Neo Geo CD Controller repair kit is now available from LaserBear

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I tried the previous method of replacing dead switches with the Racon's from Digikey, but felt that it was lacking with the switches not having any clicks.

LaserBear's new kit replaces the top shroud of the joystick assembly to accommodate more readily available switches:

Install is pretty simple, I've had to tinker with it for a little as a switch was binding occasionally, but highly recommended for any dead pad.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I saw this, and I'm interested. I have one pad that's going bad.

Too bad you didn't post this in Neo support. No one checks this board.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, got four CD pads and two are shaky, will give this a try.

And yeah, moved.

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Laserbear is truly one of the good guys of the retro gaming hardware world, thank you for your hard work on this one!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
With the different measurements, is the resulting pad going to feel the same as stock?

dzhay

n00b
I don't have a working one to compare it too, but it's not without issues based on my experience - it really requires you to presse hard, although I have a number of suspect looking springs.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Is nice to have that option for us europeans if you add the VAT and the shipping, it costs the same as a properly working one...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"It requires you to press hard"

eh what's the point then? I thought the whole point was having something that felt closer to the original switches (actuated by the tension of the spring and not contact of the plastic T pieces on the button).

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
"It requires you to press hard"

eh what's the point then? I thought the whole point was having something that felt closer to the original switches (actuated by the tension of the spring and not contact of the plastic T pieces on the button).
Yeah, consider me not doing this. I will try my luck with the old school messy repair methods.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I repaired one of my controllers with the kit, and I have no issues with sensitivity, it's just as responsive as the original kit and doesn't require additional force to activate. I'll try to record a vid and post it, but I give it a good 8/10 overall. The install is tricky and will require you to remove and muck around with the install if you get binding springs after soldering it in. I wish there was a way to easily remove the kit if you get a bind, but as seen in the install vid, you assemble the whole switch hub as a single piece, then solder it all to the controller board in one shot.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I saw this, and I'm interested. I have one pad that's going bad.

Too bad you didn't post this in Neo support. No one checks this board.
I need to check this out as the left switch on one Neo Geo CD pad I have is dead