Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Please confirm that Tom Hardy gave the best performance, not Leo.
Doesn't that...kind of go without saying? I was on his side the whole time, even though I knew he was going to lose. He was the most pragmatic character of the bunch.

Leo has gotten better as he's got older, though. He's reached the level of being a decent actor, and no longer completely insufferable. He also finally seems kind of like an adult, no longer like a kid wearing his dad's clothes, the way he did in stuff like Shutter Island (blech) or whatever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
With Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I feel like Leo finally tapped into his true potential. He's much more nuanced in that performances in comparison to Wolf of Wall Street and The Revenant. I actually think one of his best roles so far was in Don't Look up even though I thoroughly dislike the movie as a whole.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Doesn't that...kind of go without saying?
At the time, six and a half years ago, everyone was going on about Leo's performance and then he won an Oscar for it. But after I watched it I felt like I was taking crazy pills, because Hardy completely stole the show, imo. And it seemed no one was talking about his performance in comparison to Leo.

Anyways cool movie. Yeesh. Blink my eyes and it's six years later. Sometimes I feel like a real life Billy Pilgrim.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
A Cry in the Dark / Evil Angels
A dramatization of the "dingo took my baby" case. I didn't know much about the case beyond the pop culture references and the outcome – the movie does a good job of showing what happened and the impact of public perception. Recommended.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't know if this is the place to talk about it, but did anyone see the Ezra Miller thing? The guy who first became famous for We Need To Talk About Kevin, and more recently has played the Flash in a few mostly misfires of DC Comics movies?

He started getting in trouble a year or two back when he was caught on video choking out a girl. Then a few months ago, he was arrested in Hawaii for drunk and disorderly, maybe fighting or something. A couple weeks later, arrested in Hawaii again for the same thing. And now apparently, he's been grooming a girl a few years since she was underage, and right as she turned 18, he kidnapped her and vanished. Side note: a different girl, now 12, just filed a restraining order against him yesterday. Anywhoo, the cops have been looking for him, while Miller has been sending taunting messages and memes through instagram.

Ezra-miller-post1.JPG

Stuff like that. He has since deleted his account. To the surprise of absolutely no one, most of the talk online revolves around not disrespecting his they/them pronouns, as that is clearly more important than what has happened to the girl.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Dude is completely off the reservation. Don't know if it's drugs or mental illness but yeah... probably needs to spend some time in a rubber room to get his/their shit together.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've always thought that douche needed a good ass kicking, there's just something about his face.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Miller had the police called on him 10+ times from January-March, and that was before either of the times he got arrested.

Up to that point it just seemed like Miller was a drunken/drugged out idiot that started fights in public, but this new stuff is a lot more sinister.

They have to recast the Flash. The movie itself is already finished and there's nothing they can do about Miller being in 90% of the scenes. But they can certainly film a stupid comic booky scene to tack on at the end that morphs him into someone else.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
They have to recast the Flash.

Nah, nothing that drastic. Just get Wally West to be the new Flash. I know everyone loves the Barry Allen Flash (myself included) but Wally is just as great and no need to replace the actor, just add a ret-con into the end like you mentioned, or a quick 'recap' in the next appearance of the character and say something like "Oh yeah, Barry died. So I'm Wally."

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nah, nothing that drastic. Just get Wally West to be the new Flash. I know everyone loves the Barry Allen Flash (myself included) but Wally is just as great and no need to replace the actor, just add a ret-con into the end like you mentioned, or a quick 'recap' in the next appearance of the character and say something like "Oh yeah, Barry died. So I'm Wally."
I'd literally just swap in John Wesley Shipp or Grant Gustin. They're both way better actors than the CW deserves anyway. Shipp and Keaton on screen together would be cool.

I feel like Wally would need to be introduced first. You have to establish his relationship with Barry for the Flash mantle to mean anything to him.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'd literally just swap in John Wesley Shipp or Grant Gustin. They're both way better actors than the CW deserves anyway. Shipp and Keaton on screen together would be cool.

I feel like Wally would need to be introduced first. You have to establish his relationship with Barry for the Flash mantle to mean anything to him.

Wtf am I thinking - you're right. Gustin played a great Flash. I havent seen the show since probably season 5 or so, (whenever they were up against Savitar) but yeah, he would be cool, or to have Shipp as Jay Garrick, or hell, even older Barry lol.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wtf am I thinking - you're right. Gustin played a great Flash. I havent seen the show since probably season 5 or so, (whenever they were up against Savitar) but yeah, he would be cool, or to have Shipp as Jay Garrick, or hell, even older Barry lol.
Just say timey wimey bullshit aged him up 30 years. Bam. Shipp as older Barry, who can spend a movie mentoring a Wally.

Shipp deserves it anyway. He's played:
Barry Allen/The Flash
Pollux (90s TV Reverse Flash)
Dr. Henry Allen
Eobard Thawne/Professor Zoom
Jay Garrick/The Flash

across The Flash (1990), The Flash (2014-present), Stargirl, Batman: the Brave and the Bold, Batwoman, Arrow, and Supergirl.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
WB fucked up pushing the movie's release back. I think they were hoping to wait until everything died down after the choking thing and the throwing a wooden chair into another girl's head thing. But that stuff seems so quaint now compared to the current things. I'm now reading that Miller started grooming the girl he vanished with at age 12, while he was in his mid-20s. Started sleeping with her when she was 14, and giving her weed, booze and LSD. And all that is in addition to the other girl who is 12 right now, that he was apparently starting to groom.

The movie was supposed to come out next year, but WB is going to have to wait until 2030 before people start forgetting this new stuff. Maybe longer if the girl ends up dead.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The movie was supposed to come out next year, but WB is going to have to wait until 2030 before people start forgetting this new stuff. Maybe longer if the girl ends up dead.
I could see them tack on an ending to write him out and dump the movie on HBO rather than going with a theatrical release.

100proof

10 Year Member
There's no way they're releasing that movie with Ezra Miller as the star. Even if this current trash fire gets resolved without something terrible happening, you can't put out a movie with THAT much baggage, This is worse than Kevin Spacey and they straight up digitally deleted him from a movie. They either have to re-cast the character and re-film all of his scenes (which would still be distracting but at least you wouldn't have a felon playing your hero and you could move forward with that new person in future movies) or just flush $100 milly down the toilet and not release it. Which I don't think they would do.

Moral of the story: always run a thorough background check on the people who are going to head your billion-dollar franchises.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Yea, I've been following some of the stuff lately and Ezra miller is a hot mess. Between miller and amber heard, sounds like the new mgmt at DC has some new casting decisions to make.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I could see them tack on an ending to write him out and dump the movie on HBO rather than going with a theatrical release.
Or they could do a deepfake CGI over his face throughout, and have the new actor overdub him. It's definitely doable now. I don't know how much it would cost, but definitely cheaper than reshooting an entire movie and maybe less of a financial hit than skipping a theatrical release. Plus if it comes out later he's definitely an outright chomo (which already seems to be the case), they won't want to promote him in a new movie, even just on the streaming service.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That might run afoul of the Crispin Glover law/ruling from BttF2.
Did Glover win that one? Either way, I'm sure there's a legal way around it when your original actor is a child molesting fugative from justice.

100proof

10 Year Member
He did. And this isn't exactly a one-to-one scenario (in that case, they used a stunt double and unused footage from the previous movie to blend him in) but I'm sure the Actor's Guild would make a stink, justified or not, just to avoid a precedent being set.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Maybe they could pull off an extensive deepfake but WB has already confirmed that a reshoot is out of the question. Miller is on screen for well over 90% of the scenes in the movie and most of the rest of the cast is already shooting something else.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
To the surprise of absolutely no one, most of the talk online revolves around not disrespecting his they/them pronouns, as that is clearly more important than what has happened to the girl.

I don't really have anything to add about the dude, but just to add to this part...of course they did.