movie overall. The 'references' in Rescue Rangers gets so obvious that at one point the line is something like "just like Silly Putty, remember that stuff?" Wow. Yeah, we got it. Roger Rabbit uses the 'references' to build a new world, this just throws things in to be a single use throwaway reference. The Wreck It Ralph comparison is super apt.

I saw a comment from a friend that said something like, the movie should have been rated PG-43, because you'd have to be a late GenX, early Millennial to understand a good chunk of the fan service.

I did enjoy the plot use of Ugly Sonic though, that was pretty good and the Samberg and Mulaney voice work was great.

Solid B for me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The new Jurassic Park movie is getting absolutely savage reviews.

Hopefully this will be embarrassing enough to damage the careers of Treveroe and Carmichael but at this point I'm sure somehow they'll continue to be rewarded for their garbage.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Hopefully this will be embarrassing enough to damage the careers of Treveroe and Carmichael but at this point I'm sure somehow they'll continue to be rewarded for their garbage.
And Pratt.

There are now two good movies out of five or six in the series. But these dinosaur toys aren't gonna sell themselves.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Ultraviolet (2006). This was the extended uncut version (6 whole extra minutes, out of a missing 30, woo!) I only bought it because I learned that the Ultraviolent: Code 044 anime TV series that I recently watched was a sequel of sorts to it (plus Milla Jovovich is hot). It's an okay sci-fi film, but, not great. The CG models/effects are hokey-looking a lot of the time, especially the early motorcycle madness. Some of the fight scenes are pretty cool though. It did provide some more context for the anime for me, which is what I wanted. Oddly, my favorite part of the entire movie is the opening credits animation with the many made-up Ultraviolet comic book covers--just beautiful. Watching the 4-making of featurettes on the disc, I was surprised to learn that many of the stranger building are real structures in Shanghai that they actually shot at, not sets or renders like I'd assumed.

@M

20 Year Member
Clash of the Titans (2010) & Wrath of the Titans (2012).

Clash is a great update to the 1981 original (love the Bubo owl cameo). Beautiful CG monsters and settings (best depiction of Medusa on screen ever and the Kraken is amazing too). Wrath is good too, but, I liked Clash better. Didn't care for the death of the gods theme in Wrath; if you're making a movie about mythology, don't destroy the myths in the process! Solid action flicks even if you don't care about how many mortals Zeus (Liam Neeson) has banged.

Also, how to easily thwart Skynet:
1654948306786.jpg

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Can you explain to us why you included a meme of The Terminator in a post of a movie review completely unrelated to The Terminator.

@M

20 Year Member
Because I found it amusing and wanted to share, but, didn't want to double post.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member

I saw it today and can absolutely not understand the bad rating, 2nd best to the original.