Anyone playing Tunic?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Played a few hours today and I’m really digging it.

Solid little Zelda clone.

Has a really cool mechanic where you find “pages” of a manual to the game. The manual is an old school manual (80’s era) when they were still useful and contained explanations of the game, offered tips/tricks/strategies and even contained maps.

The in game manual is beautiful, really dig the style. I’d by the actual thing.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Played a bit on game pass, it's ok. Definitely a Zelda clone, but it seems to be really difficult. Plus a lot of the items/signs have descriptions in whatever language that is. I assume you translate them as you get pages but.. I mean, I have no idea if this or that item is useful/health and don't want to waste it just in case. Gotta give me more information this early in the game.

Also fuck the lazer turrets.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Played it a little, gets hard real quick. Seems like al rhese indie game developera are competing to make games harder than Ghosts & Goblins.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Beat the first boss (Garden Knight) and the game really opens up. I’m at another boss now but there are so many other areas to go. Wish I had a bit more direction, I was not expecting some dark souls type exploration.

All the shortcuts are neat but I find it hard to remember how to get to one specific spot. Back tracking isn’t as easy as In say a metroidvania.

Seems there is fast travel too via waypoints.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Beat a couple more areas but not the bosses, did get the item that lets you attach to hooks.

Not sure if I should beat the bosses or what. I think I can beat siege engine, not sure on the Librarian yet. He seemed tough.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Y'all give up? I beat a few more bosses and am now am at a part where you're a....
Spoiler:
ghost

I really want to love this game and it truly is great...but that fucking camera in the boss battles is absolutely terrible. Especially when you fight the Scavenger King. I'm pretty sure the camera is centered on the opponent. He is fast and the camera just spins and spins and spins and spins. This particular boss has a ground effect attack you can roll through, but the camera spins and spins and spins after he casts it causing you to have to continually adjust the direction you're going to roll. Not a big deal but annoying.

The bosses feel mega-man-esque also in that I could really only beat two bosses by spamming different magic items/abilities.

Last boss it seemed like the sword just barely did any damage, compared to the previous boss.

Also seems like the best Strat on all the bosses is just to be hyper aggressive. On a couple of the bosses you can run in and whack the shit out of them before their life bar pops up and they start moving.

Glad I've stuck with the game though despite the difficulty.

I'll say again, if there is a physical version of the in-game manual I'd buy it because it's just awesome.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bossses I’m finding just not fun.

The rotation and the fact that the lock on changes the angle of the map are making me crazy.

Last boss has two phases, ugh.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I haven't gone back to it for a couple days. Not sure if I will.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I’m kinda bummed. I want to love this game but the combat is just not that fun. It wants to be dark souls but it’s…Link to the Past with dodging and blocking.

I’ll also admit I suck at it. Again chief combat complaint is RE: the bosses. Regularly enemies don’t prepare you for them IMO.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I haven't gone back to it for a couple days. Not sure if I will.

Honesty after you put up with giving us reports on the Halo tv show you can drop anything you aren’t having fun with.

You’ve certainly earned it :emb:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Loved Tunic and had the same complaints about the boss fights.

I also used a guide to clean everything up at the end. I just didn't have the kind of patience necessary to find everything on my own.