Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
FUCK YOU ALL TO HELL

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

It's not a bad thing... most shonen anime is homoerotic. Hugely muscled dudes yelling and crying about their friendships and their desire to be stronger.

Jojo's is the only one that has the guts to actually portray it as kinda gay.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Garden of the Dead

A Troma release (not produced) where prisoners get high off a chemical being stored at the prison, plan an escape and they get shot then buried. They come back to life wanting to get high again. 59 minutes of laughable everything.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I got the Robocop boxset by Arrow Video and watched all 3 cuts of the movie today. It's a really nice package, on par with the better Criterion releases and Robocop is surely a movie worthy of such treatment. The supplemental booklet that comes with it is really interesting, I'll probably watch a bunch of the special features tomorrow.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
10 minutes from the upcoming Shin Ultraman:

From the creator/director of Evangeleon (who cares), and director of the tedious Shin Godzilla. But this looks a lot more promising. I grew up with Ultraman the way some of you whippersnappers grew up with Power Rangers or whatever. I watched it every morning when I was 6 or 7 years old, so I am looking forward to this. My wife, on the other hand, is hoping life on Earth ends somehow before this hits theaters. She's not especially picky about how.

Also, this video is only available until tomorrow, so check it out now if you have any interest.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Anyone watch the new Beavis and Butthead?
I did.

Surprisingly, it plays out exactly like a Beavis and Butthead movie. No new jokes. It's all the same stuff you'd expect from them. It really feels like this was made when the show was in its prime. It's hard to say it's a bad movie because it is exactly what you'd expect from a B&B movie... in that respect, it's quite good. checks all the boxes.

Is it an engaging movie that will have you rolling over laughing? No... Not unless you transport yourself back into your 14 yr old body.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just watched the Beavis and Butthead movie as well. Agreed, it was entertaining, surprisingly lol. Figured it'd be old hat and... well it totally was lol

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Beavis voice was closer to the way it sounded in the 90s too. I don't know if they're using some kind of effects to get it closer, but the voice was noticeably higher pitched in the previous 2014 revival and Judge said it was because the original Beavis voice was too rough on his vocal chords at his age.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched it earlier today.

Incredibly stupid but enjoyable. Fire, fire, or something.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Light Sleeper
Willem Defoe is a street level drug dealer who is four years recovered from a drug habit. His local wholesaler is planning on getting out and going straight by investing all her drug money into starting cosmetics company. Defoe is both scared that he'll be out of a job and happy that this could be an opportunity for him to go straight too. But he's a fuck-up and in the back of his mind, he knows becoming a music engineer isn't a realistic goal. At the same time, he runs into his sober ex. He's pulled in all sorts of directions and ends up in dire straights.

The movie was written and directed by Paul Schrader, and you'll get what you expect. It's in the same vein as the other stuff he's written – Taxi Driver, American Gigolo, etc. If you think "1990 neo-noire," you're already halfway there. It's not great but its worth watching, especially if you have a soft spot for the grit and excess that came with the transition out of the '80s. The music is awful, though - some of the worst music I've heard in a movie. Recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Crash- The David Cronenberg one not the horrible Oscar bait one about racism.

One of the weirdest from Cronenberg and one of my favorites. It's about a guy who ends up falling in with a group/cult of fetishists who get off on car crashes and the injuries sustained from them. They even get together and stage recreations of famous accidents that killed celebrities. An amazing cast including James Spader, Holly Hunter, Rosanna Arquette and Elias Koteas who all give great performances. While not as visually icky and grotesque as his usual body horror it's still 100% Cronenberg. This is more subdued and has a very unsettling tone that is totally unique, there's a lot of layers to it. Cronenberg was really on some next level weird in the 90s between this, Naked Lunch and Existenz. Highly recommended but be warned this one is pretty fucked up.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Moonfall:

I will say this. For a shite movie, it was better than I thought it would be. But I mean, if you've seen Armageddon and the Day After Tomorrow, you've seen this, except rogue AI nanomachines that rise up against their creators (ancient humans from another galaxy), and before they are wiped out, they create giant arks in the shape of... (you guessed it) Dyson Spheres that (you guessed it) turns into a moon.

The only one that was successfully launched found this tiny corner of the galaxy and decided to build the planet and seed it with life.

AI finds it, wants to eat the white dwarf in the core, only thing that can destroy it is a disgraced astronaut, Halle Berry and the fat maester dude from Game of Thrones.

Instead of a nookyoolar bomb, it's an EMP.

Credits.

.5 out of 10.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Moonfall:

.5 out of 10.
So right in line with all of Roland Emerich's other shit.

Let me guess the fat guy from GOT is the comic relief that also just happens to be a computer hacker and conspiracy theorist?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So right in line with all of Roland Emerich's other shit.

Let me guess the fat guy from GOT is the comic relief that also just happens to be a computer hacker and conspiracy theorist?
Not particularly comic relief, but probably what would equate to it. He's a conspiracy nutjob that believes the moon is hollow and is obviously proven right lol

Oh also, he merges with the moon's AI, which feels like it was filmed about 45 minutes before it was actually shipped to theaters. Totally tacked on.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Not particularly comic relief, but probably what would equate to it. He's a conspiracy nutjob that believes the moon is hollow and is obviously proven right lol

:lolz: This is what society needs right now. More dumb shit to believe in.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would rather watch 5 Michael Bay movies back to back to back to back to back accidentally than watch 1 Roland Emerich movie on purpose once.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Night of the Comet- 80s as fuck sci-fi/horror/adventure about a pair of valley girl sisters who by a pure coincidence survive the apocalypse after the earth comes into orbit with the tail of a comet. The comet turns everyone directly exposed into sand, so the sisters wakeup to find LA almost completely empty except for a handful of survivors and cannibalistic half zombies. A bitchin' soundtrack, lots of neon and some dubious fashion and hair, a great little time capsule. Lots of recognizable character actors throughout and some fairly impressive empty shots of LA and matte work. It's not quite a classic but it's a lot of fun.

Last edited: