Final Vendetta by Bitmap Bureau

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
When I read comments, people either criticize it for looking archaic and uninspired - or because it looks and plays too much like a modern release. :uhoh:

I've tried it a bit and for the little I've seen, I find the game is really well designed (though I still don't like the general art style). At least, they can't be accused of taking the piss, especially if they actually bother releasing it on the Neo Geo, which they seem determined to do. :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I never see these modern releases as "true" Neo Geo games. More like an interesting new purpose for old hardware. So I try to judge them by their own merits. I haven't played this yet, but Xeno Crisis didn't make great use of the Neo Geo hardware.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I never see these modern releases as "true" Neo Geo games. More like an interesting new purpose for old hardware. So I try to judge them by their own merits. I haven't played this yet, but Xeno Crisis didn't make great use of the Neo Geo hardware.

Wasn't Xeno Crisis just a technical fudge to make it work on the Neo Geo?

Final Vendetta looks closer to being a Neo Geo game than Xeno Crisis... but I agree with others that the aesthetic isn't quite right. It'd be nice if someone actually developed a game like this specifically for the Neo Geo... and then ported it to everything else.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
All the characters walking animations makes them look like they are cross country skiing.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
From their xenocrisis kickstarter update

Final Vendetta release

As some of you may have noticed, we released our latest title, “Final Vendetta” last summer on all modern platforms - it was very well received with Retro Gamer magazine scoring it 92%!

And that leads us nicely on to the Neo Geo AES and MVS versions - thank you everyone that has been patiently waiting! With chip shortages and component price increases hitting everyone, we’ve been working on some revised PCB designs and alternative component options.

We’ll be locking these components down after pre-order - as we think it’s better to have the boards in hand ready rather than not have the parts. Fortunately we already have a good amount of Neo Geo plastic parts in stock for AES and MVS with more on their way soon.

Development on the software side of the Neo Geo port continues to go very well, with lots of behind the scenes improvements to our tooling and game engine. For example, we optimised our sprite processing pipeline to consider hardware sprite positioning for animation frames so as to minimise the hardware sprite total per horizontal line. A big shout out to HPMAN for all his DATlib improvements and tweaks to accommodate our changes!

We’re trying to do everything we can to reduce the time from pre-order to actual release. Over the next couple of weeks we will be finalising the remaining details of the collector’s editions and we aim to start the pre-order window at the end of April

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hey HPMAN is still around! I thought he'd left the scene a long time ago. Great guy, helped me out with some custom neo geo stuff back in the day, and his work was always first class.

Good to know he's still about. :)

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
This game very much has a SoR vibe to it.
I'm interested...

KGRAMR

Another Striker
When I read comments, people either criticize it for looking archaic and uninspired - or because it looks and plays too much like a modern release. :uhoh:

I've tried it a bit and for the little I've seen, I find the game is really well designed (though I still don't like the general art style). At least, they can't be accused of taking the piss, especially if they actually bother releasing it on the Neo Geo, which they seem determined to do. :)
Wasn't Xeno Crisis just a technical fudge to make it work on the Neo Geo?

Final Vendetta looks closer to being a Neo Geo game than Xeno Crisis... but I agree with others that the aesthetic isn't quite right. It'd be nice if someone actually developed a game like this specifically for the Neo Geo... and then ported it to everything else.
Hey, they are dead serious in porting Xeno Crisis to whatever console is capable of running it! They released N64 and GameCube porta, and they also confirmed in a magazine interview that PS1 and GBA versions are nearing completion, and BB are eyeing other platforms as well. It seems they really want to compete against Doom XD

Here are the remaining vintage consoles (that i know of) that can possibly run Xeno Crisis without mangling Henk Nieborg's artwork (call me stupid if you want XD): Amiga, Atari Falcon, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, PS2, Xbox, SNES and PC Engine.

With Final Vendetta, i think that after the Neo Geo Port they might port it to the platforms i mentioned excluding the SNES and PCE versions.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I don't know what the beef is with XenoCrisis aside from that swapped audio channel thing that just happened because no one had done it before. Certainly more game and more operator friendly than many a homebrew.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't know what the beef is with XenoCrisis aside from that swapped audio channel thing that just happened because no one had done it before. Certainly more game and more operator friendly than many a homebrew.
The swapped audio on MV-1C's wasn't the main problem. The problem was stereo audio wasn't right on all systems. Clearly the final build wasn't tested enough for audio problems.

Also, some people's systems weren't compatible at all (graphic glitches) without a hardware fix to the carts.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Shame they couldn't do the same price as Xenocrisis. I would have snapped it up in a haertbeat
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 07.50.08.png

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
Shame they couldn't do the same price as Xenocrisis. I would have snapped it up in a haertbeat
View attachment 66201
From their Kickstarter update:
Costs have risen dramatically in the last couple of years especially for PCB components and Final Vendetta on the Neo Geo requires 4 to 5 times the amount of ROM space as Xeno Crisis does. We have done our best to absorb these costs, resulting in a modest £30 increase in pricing for Final Vendetta.
Sounds fair to me.

(The £30 increase is, of course, relative to current XC pricing.)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Xeno Crisis was £199 originally before they finalized the cart design, which was a steal. Apparently it wasn't realistic, because by the time they started manufacturing it was £299.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Still cheaper than NG:Trash team releases, and you won’t have to wait 5 years.
True and better games at that. I do want to see some footage before I purchase

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Right now the price is 299 for Final Vendetta and 209 for Xeno Crisis after discounts.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
i'm in; hope they ship the MVS SCE with a nice shock box / insert or something (was missing from the Xeno CE) I noticed they offer a soft shell for Xeno on their website but it just looks like a repurposed AES vinyl soft shell.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Right now the price is 299 for Final Vendetta and 209 for Xeno Crisis after discounts.

Where are you seeing that? Shop.bitmapbureau.com shows me 466,95€ for the AES cart, with a discount of 35,78€. Even when converting that into pounds sterling it's a far cry from 299.

Did they say anything about EU friendly shipping? Had to pay around 45€ in taxes on top of the 199£ Xeno Crisis back then.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I see a lot of Hugo from SFIII in the moves of "The Gentleman". Think I saw some traces of Maxima, Vanessa and other KOF moves in other characters, but it was a little better disguised. Guess that's par for the course these days. I recall the recent Turtles beat em up was shown to have some recycles/redrawn Street Fighter Alpha stuff in it.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
Where are you seeing that? Shop.bitmapbureau.com shows me 466,95€ for the AES cart, with a discount of 35,78€. Even when converting that into pounds sterling it's a far cry from 299.

Did they say anything about EU friendly shipping? Had to pay around 45€ in taxes on top of the 199£ Xeno Crisis back then.

You’re probably seeing the UK price (inclusive of VAT) converted to euros. If you follow the checkout process far enough (and choose an EU country as the destination), you’ll see the ex-VAT price (see screenshot).

As to EU-friendly shipping, since you’re not paying VAT on checkout, and the value of the item is over €150 (the IOSS threshold), you’ll be liable for taxes and duties when importing the package into your country.

It’s a shame XC didn’t ship before the UK left the EU.

PS. Brexit can go fuck itself in the face (and technically, I think it’s already trying its best).

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 8