80s Action Movies You'd Recommend to N00bs

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Been a long time since I was back (work at the hospital has been brutal lately - getting a lot more pediatric cancer patients from all disease sites so our office has been busy) but since so many of us on the forums grew up with 80s action films, which would you recommend to someone who's never ever given them a chance? Would it be anything from James Cameron or John McTiernan, or would you go the Hong Kong route?

Attachments

• tumblr_p4i3inEXsR1v6w3juo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_p4i3inEXsR1v6w3juo1_500.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Yeah, Big Trouble is a good one. Nice mix of comedy with the action in that one. For first timers, I'd stick with the old warhorse standards. Stuff like Die Hard, Predator, Indiana Jones trilogy, Road House, or just a little deeper into the genre like Bloodsport, Commando, Escape from New York, etc. The well-known ones are classics for a reason. If someone takes a liking to the genre, you can take a deeper dive, but best to start with the standards.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
People that only watch either eastern or western action movies are missing out on so much.

Honestly If it's for someone new I'd just go down the list of T1&2, Die Hard, Aliens, Predator, First Blood etc. and throw in some Jackie Chan and other HK stuff before digging into the B grade stuff.

Here's some that don't come up too often but are solid.

Full Contact
Drive (The Marc Decascos one)
Flashpoint
SPL/Killzone
Jackie Chan's Crime Story
Millionaire's Express
Dragons Forever
I Come in Peace
Stone Cold
The Big Hit

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Oh yeah Flashpoint fucking rules! I love the tangerine dream soundtrack for this.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Cant go wrong with the Chuck Norris, Stallone, Schwarzenegger flicks. But if you also want some comedy you could do stuff like Hard Ticket to Hawaii, etc.

Reactions: Syn

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Death Wish series from number 2 onwards. I'd strongly recommend the first but that was 1974.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Rambo: First Blood Part 2
Extreme Predjudice
Above The Law
Raw Deal
Commando
Tango & Cash
Action Jackson
Cobra

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
People that only watch either eastern or western action movies are missing out on so much.

Honestly If it's for someone new I'd just go down the list of T1&2, Die Hard, Aliens, Predator, First Blood etc. and throw in some Jackie Chan and other HK stuff before digging into the B grade stuff.

Here's some that don't come up too often but are solid.

Full Contact
Drive (The Marc Decascos one)
Flashpoint
SPL/Killzone
Jackie Chan's Crime Story
Millionaire's Express
Dragons Forever
I Come in Peace
Stone Cold
The Big Hit
SPL is one of the best action movies ever made, hands down. Sequel is surprisingly decent but the original is fantastic.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
SPL is one of the best action movies ever made, hands down. Sequel is surprisingly decent but the original is fantastic.
Indeed. Donnie Yen and Jing Wu are at the top of their game.

Also I realize I listed stuff not from the 80s in my OP and I think if you really want to find some great but overlooked action stuff you need to look into the early 90s more. The direct to video market was nuts at that point. Also some of Jackie Chan and Jet Li's best work was done in the 90s.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Karate kid . Any Stallone, Schwarzenegger flick , deadwish , Dirty Harry actually any Clint Eastwood .

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is any Dirty Harry flick after Magnum Force worth watching?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Just pick any action movie from hong kong, 1980-1989, you cannot pick a non-entertaining movie if you try.

View attachment 58819

It was a magic period. I would say it’s safe to go later into the 90s.

Supercop
Supercop 2
A Better Tomorrow 1&2
The Killer
Once Upon a Time in China
Warriors of Zu
The Green Snake
City on Fire
The Heroic Trio
Police Story (any)
New Fist of Legend
Twin Warriors

It’s a long long long list. The best action EVER, anywhere in the world, before or since. Supercop. Supercop, shit!