USFL 2022 Thread

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Great opening week for USFL. My team, the Tampa Bay Bandits, had a decent showing and managed to come out on top of Pittsburgh. Jordan Ta'amu needs some work, but I think he'll get better throughout the season. I think New Orleans looked the best out of the games I saw.

Week 2 is "Rivalry Week". Should be a great week.

USFL is so much better than the CFL from what I've seen so far.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Looks good however with all the games played in one location this year is not going to win over the fan base. Though they failed, at the least the XFL and AAF played their games in the teams' respectful cities. We'll see how the season goes.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Trump is going to figure out a way to ruin it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I’m old enough to remember when the Stars left Philadelphia for Baltimore. Actually the Stars had Jim Mora as their coach and were way better than the Eagles at the time, which upset me they were the ones leaving since I was too young to know any better. I don’t even think a lot of Eagles home games weren’t blacked out back then. I love how the new Stars look exactly like the old ones design wise.

I watched some of the NJ/ Birmingham game and enjoyed it. I wanted to watch the Stars but a friend came over for Easter since both of our families had other things going on and he didn’t want to watch it. I did tune into it for a few snaps and actually the first play I saw someone from my University, Jarey Elder, I saw play when he played there was playing for the other team and he made a play on the Stars QB, which was kind of cool to see.

Plus I hope it doesn’t go under before we can see this guy in action.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offb...r-weird-new-mascot/ar-AAWfWNU?ocid=uxbndlbing

Blobby

98E13AA9-5217-4B5E-9F2C-30D5C4AC0391.jpeg

Last edited:

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
i forgot to write an update last week. i'll make sure i get to it this week after today's games.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Never even heard of it. Not really familiar with the "CFL", either.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Never even heard of it. Not really familiar with the "CFL", either.
The USFL was originally the most legitimate NFL alternative since the AFL merger. It ran 3 seasons in the mid 80s and they had guys like Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie, Doug Williams, Gary Zimmerman, Bruce Smith, Brian Sipe, Sean Landeta, Steve Young, etc. Several NFL pro bowlers and even some pro football hall of famers. But they couldn't keep costs under control and in a desperation bid announced a move from spring to fall to compete head to head with the NFL, and that dried up what fan support they had entirely. Great football and several teams had great fanbases but they had to spend too much to do it and it died off.

The new league is just using the original's trademarks and logos and the teams are made up strictly by guys that can't make NFL or CFL practice squads and nobody cares about it. They'll be lucky to make it through their first season without folding.

The CFL is just the Canadian Football League, been around forever. Basic was just mentioning them because he knows people here such as myself and Gekiga follow that league closely. But they play a different rule set than the NFL or USFL, so it's a very different game (3 downs instead of 4, longer and wider field, 20 yard endzones, goalposts at the front of the endzone instead of the back, single point given up for taking a touchback, all receivers can be in motion towards the line of scrimmage at the snap, 12 players on the field instead of 11, etc). And in any case, the CFL pays way better than the USFL. These USFL guys are making under 5 grand a week; there are CFL guys making over half a million dollars.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The USFL was originally the most legitimate NFL alternative since the AFL merger. It ran 3 seasons in the mid 80s and they had guys like Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie, Doug Williams, Gary Zimmerman, Bruce Smith, Brian Sipe, Sean Landeta, Steve Young, etc. Several NFL pro bowlers and even some pro football hall of famers. But they couldn't keep costs under control and in a desperation bid announced a move from spring to fall to compete head to head with the NFL, and that dried up what fan support they had entirely. Great football and several teams had great fanbases but they had to spend too much to do it and it died off.

The new league is just using the original's trademarks and logos and the teams are made up strictly by guys that can't make NFL or CFL practice squads and nobody cares about it. They'll be lucky to make it through their first season without folding.

The CFL is just the Canadian Football League, been around forever. Basic was just mentioning them because he knows people here such as myself and Gekiga follow that league closely. But they play a different rule set than the NFL or USFL, so it's a very different game (3 downs instead of 4, longer and wider field, 20 yard endzones, goalposts at the front of the endzone instead of the back, single point given up for taking a touchback, all receivers can be in motion towards the line of scrimmage at the snap, 12 players on the field instead of 11, etc). And in any case, the CFL pays way better than the USFL. These USFL guys are making under 5 grand a week; there are CFL guys making over half a million dollars.
I'm really digging the new Winnipeg Blue Bombers alt jerseys. They remind me of the CFL USA 1990s jerseys:

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
welp...i'm terrible at picking teams. i made the tampa bay bandits my usfl team, in honor of @wyo, and they failed miserably. they are now out of the playoffs and ta'amu sucks dick.

birmingham got their perfect season ruined by houston and have not looked good the past few weeks. i think the nj generals are the favorite to win it with the philly stars being a dark horse team.

Reactions: wyo

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I was torn between picking from Pittsburgh Maulers and Michigan Panthers, but both were equally bad. I imagine Birmingham's key to being good was to actually play in front of their own hometown fans for the whole regular season.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
the innaugural usfl championship is gonna happen this sunday between the philadelphia stars and the birmingham stallions.

the stars were able to get an upset against the nj generals to get into the championship. however, they've been looking dangerous all year and the 2 qb system the generals were using was dumb as fuck and i'm glad they got punished for it finally.

the stallions continued their year long dominance and beat the new orleans breakers as kyle sloter contined to do kyle sloter things.

trivia: the stars have been in every usfl championship since the start of the original usfl

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had no idea this was happening. I was just talking with friends last night how there is no minor league for US football.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
This is kinda like a replacement for NFL Europa.
I liked NFL Europe when they were around though in its final season it was five teams in Germany and Amsterdam. Still remember its first two seasons when it was called World League of American Football (WLAF). People used the initials to call it 'What a Laugh' :tickled:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I liked NFL Europe when they were around though in its final season it was five teams in Germany and Amsterdam. Still remember its first two seasons when it was called World League of American Football (WLAF). People used the initials to call it 'What a Laugh' :tickled:
Yep, the days of Ohio Glory and Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, and before it was Birmingham Fire in Alabama.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This is kinda like a replacement for NFL Europa.
Except NFL Europe guys made 10X as much in 2005 as these guys do now.

What this league is, specifically, is all the guys who weren't good enough to be training camp bodies for NFL or CFL teams.