Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Playing around with streaming. I gave away my steam link some time last year, but the Deck does stream to my 2015 Shield TV just fine. The Shield controller and the Deck are detected as separate controllers, so I was able to play a few local vs. rounds of Ultra Street Fighter IV without messing with controller configuration. Retroarch treated the Shield TV controller as controller one and the Deck as controller two, so that might require some work.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@SML how goes the steam deck? Still playing or using other handhelds?

I’m in Q3 so still waiting…getting closer though.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm playing it every day. Half the time I'm messing around with emulation. Yesterday I was messing around with custom per-game settings and configuring the touchscreen input for Nintendo DS. Pretty simple to do, and I'm very happy with the results. Performance is great as long as you remember to match retroarch to the refresh rate of your screen whenever you switch the setting.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
@pixeljunkie has the aftermarket screen protector created any noticeable problems with the touchscreen?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
lol, dont do that. these are capacitive screens. Force does nothing.
I should say, "micro force" - before the finger barely had to make contact with the screen. With the glass protector it requires just a tad more deliberate of a touch.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Checked my spot and I'm in Q3.

I'm debating if it's a good idea to get it then, or just wait and see if Steam Deck 2 comes out later this year in case they decide to go the annual release route. Gabe confirmed they were already working on SD2 back in February.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
How did you check your place in line. I can't remember anymore what mine was supposed to be.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I finished the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster on mine last night, which is the first of many JRPGs I have lined up for it. One underreported strength of the hardware is the speaker. The combination of its quality and the Final Fantasy music was very nice.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
Got mine a wile ago and emudeck is awesome but i think the d-pad is realy bad, up down right left are ok but diagonal Inputs are the worst but everthing else is realy good

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I've just been running native (not steam) Retroarch through a shortcut in the steam menu since that's what I'm used to, but I'm trying out Emudeck now.

It's my fault for having uncurated full sets for older systems, but to keep my deck interface uncluttered I'll probably wind up using Emudeck for only the systems that don't work well under Retroarch.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Im an idiot and bought a metal slug collection on steam because it was on sale lol. I was wanting something to play on Day 1, instead of tinkering with emulators and what not.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Im an idiot and bought a metal slug collection on steam because it was on sale lol. I was wanting something to play on Day 1, instead of tinkering with emulators and what not.
Emudeck is really easy to install onto steam it's like a 3 step process. But do you have a link to the sale.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Emudeck is really easy to install onto steam it's like a 3 step process. But do you have a link to the sale.
It's the Steam Summer Sale. Just search for metal slug. It was just a bundle of MS1, X, and 3. They have a bunch of the Neo-Geo releases on steam. Not sure as to their quality.

This may be dumb but im assuming any ROM is still just a google search away? I have not done any emulation in 15+ years.