Moving past "stuff"

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Has anyone ever experienced just suddenly being completely over "stuff" and buying things you don't really need? I haven't really collected games in awhile but I have been picking up a lot of Switch games and some other things I am interested in and am constantly searching for deals and watching deal sites. But a couple weeks ago I woke up and just felt completely done, as in I don't want to even look for things and don't feel the need to buy anything else. I always figured I may slightly loose interest but this is basically an over night change. Maybe it is the market, just being completely over-saturated in games/vinyl/toys/etc of anything imaginable, to prices, to the amount of effort it takes to secure things how companies produce them. Not saying I'm going to sell everything I own but the desire for more is gone. Maybe I've finally broke a bad habit, maybe this is growing.

Just curious if others have experienced the same thing and where others are at

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, for me it happened a few years ago. I finally just realized I don't care as much about the hobby. I still enjoy talking about this stuff and enjoy playing every once and awhile but no longer have the urge to buy anything.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The feeling comes and goes for me for various hobbies. In regards to video games, I seldom buy them and don't play as much anymore, but, probably won't ever kick the habit entirely unless my vision and/or hand dexterity goes.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I don't play that much aswell and don't buy games no more because I have the games I enjoy playing and I don't care about next gen or modern consoles. I still like video games though,I just want to move on to different or something else besides games.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Maybe it is the market, just being completely over-saturated in games/vinyl/toys/etc of anything imaginable, to prices, to the amount of effort it takes to secure things how companies produce them.
This is directed at the retro gaming community as a whole:

Your life isn't going to be any worse because you didn't pre-order some tacky collectors edition of re-release of a game that has been around for 30 years, some new indie retro throwback or some goofy ass toy. That's the worst thing that all these little boutique publishers have done to the hobby. FOMO pre-ordering because everything is limited, embarrassing collector editions full of junk, games that don't even deserve a physical release half the time. Shit most of the desirable games actually get a budget physical release through regular publishers.

How many times have people rushed to pre-order a new retro game only to have to wait a year while it gets a normal release earlier?

Sure it's a bummer to miss out on some cool stuff sometimes but the worst case scenario is that you just buy it digitally, shit if you're patient buy it digitally on sale for pennies on the dollar. Having some exclusive crazy mega-deluxe SE version of a game doesn't make the game any better, in fact it just makes you less likely to actually play the game because you don't want to fuck with the packaging or keep it sealed.

Shit, look at Stealthlurker (RIP) dude's gone and his family is still getting crazy shit in the mail he pre-ordered 2 years ago.

I've been through all this bullshit with games, toys, records etc. Once you realize how ridiculous it is and how little any of this shit actually matters it's easy to keep shit in check.

Buy something you know you're really going to like and enjoy the fuck out of it instead of obsessing over all the shit you don't have or whatever is coming out next. There's only so much time anyways, what is the end goal of the hobby? Owning as much cool shit as possible that you never even used just to show other dorks on the internet? Buying mediocre games to bloat your collection? Pre-ordering yet another game even though you have a decades worth of unplayed shit? Fuck all that.

Next time you think you need to buy something... don't. Instead go to your shelves and get down something you've been meaning to play for god knows how long and sit down and actually play it.

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Buy something you know you're really going to like and enjoy the fuck out of it instead of obsessing over all the shit you don't have or whatever is coming out next. There's only so much time anyways, what is the end goal of the hobby? Owning as much cool shit as possible that you never even used just to show other dorks on the internet? Buying mediocre games to bloat your collection? Pre-ordering yet another game even though you have a decades worth of unplayed shit? Fuck all that.
This is great advice, I recently picked up MvsC (Capcom CPS2 hardware) and have been playing the hell out of it. Going deep and focusing on one game has really made me appreciate the details. Truly works of art.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Yea, for me it happened a few years ago. I finally just realized I don't care as much about the hobby. I still enjoy talking about this stuff and enjoy playing every once and awhile but no longer have the urge to buy anything.
Same, I 'got' this when I sold my meager collection. Casual gaming is all that I want any more.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
I have lots of arcade stuff I haven’t had time to look thru for years I don’t even know what I have anymore ..

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
At time I find there is simply SO MUCH STUFF available that it becomes almost overload.
Looking around I also realize that I just don't have the space or necessarily the want for all this stuff.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
This is directed at the retro gaming community as a whole:

Your life isn't going to be any worse because you didn't pre-order some tacky collectors edition of re-release of a game that has been around for 30 years, some new indie retro throwback or some goofy ass toy. That's the worst thing that all these little boutique publishers have done to the hobby. FOMO pre-ordering because everything is limited, embarrassing collector editions full of junk, games that don't even deserve a physical release half the time. Shit most of the desirable games actually get a budget physical release through regular publishers.

How many times have people rushed to pre-order a new retro game only to have to wait a year while it gets a normal release earlier?

Sure it's a bummer to miss out on some cool stuff sometimes but the worst case scenario is that you just buy it digitally, shit if you're patient buy it digitally on sale for pennies on the dollar. Having some exclusive crazy mega-deluxe SE version of a game doesn't make the game any better, in fact it just makes you less likely to actually play the game because you don't want to fuck with the packaging or keep it sealed.

Shit, look at Stealthlurker (RIP) dude's gone and his family is still getting crazy shit in the mail he pre-ordered 2 years ago.

I've been through all this bullshit with games, toys, records etc. Once you realize how ridiculous it is and how little any of this shit actually matters it's easy to keep shit in check.

Next time you think you need to buy something... don't. Instead go to your shelves and get down something you've been meaning to play for god knows how long and sit down and actually play it.
SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
For retro video games at least i just buy one occasionally now for when i come across a good deal.Still i'm not worry about having a huge collection anymore with flash carts making it simple for me.For getting burn out yeah it happens to me i'll just stop buying and play what i have for awhile.For that matter,i been sliming down my famicom collection to a local brick&motor for video games recently for trade ins.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I got burnt out buying statues. They take up great amount of space and the box too. Prices has double and the shipping tripled. Just when i think im done, something pops up that i have to get. (Storm PF) There are days i wish i didn't buy so many.

As for games, i dont really buy games anymore. I got a PS5 & Switch OLED i still haven't opened since last year. I only play my Arcade1ups & iiRcade online. Im pretty content with those. I think im planning to sell all my console games, as i just dont play them.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Still waiting for that Blast Wind ending future.

Terry sold me Blast Wind for seventy dollars in twothousandandfive btw.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I got burnt out buying statues. They take up great amount of space and the box too. Prices has double and the shipping tripled. Just when i think im done, something pops up that i have to get. (Storm PF) There are days i wish i didn't buy so many.

As for games, i dont really buy games anymore. I got a PS5 & Switch OLED i still haven't opened since last year. I only play my Arcade1ups & iiRcade online. Im pretty content with those. I think im planning to sell all my console games, as i just dont play them.

It’s crazy how that is - I have like 30 homecarts but I still play my A1Ups much more.

Barely touch the Neo stuff tbh.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I got into all this shit because I felt like I missed out as a kid, after all those hours drooling over video game magazines in the 90s. PC Engine, never had one, have to get one! Meh. Neo Geo, never had one, have to get one! Meh. Nomad, never had one, have to get one! Meh. Girlfriend, never had one, have to get one!

Meh.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ive been done for so long, but i still buy more than I sell. that's the problem.
Selling is a massive pain and the looming 1099K this year has made me halt all sales.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think we all have a "stuff" threshold where we just have an sudden epiphany of "this is too much stuff" and the urge to clear it out. It's a healthy thing to have as it keeps us from ending up on an episode of Hoarders.

If the feeling to purge is there, purge away. You'll be happier for it. My wife and I are in that mode right now and doing our best to "unstuff".

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Every time that I miss my home carts/Saturn/SFC stuff I also quickly remember the reason I sold it all was because they hardly got played at all any more .

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Every time that I miss my home carts/Saturn/SFC stuff I also quickly remember the reason I sold it all was because they hardly got played at all any more .

yup. and if I really wanted it, it's still easily accessible. The only stuff I consider rare are things I dont see on ebay but once a year or less.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
One reason I stopped buying smaller retro cosole games. Instead of the decision of 10 $10 games it can be for something larger like 1 $100 game for the Neo or arcade hardware. Then that single decision has a lot more weight to it on "where am I going to fit this? Do I really need/want this? It it actually worth the money?". Makes you think more instead of death by 1000 cuts.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
My collecting years were in the late 90s/early 2000s when I worked multiple jobs and had no real expenses. I amassed a stupid amount of games and consoles to the point of having one of those obnoxious walls like you see in all of the YouTube dummies backgrounds. Then I graduated college, could barely afford to live and sold it all. Kept me in food and shelter for about a year while I tried to figure out what to do with my life.

While I wish I had all of that crap now so I could sell it again and pay off my house, I don't regret not having walls full of plastic for a second. There are a dozen different ways to play old video games at this point that are more efficient and while I can certainly appreciate people who enjoy the sounds and feel of original stuff (I have arcade cabs for a reason), I'd never play 99% of it and it's just useless wall trophies at that point. Physical media is all destined for landfills in the long run anyway. Either your spouse/loved ones are going to get stuck trying to get rid of it or you'll pass it down to your kids and they'll eventually get rid of it when none of it works anymore from rot. I'd rather not burden the people I love with endless busywork after I'm dead.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Nope. Don’t go full collectard (see: your username) and you won’t experience this.

There is no “beyond stuff” in this world. You ARE stuff.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Sold just about everything off 3 years ago, haven’t missed it for a second. I’m completely over gaming, even when my kids play games my eyes glaze over. Pretty much zero interest at this point. The only thing I buy these days are records but at least once a year I sell off whatever I am no longer listening to.