American Ninja series

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
How come no one mentions Ninja movies...One of the biggest craze in 80s

Revenge of the Ninja
Ninja 3
American Ninja series
The OP did in his follow up post, specifically Revenge of the Ninja.

Read more good.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
While searching a gif for the parody thread I found out The Big Boss was a lot gorier before censors in Hong Kong stripped the movie down.

images - 2022-07-28T093200.759.jpeg

Even if we can't see the scenes in any modern release this still makes the movie cooler. Watch the Bruce Lee films.
Yeah it's 70s and not 80s but idgaf. Watch it

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Would Escape from New York be considered Action?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Hmm nobody mention pray for death :rolleyes:
Lol, I remember I use to run around as a kid ending all my conversations by saying you better pray for death in homage of this movie.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Would Escape from New York be considered Action?

Heh, I was thinking this myself. I think it's more thriller than action film, but again potentially a film that blurs genres. Could 48hrs be classed as an action film?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
We've talked about this before -- which I feel obligated to mention before stage digs up a link to whatever old thread, like he's trying to accuse me of presenting this as a new thought or something -- but I consider Escape From New York to be an adventure movie rather than an action movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark, same thing. I'm not sure I know how to articulate the distinction, other than that an adventure movie may have action, but the action isn't the point of the movie. There may be some element of a quest involved. Like Lord of the Rings would get lumped into fantasy (for the obvious reason that it is fantasy), but in a larger sense, it is an adventure story. Whereas, despite all the action that happens, you'd never consider the Peter Jackson series to be action movies.

People often say action/adventure, because they're definitely adjacent. But I dunno. I see them as being related but different.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
We've talked about this before -- which I feel obligated to mention before stage digs up a link to whatever old thread, like he's trying to accuse me of presenting this as a new thought or something -- but I consider Escape From New York to be an adventure movie rather than an action movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark, same thing. I'm not sure I know how to articulate the distinction, other than that an adventure movie may have action, but the action isn't the point of the movie. There may be some element of a quest involved. Like Lord of the Rings would get lumped into fantasy (for the obvious reason that it is fantasy), but in a larger sense, it is an adventure story. Whereas, despite all the action that happens, you'd never consider the Peter Jackson series to be action movies.

People often say action/adventure, because they're definitely adjacent. But I dunno. I see them as being related but different.
I think it depends on if the _____ out weighs the _____ elements. Like in Aliens the action outweighs the sci-fi and horror, I'd say in Raiders the action and adventure are about equal, Romancing the Stone is also action/adventure but the adventure outweighs the action.

ESFNY is definitely more adventure than action, there's really not much action aside from some chases and a couple fights, most of the movie is just Snake going from place to place and interacting with people. He only fires his gun once. It's a hard one to classify as really it's a quasi-apocalyptic, sci-fi, action, adventure, thriller.

This is why I store my DVDs and BDs in alphabetical order rather than genre lol

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Did anyone mention The Best of the Best

and No Retreat, No Surrender

The second video is from No Retreat No Surrender 2 which sucks ass. The original is classic cheese fest.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Action and adventure are not mutually exclusive.

Big Trouble in Little China is Action, Adventure AND fantasy.

Aliens is Sci-Fi, and war (I won't call it horror).

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This is why I store my DVDs and BDs in alphabetical order rather than genre lol

When I was doing the metadata on my movie server, I would allow myself to 3 genres pre film... (But only in special circumstances such as for Big Trouble in Little China). Most movies were kept to two 3 genre selectors.

I strictly kept the list of potential genres small as to not have to have overlapping field selections.

Though Some third "Genre" selections were actually descriptive sub-genres such as "Buddy" which could be used for either a "Cop" or "Comedy" movie. Either way, if the client selected "Buddy" in the genre search field, they would get both "Lethal Weapon" and "Wedding Crashers".

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Lol, I remember I use to run around as a kid ending all my conversations by saying you better pray for death in homage of this movie.
:LOL: Second i rented the movie so many times on vhs i lost track damn that ninja craze of the 80's.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
If we're talking about American Ninja, then for me, AM2 & 4 are must watches. Haven't seen 5 tho.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
There's been a lot of mentions of Arnie's 80s actioners, from myself included, and I forgot to mention Red Heat... the shame.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I used to work at a regional video store chain called Chart Hits. The Blockbuster in the same town was right across the street and nowhere near as successful.

Back when VHS was the thing it was common for dipshit customers to drop the movies off at the wrong store, so naturally we had to arrange to…trade tapes with the opposition.

So one day my friend and I are at Blockbuster and we can’t help to ask questions about the totally stupid genre sections they had.

“What’s the different between “Hot Action”, “Super Action”, and “Schwarzenegger”?

“Hot Action has T&A, Super Action has bigger explosions.”

“Then what’s True Lies?”

“Super Schwarzenegger?”

Point: genres are stupid. However at some point they are needed. If someone told me to come to their house to watch a cool action movie and after I went out there I found out it was Halloween III…I’d be disappointed. If they don’t fight back, it’s not “action”, it’s just a snuff film. This goes for Alien and Terminator. Virtually all the famous Jackie Chan movies are “action” because he doesn’t just Terminate helpless people for an hour or two.

Big Trouble has pretty poor action scenes and you discover a lot of mysteries and shit, so it’s more Adventure just like National Treasure or The Goonies.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I used to work at a regional video store chain called Chart Hits. The Blockbuster in the same town was right across the street and nowhere near as successful.

Back when VHS was the thing it was common for dipshit customers to drop the movies off at the wrong store, so naturally we had to arrange to…trade tapes with the opposition.

So one day my friend and I are at Blockbuster and we can’t help to ask questions about the totally stupid genre sections they had.

“What’s the different between “Hot Action”, “Super Action”, and “Schwarzenegger”?

“Hot Action has T&A, Super Action has bigger explosions.”

“Then what’s True Lies?”

“Super Schwarzenegger?”

Point: genres are stupid. However at some point they are needed. If someone told me to come to their house to watch a cool action movie and after I went out there I found out it was Halloween III…I’d be disappointed. If they don’t fight back, it’s not “action”, it’s just a snuff film. This goes for Alien and Terminator. Virtually all the famous Jackie Chan movies are “action” because he doesn’t just Terminate helpless people for an hour or two.

Big Trouble has pretty poor action scenes and you discover a lot of mysteries and shit, so it’s more Adventure just like National Treasure or The Goonies.
cool story bro. the bolded section makes sense considering the autism you displayed with "psx" but too dumb to know prosecco isn't a cheese.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i predict a gundam related post will be made at some point.