Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Apparently deepfaking an entire movie would actually be more expensive than reshooting the thing from scratch.

Maybe they could just CGI the cowl to cover his whole face while in-costume, then reshoot or deepfake the scenes where he's out of costume?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Apparently deepfaking an entire movie would actually be more expensive than reshooting the thing from scratch.

Maybe they could just CGI the cowl to cover his whole face while in-costume, then reshoot or deepfake the scenes where he's out of costume?
Just replace his head with Henry Cavill's mustache.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'll say this. Movie studios will definitely think twice before casting a trans person in a leading role now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll say this. Movie studios will definitely think twice before casting a trans person in a leading role now.
You'd think so, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure Hollywood thinks it can't afford to be seen going against the charge they themselves have been leading.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I mean it sounds like WB wasn't doing their diligence in general.

If this fuck has been grooming kids and sending them dick pics for years, someone knew about it and a 90 billion dollar corporation could've and should've found out before they cast him as one of the most iconic super heroes of all time and put him in several hundred million dollar plus budgeted movies.

And then you have Amber Heard being a psycho, Affleck being a drunken mess during half of his shoots, the whole Whedon vs Fisher thing, etc.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Holy shit, DC, read the room. Look at this variant cover for an upcoming issue of The Flash, drawn by the director of Ezra's Flash movie:
Spoiler:
voAzS6nQEUTPCR9Cum2UkX-970-80.jpg.webp

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I watched Elysium (I bought a 3-disc Blomkamp set with that, District 9 and Chappie). Spectacular CG models and effects again. Interesting scenario with the rich living in orbit above the earth and the poor being second class citizens on the surface. The parole officer robot reminded me of the taxi driver in Total Recall. While she looked familiar, it didn't even register to me that Jodie Foster was in this until I saw her name in the credits at the end--I'm just not used to her playing a villain I guess, plus she's gotten older. Another solid sci-fi movie. The 2 making of featurettes on the disc were alright too (this was the first movie that a character Foster played was ever killed in, which I also didn't know until they discussed that).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Holy shit, DC, read the room. Look at this variant cover for an upcoming issue of The Flash, drawn by the director of Ezra's Flash movie:
Don't be surprised if we find out the director is another one of them.
I mean it sounds like WB wasn't doing their diligence in general.
Or it may just be that of the people who are drawn to be actors and have the drive to make it, there isn't a large pool to choose from who are moral and unbroken. Much like politicians. It may be that modern Warner Bros is just less competent at covering up for their degenerate, narcissist, sociopath sexual deviants than studios of the past.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Or it may just be that of the people who are drawn to be actors and have the drive to make it, there isn't a large pool to choose from who are moral and unbroken. Much like politicians. It may be that modern Warner Bros is just less competent at covering up for their degenerate, narcissist, sociopath sexual deviants than studios of the past.
Both but back in the day the studios really had that shit on lock. On site abortion doctors, guys like The Wolf from Pulp Fiction to hide bodies, muscle to intimidate anyone who wouldn't take money to keep their mouth shut. All kinds of nefarious shit.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Watched Chappie. Pretty good, although rather silly at times. It'd be interesting to see what kind of bizarre things would happen in a sequel with an army of Yolandi robots on the loose.

All in all, the Blomkamp DVD 3-pack was a winner.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Hitman's Bodyguard

Buddy film where they hate one another. Some funny parts but mostly boring and predictable.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Hitman's Bodyguard

Buddy film where they hate one another. Some funny parts but mostly boring and predictable.
I still can't believe that did well enough to get a sequel.

Reactions: Syn

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I won’t lie, I saw the first one in the theater.

I think it came out when I had a week off work and I went to some cheap shows in the weeknight evening and caught 4 movies that week, mostly of stuff I’d never regularly go to.

But I like going to the movies, which now that I think of it probably has something to do with why I enjoy the Marvel shit. I’ve never actually seen more than a handful of marvel flicks not in the theater (not do I have any interest in rewatching them.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched the Gamestop stock shenanigans documentary on Netflix. It was about twice as long as it needed to be and was filled with horrible meme montages and unbelievably grating music. It was pretty tough to get through.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Got around to seeing Top Gun Maverick w/ my dad because it's what the old sailor wanted for father's day. Nothing really earth-shattering to add... Tom Cruise makes another totally serviceable, entertaining popcorn movie with all of the jingoism and homoeroticism of the original. The dogfighting is really well-shot and it does the nostalgic emotional manipulation thing that so many other very late sequels have been attempting lately but pulls it off without being treacle. I was never a big fan of the original (apart from the soundtrack) but I can see why people were so impressed with this. They didn't fuck it up.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've noticed an uptick in military recruitment advertising lately. Probably not a coincidence.

Last edited:

100proof

10 Year Member
Not even remotely. There were supposedly recruiters showing up at some screenings early on which is sleazy as fuck.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You can support Scientology and the military dystopia all at once. That's American efficiency right there.

100proof

10 Year Member
IIRC, they didn't actually provide any financial support so much as provide them will all of the legit equipment. Let them use naval air bases, real planes, real carriers, etc. In trade, they got to tweak the script. I imagine it's the same deal with this movie.