NEO GEO 29” Candy with Hitachi Monitor (Flyback needed)

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I just recapped my monitor and it was having trouble coming on. After rechecking my work, I isolated it to the flyback. I resoldered the connections and did continuity checks from the flyback traces to the next component. No breaks or opens. With a HV meter on the anode, I am not getting HV. After tapping on the flyback with a piece of wood, I get high voltage and a picture. Looks like something physically is loose in my flyback. I was able to duplicate this problem twice. Does anyone got a source for new flybacks?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
You best (only?) bet is to source a parts chassis from ebay or YAJ and rob it from there. Alternatively, you can drop in an MS9 if you're willing to change a few of the connnectors. I've seen it done on forums.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Doing some googling, looks like there is a “knock-off” version selling from Europe. Probably the same person who makes the NANAO 293X flybacks. They run about $100 shipped. I’ll probably take a chance on it.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I placed an order for one. I’ll post feedback once I get it installed. Unfortunately these aftermarket flybacks are the only option for large monitors like mine and the NANAOs. I have two Sega Blast City cabs and the 293X chassis are notorious for failed flybacks.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I got the new flyback (off ebay) in and it still didn’t solve the problem. After further investigation, I found two large diodes with cold solder joints. I did reflow the board when I capped it, but somehow missed these. After reflowing, the monitor fired up. Unfortunately the new flyback had mixed results. Although the flyback did work, the picture was very difficult to adjust. Plus the brightness knob had no effect. After warming up, I was getting lines because the picture is too bright. I reinstalled the original flyback and now everything is good. I’ll just hang onto the replacement…as a replacement. I will say the pins mounted up fine, but had to clip off some plastic at the bottom to get it to sit flush.

Last edited: