New Star Wars stuff announced

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Well this episode was much better at least.

Still pretty dumb at points, though:
-Where the fuck did that second transport come from? We don't see it all while Vader is crushing the first one, the it just zooms off
-Why doesn't Third Sister attack Vader while he's actually busy instead of just walking up behind him, yelling, while he's standing there?
-What about the Star Destroyer? Vader, Third Sister, and the Grand Inquisitor took two drop ships to the surface but the Destroyer they came it was still in orbit. Apparently the transport just flew right past it?
-We really sent the ten year old princess in to do fuckin' mechanical repairs? They don't have anyone at this base who is physically capable of, you know, working on the equipment? A small alien? A short guy? A droid? Nope. Send the ten year old girl who just got here in!
-Why the fuck would Vader leave Third Sister alive? He's becoming an 80s action figure commercial cartoon villain at this point.

At least we got to see Vader style on Third Sister. "I don't even need to draw my lightsaber to whoop your ass."

Yeah woof, I was groaning at the entire "Leia will fix it, get her a ladder...NOW!"

Third Sister giving up her plan to Obi-Wan immediately...what?

Apparently she can just slice through the blast door...so why the fuck were we waiting while we slowly fired round after round from some sort of big bad, but ultimately useless cannon.

Would have been way more meaningful if Tala died last episode. Without knowing exactly what they'll do with her in the last episode, Third Sister getting a saber to the gut (which she shrugged off like a champ by the way, wonder what Qui-Gon's problem was) in this one only shows how dumb both her and Vader are. In what universe was that plan going to work? I thought Obi-Wan was meant to be a distraction, yet Vader never sees him. She gets totally hung out to dry. Also have never been a fan of the whole, Ohhhhh snap, we double crossed the double crosser. Requires an ridiculous amount of foresight.

I'm getting a little tired of force users now being able to just throw other force users around and pulling spaceships out of the sky.

I went back and looked, you can kinda see the second transport in the background, but still, he just yanked one out of the sky, why couldn't he snatch the other one too? Force MP needed a recharge I guess.

I'm not sure it was much better...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Much better than episode 4 =/= good

The lead writer on this show is the guy who wrote Army of the Dead. That should tell you all you need to know.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Despite the usual nitpicking how dumb the characters act, this episode was pure fire.

Anakin and Obiwan dueling as master and padawan. Vader grabbing ships out of the sky and fighting the 3rd sister. Not bad. Might even be the best episode so far as much as light saber battles can get and carry you anyway.

Im also glad whats her name died. I... felt no attatchment whatsoever. I also knew the 3rd sister was that youngling in the beggining of the series opener.

Get her a ladder quik!

famicommander

15 Year Member
I fooled myself into thinking this could be good because of Deborah Chow directing, but it was never going to hold up without good writing.

Mando is good because Filoni developed much of the concept and is heavily editing Favreau's writing, in addition to Filoni writing and directing episodes solo.

Boba Fett sucked because Favreau wrote every episode except one (the best episode, which was written and directed by Filoni)

Obi-Wan sucks because they didn't hire a good writer.

Andor has a chance to be good. The lead writer is the guy who wrote Rogue One, Michael Clayton, and the Bourne movies.

Ahsoka should be the best of any of them, provided the actually spend the money it will require. Every episode written by Filoni, multiple episodes directed by him.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Which boba episode are you talking about? The one with Luke? I suppose I could look it up.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I enjoyed seeing Vader flex with no saber.

In the old extended universe Luke was powerful enough to move starships with the force (and may have been an order of magnitude stronger in the force than Anakin.) I’ll buy that Vader could do that.

Series has been mediocre overall.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ahsoka should be the best of any of them, provided the actually spend the money it will require. Every episode written by Filoni, multiple episodes directed by him.
I saw someone posted a pic somewhere (twitter, I think?) that shows how they fixed Ahsoka's lekku in the Ahsoka show to make them more accurate to the Rebels design. So hopefully they are indeed putting a little more care/money into that show. That's the one I'm waiting for. Ahsoka is my favorite SW character ever.

This last ep was pretty good, probably the best of the 5 so far. Vader catching the ship was really cool to see, and definitely cool to see him fight and defeat Reva without even drawing his light saber. I'm honestly more surprised they've been focusing on Leia over Luke, but I have to admit that little girl is killing it as a young precocious Leia. Fisher would be proud, I think.

I feel bad for Hayden Christiansen tho. Dude is only like 41 and nowadays looks like he's 60. Even the de-aging they did in the show for the flashbacks couldn't hide the crows feet.

Didn't realize it was only going to be 6 eps, so I'm wondering how they're going to wrap this one up.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Which boba episode are you talking about? The one with Luke? I suppose I could look it up.
Yes, Filoni wrote and directed the one that features Luke, Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Cobb Vanth, Grogu, Mando, and R2-D2. The other six were all written by Favreau; three were directed by Robert Rodriguez with Bryce Dallas Howard, Kevin Tancharoen, and Steph Green getting the others.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I saw someone posted a pic somewhere (twitter, I think?) that shows how they fixed Ahsoka's lekku in the Ahsoka show to make them more accurate to the Rebels design. So hopefully they are indeed putting a little more care/money into that show. That's the one I'm waiting for. Ahsoka is my favorite SW character ever.

This last ep was pretty good, probably the best of the 5 so far. Vader catching the ship was really cool to see, and definitely cool to see him fight and defeat Reva without even drawing his light saber. I'm honestly more surprised they've been focusing on Leia over Luke, but I have to admit that little girl is killing it as a young precocious Leia. Fisher would be proud, I think.

I feel bad for Hayden Christiansen tho. Dude is only like 41 and nowadays looks like he's 60. Even the de-aging they did in the show for the flashbacks couldn't hide the crows feet.

Didn't realize it was only going to be 6 eps, so I'm wondering how they're going to wrap this one up.
Makes sense with Leia instead of Luke. Helps explain why Leia would be asking for Kenobi's help at the beginning of A New Hope, and why she would know him as Obi Wan.

Hayden's aged from working hard labor on his farm for a long time since he got out of acting. Salt of the earth guy and a lot of sun exposure.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It was dumb to flash back to pre-Attack of the Clones with Hayden. Should've flashed back to the Clone Wars/ROTS era. They had him playing like a 17 year old version of himself. Would've been much easier to buy him as late 20s.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So, yet again:
-Obi-Wan severely wounds Vader and then just walks the fuck away
-Obi-Wan just flies off afterwards even though Vader's fucking Star Destroyer he was trying to avoid in the first place was still right the fuck there

famicommander

15 Year Member
I mean there are so many better ways to separate Obi-Wan and Vader at the end without either of them dying.

Just make the Grand Inquisitor and Fifth Brother show up and chase Kenobi off. He knows Luke is in trouble and doesn't have time to fight off two Inquisitors and a wounded Vader. That would make way more sense than Kenobi just wounding Vader and walking away, again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I tried watching Obi Wan last night. I got as far as opening Disney+ and immediately a wave of apathy just washed over me. I haven't cared or been excited about SW in years and now it's to the point where I have developed an actual aversion to the property without even realizing it. I still think it's in better hands than George but there's just nothing there anymore, it's so empty.

One of the biggest problems is that SW doesn't have the roster that Marvel has. There's a lot of characters and story but no one cares about B and C tier stuff, there's no appeal. They've tried introducing lesser characters and aside from The Mandalorian it never seems to work. It has consistently worked with the Marvel stuff from the beginning though.

The other problem is that even when they do make stuff with beloved characters like Boba Fett and Han the end product is mediocre at best.

They keep showing all these multi year plans like they know what they're doing and it just seems so desperate. It's like a buffet, where they're trying to feed everyone and cater to all tastes but that just means all the food being served is pretty terrible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Don't watch Obi-Wan.

Clone Wars, Rebels, Mandalorian, Bad Batch.

Those four shows are the only Star Wars things anyone needs to watch besides the original trilogy.

And Mandalorian is only good because it leans so heavily on Clone Wars and Rebels.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Obi-wan ended spectacularly. Definitely made up for the weird, and sometimes plain stupid plot items in previous episodes.

For those who haven't watched it yet, I think you'll enjoy it a lot more as a binge than week per week.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Obi-wan ended spectacularly. Definitely made up for the weird, and sometimes plain stupid plot items in previous episodes.

For those who haven't watched it yet, I think you'll enjoy it a lot more as a binge than week per week.
Why doesn't Obi-Wan finish off Vader? The entire episode in specific and the show in general is about Obi-Wan realizing that his friend is well and truly dead. He even says that out loud. And then he lets him live, again, and go on to kill literally billions more innocent people over the next decade.

Why does Vader's star destroyer just let Obi-Wan fly off? Obi Wan went to the planet to give the ship time to escape the star destroyer. Then he whoops Vader's ass and just flies off? Vader went to the planet alone. Meaning the Grand Inquisitor and everybody else on that star destroyer just watched Kenobi fly away casually.

Why couldn't the star destroyer blow a god damn space bus out of the sky? They have time to fly to an entirely new planet without a hyperdrive and the star destroyer can't shoot them down? Deploy some tie fighters? Tractor beam? Anything? No? Just yet another low speed Disney Plus Star Wars chase?

Why does Reva go after Luke to get back at Vader when Vader doesn't even know Luke exists? She's mad at Vader for killing children, so she becomes an Inquisitor (they kill Jedi children by the hundreds), then decides to get back at him by.... killing his kid he doesn't know about? What?

How do Owen and Beru fight off a god damn Inquisitor? They got Kentucky Fried by fuckin' stormtroopers and they can beat an Inquisitor?

Ten year old Luke sees a woman with a lightsaber and force powers? What? Did these people even watch A New Hope?

Some of the dialogue between Vader and Obi-Wan was great but otherwise this was just plain trash.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Why doesn't Obi-Wan finish off Vader? The entire episode in specific and the show in general is about Obi-Wan realizing that his friend is well and truly dead. He even says that out loud. And then he lets him live, again, and go on to kill literally billions more innocent people over the next decade.

Why does Vader's star destroyer just let Obi-Wan fly off? Obi Wan went to the planet to give the ship time to escape the star destroyer. Then he whoops Vader's ass and just flies off? Vader went to the planet alone. Meaning the Grand Inquisitor and everybody else on that star destroyer just watched Kenobi fly away casually.

Why couldn't the star destroyer blow a god damn space bus out of the sky? They have time to fly to an entirely new planet without a hyperdrive and the star destroyer can't shoot them down? Deploy some tie fighters? Tractor beam? Anything? No? Just yet another low speed Disney Plus Star Wars chase?

Why does Reva go after Luke to get back at Vader when Vader doesn't even know Luke exists? She's mad at Vader for killing children, so she becomes an Inquisitor (they kill Jedi children by the hundreds), then decides to get back at him by.... killing his kid he doesn't know about? What?

How do Owen and Beru fight off a god damn Inquisitor? They got Kentucky Fried by fuckin' stormtroopers and they can beat an Inquisitor?

Ten year old Luke sees a woman with a lightsaber and force powers? What? Did these people even watch A New Hope?

Some of the dialogue between Vader and Obi-Wan was great but otherwise this was just plain trash.
1. Plot and Jedi mercy. Consider it another example of how, while well intentioned, Jedi mercy doesn't always work out for the best. The biggest weakness of both the light and dark side are they're incapable of being gray. All or nothing.

2. Plot.

3. Plot and notoriously bad aim from the Empire as it has been the entire franchise. Most shots just straight up miss since Star Wars ships are incapable of auto aiming their laser weapons.

4. It was for Reva's satisfaction and a product of her hate distorted mind. She didn't care that he didn't know about him, and in her mind killing his son would be justice for all the kids he killed. Standard irrational, but passionate Sith behavior.

5. Plot, and she was still injured from getting skewered the previous episode so her ability to fight and use the force were diminished a fair bit. But mostly plot.

6. "Dad, who was that lady with the red laser sword?"
"Don't worry about it son. Now go drink some blue milk and go to bed."

Basically, same way parents would blow us off as kids when we asked questions or experiencing things we didn't (or they didn't want us to) understand.

famicommander

15 Year Member
"Plot" is not a reason.

It's the job of the writers not to put the characters into these situations in the first place. Everyone knows Obi-Wan can't kill Vader in this show because we know what happens later. But it would be super, super easy to come up with a way for both of them to survive without Obi Wan just beating the fuck out of him and walking away, again.

Same goes for all the other stuff. Don't write yourself into a situation where you have an extended sequence of a star destroyer not being able to catch a much smaller, much slower, much less well equipped vehicle. Don't write yourself into a situation where you have a farmer and his wife fighting a dark Jedi.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
He doesn’t kill Vader because it would have been murder. Vader was beaten and no longer posed a threat.

I know the prequels made jedi in to murder ninjas but I’ve always felt the true path of the light side was that of pacifism (I think this is a realization Yoda and Obi Wan made after the fall of the order (well for Obi Wan it’s after this current show) and it’s what we see with Luke also in RotJ) or getting as close to it as possible.

The best Jedi fight still remains Luke vs Vader in RotJ, period.

Show was overall not very good and I do agree they probably shouldn’t have wrote the situation in the first place.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Another in a long line of bad Star Wars shows we’ve been getting since 1999.

famicommander

15 Year Member
He doesn’t kill Vader because it would have been murder. Vader was beaten and no longer posed a threat.

I know the prequels made jedi in to murder ninjas but I’ve always felt the true path of the light side was that of pacifism (I think this is a realization Yoda and Obi Wan made after the fall of the order (well for Obi Wan it’s after this current show) and it’s what we see with Luke also in RotJ) or getting as close to it as possible.
He spends the whole original trilogy trying to convince Luke to kill Vader, though. He literally says that the Emperor has already won when Luke refuses to kill his father. It's by repudiating Obi-Wan and his teachings and sparing Vader that Luke saves the day.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
-Obi-Wan severely wounds Vader and then just walks the fuck away

And before that Vader piles a mountain of rock on top of Obi-Wan and just...walks away.

This episode was the most serviceable overall but so much of it makes the preceding 5 episodes basically meaningless and worse, makes so much of the beginning of A New Hope not make much sense knowing that these events happened.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
He spends the whole original trilogy trying to convince Luke to kill Vader, though. He literally says that the Emperor has already won when Luke refuses to kill his father. It's by repudiating Obi-Wan and his teachings and sparing Vader that Luke saves the day.

It’s just bad writing, then.

Luke is the only good Jedi we’ve ever seen IMO.

What they did to his character in the sequels is unforgiveable.