Moving past "stuff"

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I sold all my neo stuff for a vewlix cab. So apart from a ps4 and a pc that's all I got. Emulation all the way now, I just can't be fucked dropping coin like I used to hunting down games just to masturbate over them and chuck them on a shelf.
You don't like masturbating ?

• Haha
Reactions: @M

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
records a fooking heavy. I hope your floor is reinforced.
I have a main record library in the living room on a big shelf. For bands I’m way too into and buy every dumb thing for (Factory Records, Vince Clark, KLF, etc) I have a shelf in a bedroom because that shit is just annoying when you’re trying to casually listen to music with people. I also have a cedar chest full of 12” and 7” singles in the living room and a book shelf in another room that is “shit can of history” for stuff like Barry Manilow and Bill Cosby.

So…probably about 700lbs but very spread out.

Records aren’t heavy. Having 1200 records is heavy. Having 1200 laserdiscs is REALLY heavy.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I was a vinyl DJ for a long time, so my collection is everything from dollar bin to rare white labels. A large percentage are UK imports of 1000 or less piece pressings of dance music. The other huge chunk is mostly hip hop, and then maybe 10 percent is albums I listen to through. I track them on discogs for a few reasons, overall count isn't a main one but it's good to know.
Are you familiar with WCBN/Crush Collison?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Are you familiar with WCBN/Crush Collison?
A bit, yeah. I was closer to MSU, I wasn't a resident DJ on the air but I did play "The Mechanical Pulse" on 88.9FM (The weekly electronic show).

I liked the Cultural Vibe with DJ Benny Ben, long running hip hop spot on that same station.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
A bit, yeah. I was closer to MSU, I wasn't a resident DJ on the air but I did play "The Mechanical Pulse" on 88.9FM (The weekly electronic show).

I liked the Cultural Vibe with DJ Benny Ben, long running hip hop spot on that same station.

I remember the Mechanical Pulse when I lived in Jackson for a mercifully short period. Is it still going?

I’m not currently on the schedule at WCBN but I’m going back eventually. I had a freeform show I put on hold a while back because of kid/work/COVID and I was also a rotating host on Crush Collision. Crush Collision is still pretty popular and a lot of students have been getting into it lately which is cool because the mean average CC DJ age was like 35 for a while…

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You don't like masturbating ?
Oh fuck off Mr Twerp from Antwerpen.

giphy.gif

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I remember the Mechanical Pulse when I lived in Jackson for a mercifully short period. Is it still going?

I’m not currently on the schedule at WCBN but I’m going back eventually. I had a freeform show I put on hold a while back because of kid/work/COVID and I was also a rotating host on Crush Collision. Crush Collision is still pretty popular and a lot of students have been getting into it lately which is cool because the mean average CC DJ age was like 35 for a while…
Lol Jackson... I used to get sent there almost every day when I was a cable installer.

I moved from Lansing area (finally) to Muskegon in 2018 so I haven't really checked on the Impact much since. I don't see the MP on their schedule anymore which would be sad but also it was getting pretty mainstream/edm-ey anyway.

I feel like in 2010ish every kid in Lansing with a MacBook and headphones was trying to get booked for shows. I wonder if that fad fizzled out or if I just aged out of that group.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
At WCBN it’s really amazing how student interest comes and goes. When I started there in like 2012 or so the schedule was healthy but there was only one person doing Crush Collision. To me that’s amazing. Then one year so many people signed on that they formed their own group, Memco, and there was an explosion of new DJs and musical directions at which point I just backed away and let them do it. COVID has really hit the schedule hard though and I need to get back here and help build up the schedule.

Crush Collision is, I’m pretty sure, the longest running dance music show in the world, even longer than Pete Tong even. It’s an extremely cool thing to be a small part of.