Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
some people play dead games, but I have a hard time with it. Whether it's Star Trek TCG or Warhammer, dead games have a decreasing player base at all times.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
digging what I've seen of Squats so far. I haven't played GW war game in 20 years, but I may be starting some Kill team soon.
Painting some more AdMech just because they look neat.

IMG_2920.jpgIMG_2921.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
As far as dead games go, 3D printing his starting to make a difference in that. BFG, and Epic are both seeing an uptick in players because of that I believe. Not having to source out of print figures and stupid prices, is a game changer. Same thing with Inquisitor, as I've been seeing more interest in that as well. I've actually been thinking of getting rid of most of my Inquisitor stuff I've been hording as I can now just print bits and such to build characters.

Also, I agree about the AdMech stuff. Out of all the newer 40K lines and refreshes, that has been my favorite.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
IMG_20200628_153306.jpg

Painted these guys awhile back to use in a Blackstone Fortress scenario in the Blackstone Annual.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Gnarly. I've broken that staff about 5 times. These were some of my last BSF minis as well, so I really rushed them to complete the set. You kept your lines much tidier.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Gnarly. I've broken that staff about 5 times. These were some of my last BSF minis as well, so I really rushed them to complete the set. You kept your lines much tidier.
I just moved and had to glue his staff back on 🤣 thanks man! I just picked up Cursed City, looking forward to painting that even though I haven't finished the BF expansions.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Just picked up the Hours Heresy age of darkness box.

I'm a little shocked at how many pieces the tank is in. A lot of assembly on that one. The figures are pretty nice and more modular than I had expected. Over all it's a nice, though still pricey box deal.

Waiting for some bits and stuff to arrive so I can start on the journey of building the figures. I wanted to get into the 30k stuff but didn't want to get into all the Forge World stuff to do it.

Been working on some Battletech stuff as of late also.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m resisting the urge to jump in to 30K but I want to play Loyalist Thousand Sons (Magnus did nothing wrong :emb:)

PS: Fuck the Space Wolves.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Summer, can't be arsed to sit indoors and paint. Did order Epidemius though, always wanted that model, shame the metal ones on eBay go for silly money so I went with the resin one, hope I won't get a bum cast.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I finally painted a mini for the first time in like a decade (eek!) - I got a 3D printer (FDM) last month and it has just blown my mind. So much so that I invested in a resin printer with the intent to print minis, and yes, finally paint them.

What pushed me over the edge was seeing the new(ish) Army Painter Speed Paints. I am lazy and perfectly content to prime black, heavily dry brush white, and then do a single once over with these speed paints. They're almost like washes though I see them compared to GW's contrast paints a lot (not familiar with them, last GW paint I bought was from when they had just changed their pot shapes and put out their own line of washes.)

Anyway with that combo I painted this old GW Gandalf miniature from the LotR line (it's probably from 2002, though undoubtedly GW is still using the same sculpt) I had in a bitz box.

I'm going to be building some war bands for Frostgrave, which if you don't know, is a mini-agnostic skirmish game that leans in to narrative and campaign play. You play as a Wizard, his Apprentice, and some hired thugs as you loot the thawing magic city of Felstadt ("Frost Grave") in search of ancient magic relics. I've given the rulebook a once over and it's pretty nice, lot of things to like.

I've wanted to get back in to skirmish stuff for years (I have an unpainted starter of Marvel: Crisis Core, Fallout: Wasteland Warfare, and Star Wars: Legion I've bought over the years with the intent to play) but just have not found the motivation. The 3D printing stuff really sent me over the edge. The tech isn't consumer grade...yet, but it's pretty damn close, plus it's as inexpensive as it's ever been. Seriously I couldn't believe how cheap this stuff was.

With the ability to print my own figures I decided to seek out miniature agnostic systems. I love 40K to death but I'm just never going to play it again and as much as I'd like to play Fallout or Crisis Core I just don't want to be locked in to buying expensive minis from a single brand. I want to find some cool miniatures and then add them to whatever game I'm playing.

Yeah, I could have been doing that all along, but no way I'm showing up to a game store with a full proxy army.

Frostgrave seems pretty good, I had no idea Osprey started a gaming division a few years back. I have some of the history books and I think an entire book on how to paint a Panzer IV (lol.)

I also picked up Song of Blades and Heroes, another fantasy skirmish ruleset (with a really neat activation system) and Rangers of Shadowdeep which seems to be a cooperative skirmish based lite RPG.

Are GW games all still I Go, You Go?

Couple months back I did pick up a bunch of metal Star Trek minis for use with Starlfleet Battles/Federation Commander. I've got Federation, Romulan, and Klingon Ships. I plan to use them with a Star Trek RPG I'm going to GM. I kind of stalled out on that project but now I'm excited so we'll see how that develops.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Last shit I finished. That plague spewer on the crawler broke of so many times holy shit thats why its so wonky.
(yes I know the Forgefiend isn't a proper Death Guard unit, doesn't matter in our private play though)
20220706_210942.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
You'll have to let us know how the Resin printing goes. I bought a few resin mini's to paint for a campaign, and I was amazed at the quality. Feathers had grooves and the bow had a thin arrow, all printed in Resin. I have intionally held off on buying one because I have a big enough backlog as it is. The new 6k screen are amazing tho.

Osprey has turned into one of my favorite gaming companies. Their boardgames are all really good and great quality. I would recommend looking into Rangers of Shadowdeep. It's a narrative co-op campaign with agnostic miniatures. The D20 can be a little volatile, but the book and campaign are great.

I am enjoying the army painter speed paints. Some good aspects, some bad.... It has really made leather much easier to paint. I like putting the brown on top of my gold to dull it down. I find I'm using it more as a heavy wash than as a layer paint. The reactivation has caught me a few times. I use a plastic palette and i'll accidentally reactivate some old paint or speedpaint. I've also stripped top layers by stippling too much with speed paint.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube who will apply varnish in between layers of his air-brush and he does the same for speed paints. I might try that.

I need to get a few more paints for metallics and dry brushing. Sadly (and I guess not unexpectedly) all my old GW paints were 100% dried out lol.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube who will apply varnish in between layers of his air-brush and he does the same for speed paints. I might try that.
I remember people doing that, it was called the "Future Floor Wax Dip" haha. The idea was to mix varnish and paint, briefly dip the entire model into the mix (yes literally dip the model in), and when you pull it out the darker colors naturally flow into the recesses of the model. Was a thing around 2000-ish.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I definitely remember that lol. I don’t think this guy is doing the dip method lol. I think he does a light spray varnish to “protect” his thin spray layers and paint on top.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Resin 3D printing has really changed the game on miniatures. Also, being a long time collector of some lines, I've noticed that it has changed the price as well. I have been into Battletech since back in the 80's and over the last few years I've watched the price come way down on the vintage figures once people started recreating them as printables. The same thing can be said about the 54mm Inquisitor miniatures I collect. They have really seen a decrease in price.

Overall as a collector, I think this is great. For years I've horded up figures and bits for when I wanted to build a new figure or do some customization, and now I really don't have to. I've been printing out parts for figures as needed to mod them or just entire figures. There are a lot of people designing some amazing figures now and printing has become a lot more user friendly. Some of the new printing tech starting to trickle down is pretty cool and looks to improve things for the home user. I'm rather excited about the hobby as a whole as I think 3D printing is one of the best things to happen to miniature gaming in a long time.

I've been working on painting up some of the new Catalyst Battletech miniatures the last few weeks. I finished a lance of mechs this week so may as well throw out some pictures. Also, I pooped out some 3D printed bits to add to some of them. Some custom bases I made, and then modded some flags and little horns. I think actual painting time was about 2 hours or so per figure give or take. Also, some of the custom dice I made a few years back are in the background.

DSCF1986.JPG

DSCF1989.JPG

DSCF1990.JPG

DSCF1991.JPG

DSCF1992.JPG

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Resin 3D printing has really changed the game on miniatures. Also, being a long time collector of some lines, I've noticed that it has changed the price as well. I have been into Battletech since back in the 80's and over the last few years I've watched the price come way down on the vintage figures once people started recreating them as printables. The same thing can be said about the 54mm Inquisitor miniatures I collect. They have really seen a decrease in price.

Overall as a collector, I think this is great. For years I've horded up figures and bits for when I wanted to build a new figure or do some customization, and now I really don't have to. I've been printing out parts for figures as needed to mod them or just entire figures. There are a lot of people designing some amazing figures now and printing has become a lot more user friendly. Some of the new printing tech starting to trickle down is pretty cool and looks to improve things for the home user. I'm rather excited about the hobby as a whole as I think 3D printing is one of the best things to happen to miniature gaming in a long time.

I've been working on painting up some of the new Catalyst Battletech miniatures the last few weeks. I finished a lance of mechs this week so may as well throw out some pictures. Also, I pooped out some 3D printed bits to add to some of them. Some custom bases I made, and then modded some flags and little horns. I think actual painting time was about 2 hours or so per figure give or take. Also, some of the custom dice I made a few years back are in the background.

View attachment 58809

View attachment 58810

View attachment 58811

View attachment 58812

View attachment 58813
Was just about to comment that I have been playing BattleTech. Glad to see other people here playing. Good minis.
Btw....
Fuck the Dragon... Kurita scum.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Battletech is something I've always been interested in, but never owned, I remember loaning the rules from my local library back as a kid and playing a few times with proxy miniatures.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
some people play dead games, but I have a hard time with it. Whether it's Star Trek TCG or Warhammer, dead games have a decreasing player base at all times.
Is there any particular reason for wanting to play with the current rule set, do you play in tournaments or something?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@FAT$TACKS where do you usually find bits and other stuff for your 3D prints? I've been buying some .stls on a couple different sites but I always appreciate free stuff, lol.

Those battle tech minis look cool. I have some older(ish?) Battletech set that I bought maybe 10-12 years ago but never really got in to playing. The mechs it came with were pretty poor in terms of quality, they're super cheap single piece, hollow, injection molded. I could definitely print something better.

@NeoSneth - I got the Rangers of Shadowdeep ruleset yesterday, looks pretty great and like a deeper co-op version (with a different theme) than Frostgrave. Glad to see they're both mechanically related, I can only remember so many rulesets these days.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
@FAT$TACKS where do you usually find bits and other stuff for your 3D prints? I've been buying some .stls on a couple different sites but I always appreciate free stuff, lol.

Those battle tech minis look cool. I have some older(ish?) Battletech set that I bought maybe 10-12 years ago but never really got in to playing. The mechs it came with were pretty poor in terms of quality, they're super cheap single piece, hollow, injection molded. I could definitely print something better.

The old plastic mechs were kind of crap. Up until now I only messed with the metal ones but some of the molds for those have gotten pretty awful over the years.

As for finding free .stl files.

https://www.yeggi.com/ This is pretty good but a lot of stuff will have broken links as they don't take down listings for stuff that is no longer there. The up side is that the next two sites I'll list, will show results through this site when you search.

https://cults3d.com/ Lots of free stuff here too. I think you can sort by it being free or not, but their search isn't all that great.

https://www.myminifactory.com/ some free stuff here too.

Those are the places I use the most.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also...are minis creeping up in size? I thought 28mm heroic was the "standard" but seems a lot of the stuff for sale is 32mm heroic.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
GW stuff is definitely suffering from scale creep, also the new centerpiece models are borderline ridiculous, how are you supposed to transport something like this, or use it in a game in any meaningful manner:
99120207076_OBRKatakarosMortarch01.jpg

Watch out, it's spooky skeleton Terminator and his cronies on their moveable ruin!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, a lot of the stuff I've been looking at is way too intricate/detailed...are they designing minis for people who make dioramas or who actually play games?