How do you feel about drone light shows as an alternative to fireworks?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just watched a story about this on the local nightly news. Basically, they program a bunch of drones, with different colored lights, to buzz around up in the air together in formation, making different shapes, like Lite Brite in the night sky (also game sprite-esque). Kind of neat, but, it doesn't have the literal bang of actual fireworks either. They're pushing this as a safer, greener alternative.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The concept on its own is interesting, like any display (laser, drone, fireworks, liquid-light, whatever) but it's not a substitute or replacement for fireworks.

If I want fireworks, I want fireworks.

Drones are a poor substitute for fireworks and are best suited to doing other things. The synchronized micro-drone swarm stuff is very, very, very cool - but it's not fireworks, nor should it be compared to them. It's its own thing.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Indeed. It’s a different thing completely, very cool on its own, absolutely not a replacement for fireworks.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Only people who hate FREEDOM hate fireworks 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I saw a drone light show and while interesting, they are not as impressive as fireworks.

The should fly drones over a firework show and try to avoid getting hit by the morter or the explosion.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's a disgrace. No fucking drones in my fireworks, never ever.

Drones should be used to kill terrorists.

There is no substitute for the real thing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Big fan of drones replacing fireworks. More drones, less dirty fireworks.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fireworks are not dirty, that's what the treehuggers want to make you believe because they hate it.

Besides, have you ever considered the problems during production of these drones? They're made of plastic, contain batteries that get manufactured with loads of energy and chemicals and are nothing more than problem waste in the making. I always find it laughable to no end when people suggest drones as a "environmentally friendly" substitute for fireworks. That's the new-gen green chums for you, big mouth, no brain.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Hell depending on what part of the country, yell PULL everytime one takes off. It'll take care of itself.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Fireworks or nothing lightshow with drones !? Sorry sounds like some thing for a club.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'd prefer the reverse, and have amazon research delivering parcels strapped to rockets

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I burn tires in my back yard at night to evade punishment.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
joe-dirt-fireworks.gif

6ea241a793e2cb91475b03aaafcdd30624ae35ed.gifv