Official A/V Thread

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
so, what kind of setups do you guys recommend for a home theatre system?

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watch everything on my iPhone on the toilet, home theaters are obsolete.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've never been into surround. 2ch ftw

Voltron. With that money I'd be trying to demo some kit and hear in person. Trying to think what I'd get for those speakers. What sensitivity are they?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Home theatres are extremely cringe in general. I need (want) a new phono pre-amp, currently using a pro-ject one that I got just because it was available off the shelf. I'm thinking about Linn.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Speaker setup A for movies: 7.1
Setup B for music: 2.0 rarely 2.1

Off course stereo is the way to go for music.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My office system is 5.1 with 2 corner subs. Most of the time only one sub is on.

For stuff like acoustic recordings I use stereo/direct thru on my amplifier, but for a pretty normal Sony receiver, it does quite a good job with music in surround. Properly balanced with both subs on, music in surround is a meditative experience. But I took the time to properly set levels and crossovers on the surround speakers, which I'm sure most people don't bother to do.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Home theatres are extremely cringe in general. I need (want) a new phono pre-amp, currently using a pro-ject one that I got just because it was available off the shelf. I'm thinking about Linn.
Puresound p10 or an ear 834p depending on budget

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
My phono preamp is my Ecler analog DJ mixer 😆
Well, I could always use my Formula Sound PM-90 (which sounds a lot better than the pro-ject) but it would mess up my Jacob Jensen/David Lewis design wankery.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Nice! I sprung for the Nuo 2.0 and eternal fader.

Eclers were like the RC Cola of mixers, back when it seemed like everyone that DJ’d had a Vestax or Rane.

I have many different mixers…all the way up from the My First Gemini, Numarks, Vestax, Rane, even a FlashFormer-lol.

The Ecler is my favorite.

If the new Pioneers and their ilk are Vewlix, the Ecler are NACs.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
My favorite mixer is probably the Urei 1620 or the Bozak CMA. The Formula Sound is a great piece of kit (I also had a PM-80 one time) but I've been wanting to go rotary for a long time now. Alpha Recording Systems might also be a contender. Allen & Heath is great value for money, I had a Xone 32 around twenty years ago, looks like something out of a Soviet missile command center though.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Eclers were like the RC Cola of mixers, back when it seemed like everyone that DJ’d had a Vestax or Rane.

I have many different mixers…all the way up from the My First Gemini, Numarks, Vestax, Rane, even a FlashFormer-lol.

The Ecler is my favorite.

If the new Pioneers and their ilk are Vewlix, the Ecler are NACs.
Pioneers were the club standard so I was used to them when I didn't bring my rig.

The Ecler is my favorite now. Believe it or not my 2nd favorite is a Numark (who I usually shit on). The Numark X6 is an awesome mixer with a much easier to use effects processor than the Pioneer. It opened up a lot of creativity if I was just using vinyl.

My ecler has a send loop, which I have a looper, flanger, and Hall of Fame II reverb on. It's mad fun.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have acquried a decent amount of new (to me) catv equipment, but for some of the things I can't figure out what they are used for.
One is an ESHP Heterodyne Processor and the other is ESHM Output Converter.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Heterodyne processor takes video signals and processes them into broadcast compatible signals. More something for a news station than home theater.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here use a tube pre-amp (along with a solid-state amp) to get more of a tube sound?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Finally upgraded our living room setup. Why didn't anyone tell me Optical cables can't carry Dolby Atmos? The future is weird, but this HDMI eARC (audio return channel) is pretty sick.

Our TV was an 8 year old LG, we replaced it with a new Samsung and good lord does it look nice. I usually match sound bar/soundsystem brand to TV brand for ease of remote control programming etc. Sound wise we did a sound bar with wireless sub and wireless rear receiver (the 2 rear speakers have to be wired to the wireless module but it's still nice). Having AirPlay instead of Bluetooth for music is awesome, sports sound great, I'm happy. It's not as beefy as my 5.1 system with 2 subs in my office but at least now the living room got a serious upgrade.

This Samsung TV has the main brains of the unit in a cable box looking unit. All your HDMI etc goes to that, and a single cable goes between the actual screen and that box. Would make wall mounting so much fucking easier especially without a full receiver.

I also like that the TV doesn't bitch at me to enable "smart" features. I have a Mac Mini hooked to it, I don't need my TV to run applications lol.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Oh shit I forgot, I got sent this CDP-55 for $20 plus shipping. Son of a bitch sounds amazing, and bless Sony for never changing the size of their AV equipment. Several decades between the CD player and receiver, and they look good together.

Attachments

• 20221128_143737.jpg
    20221128_143737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16