Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, Event Horizon is weirdly overrated these days (not sure why) but I always just assumed people liked it for the same reason people like stuff like Demolition Man: 90s cheese with a lot of good one-liners. That said, I genuinely love Larry Fishburne's character in it: he's like the polar opposite of the usual horror movie protagonist. Every step of the way, he's looking out for his crew's best interests and the second he realizes what's going on, he's like "we're leaving".

That said, the most recent time I watched it, it definitely doesn't hold up (the characters are largely broad stereotypes and the "horror" bits are hammy and lame) but I still consider it fun in a cheesy way. It's easily the best PWS Anderson movie (low bar, I know).

For years after it came out, my friends and I would blurt out, largely out of context "...I will launch TAC missiles at the Event Horizon until I'm satisfied she's vaporized. FUCK THIS SHIP!" and we'd laugh every time. That dude is the best.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would think the difference is palpable.

Daredevil got 3 seasons and a limited series, was featured in a mainline MCU film, and is getting an 18 episode "4th" season. People like Daredevil.

Batgirl has a show that was canceled, recast and then canceled and now a movie that is canceled. Thats 0 for 2.
Batgirl had a show? When was this? But it's fun seeing you get defensive about your little Daredevil. People like him! They do!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Batgirl had a show? When was this? But it's fun seeing you get defensive about your little Daredevil. People like him! They do!
Not to mention he took the argument in an entirely different direction just to reassure himself that DD is more popular therefore somehow a deeper and less ridiculous character.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Batgirl didn't have her own show. You're thinking of the recently canceled Batwoman series. Batwoman is a different character. But the Batgirl character has a pretty extensive TV/film history anyway.
-Yvonne Craig played Batgirl in the 1966 Adam West Batman series
-Dina Meyer played Baraba as both Batgirl (flashbacks) and Oracle in the 2001 Birds of Prey series on The WB
-Alicia Silverstone played Batgirl in the 1997 Batman and Robin film (this time Alfred's niece instead of Gordon's daughter)
-Savannah Welch plays Barbara/Oracle on the ongoing HBO Max Titans series
-Barbara appeared as a child in Fox's Gotham series and, though unnamed, Nolan's Batman trilogy
-Stephanie Brown appeared in a couple episodes of the CW's Batwoman series
-Cassie Cain appeared in the Harley Quinn Birds of Prey movie, even though she was nothing like the actual comics character
-Batgirl has been featured in at least 17 animated films (3 theatrical) and at least 15 animated TV series, most notably Batman the Animated Series

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ah, so forgettable that I confused her with another useless character in DC lore lol

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ah, so forgettable that I confused her with another useless character in DC lore lol
Yeah, your character who puts a mask with things sticking out of it to go into the city at night and punch people is so completely a different thing than another character who puts a mask with things sticking out of it to go into the city at night and punch people. Yours is loaded with symbolism and hidden meaning, it's really for adults! Not like that other company's comic book characters. They're for little kids! lol

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
lol thisll be the last reply I have to this ridiculous 'argument' but I don't remember talking about differences in the type of character, but rather the difference in popularity of the character. You seem to have been misguided/misunderstood/wanted to pwn someone on the innernet. . It must be all that jade you're loaded down with.

At any rate - have a nice friday kiddo. I hope your day gets better. Its the weekend!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just saw an announcement that Lady Gaga has confirmed that she'll be playing Harley Quinn in the Joker sequel film, to be released in 2024, and it's going to be a musical. Might work, especially for the female demographic, but, I would say that's not the kind of thing that's going to appeal to the majority of Batman fans. That said, it's 2 years away and a lot might change or it may never see release either.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Huh. So it is true. I saw someone mention it on facebook and thought it was fake news.

I mean, sure? I like Lady Gaga, you could call it a guilty pleasure but I ain't got no guilt, shes a badass. It'll be interesting to see how they go about this.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Smells like horseshit to me.

Lady Gaga can act but literally nobody wants to see a musical Joker movie. The only good that can come of this if it happens is that it'll really piss off all the incel Joker super fans.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
SubUrbia
A handful of recent high school graduates hang out behind a 7-Eleven (based on one in my neck of the woods). A few are nihilistic and have no goals of getting out of the suburb, but one has an arguably unrealistic goal of going to SVA (her high school art teacher was a perv and thought she was hot). Their former classmate – who has become an MTV hit – comes back to town on a tour stop, and the group has to reckon with their lack of success. The movie runs off of Gen X angst fuel, but it never really goes anywhere, fittingly enough.

You could make a lazy assumption that this is just Linklater's Clerks. But he's always been focused on suburban life. I've been to the location this is based on a million times, and even though the movie was shot in Texas, it felt a lot like the area. I think this is the biggest kick I got out of the whole thing. Otherwise, it's not really worth watching unless you're a big Linklater fan.

Nope
Not your typical UFO movie, but is a great addition to the genre nonetheless. It's not as good as Get Out, but is much better than Us, IMO.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
SubUrbia
A handful of recent high school graduates hang out behind a 7-Eleven (based on one in my neck of the woods). A few are nihilistic and have no goals of getting out of the suburb, but one has an arguably unrealistic goal of going to SVA (her high school art teacher was a perv and thought she was hot). Their former classmate – who has become an MTV hit – comes back to town on a tour stop, and the group has to reckon with their lack of success. The movie runs off of Gen X angst fuel, but it never really goes anywhere, fittingly enough.

You could make a lazy assumption that this is just Linklater's Clerks. But he's always been focused on suburban life. I've been to the location this is based on a million times, and even though the movie was shot in Texas, it felt a lot like the area. I think this is the biggest kick I got out of the whole thing. Otherwise, it's not really worth watching unless you're a big Linklater fan.
I remember Suburbia, I think that was the first movie I noticed Steve Zahn in. It's based on a play written by Eric Bogosian so it probably was initially meant to be set literally anywhere in the US at the time. It's pretty forgettable overall, the best thing about it is that Ray Wise is in it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I remember Suburbia, I think that was the first movie I noticed Steve Zahn in. It's based on a play written by Eric Bogosian so it probably was initially meant to be set literally anywhere in the US at the time. It's pretty forgettable overall, the best thing about it is that Ray Wise is in it.
It was based on his teenage years in a shopping area called Four Corners in Woburn, MA. In the movie they call it Burnfield, but they call a nearby town, North Reading, by its actual (though mispronounced) name.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
lol thisll be the last reply I have to this ridiculous 'argument' but I don't remember talking about differences in the type of character, but rather the difference in popularity of the character. You seem to have been misguided/misunderstood/wanted to pwn someone on the innernet. . It must be all that jade you're loaded down with.

At any rate - have a nice friday kiddo. I hope your day gets better. Its the weekend!
If you took 100 people off the street and showed them Yvonne Craig in her Batgirl costume and Charlie Cox in his Daredevil costume, I bet more people could name Batgirl.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Smells like horseshit to me.

Lady Gaga can act but literally nobody wants to see a musical Joker movie. The only good that can come of this if it happens is that it'll really piss off all the incel Joker super fans.

My assumption here is any musical parts are to highlight the fact that both Joker and Quinn are mentally ill. IE the musical bits are part of their shared delusion.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Huh. So it is true. I saw someone mention it on facebook and thought it was fake news.

I mean, sure? I like Lady Gaga, you could call it a guilty pleasure but I ain't got no guilt, shes a badass. It'll be interesting to see how they go about this.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Went to Bullet Train last night. Very much in the vein of those 2000s Guy Ritchie-a-likes like Smokin' Aces and Shoot-em-up (very chatty ensemble pieces where all the characters are killers with goofy names that intersect with each other and the action is kinetic and a little ridiculous). Brad Pitt is a snatch-and-grab artist with terrible luck whose mission is to grab a briefcase off of the japanese bullet train but quickly realizes there's way more going on.

It's silly and has more than its share of plot convenience/contrivance but it's fun and Brad Pitt is effortlessly charming as always. Most of the accompanying cast is game (though a lot of them get very little to do) and there are some pretty great cameos/extended cameos (Bad Bunny, the Puerto Rican pop/hip hop star, was in the trailer playing a vicious cartel thug and is in it just long enough to make an impression but not long enough to be exposed as a bad actor, the movie's final boss is played by a well-loved character actor hamming it up and there's a couple of other smaller ones I won't spoil). It's not going to blow anyone's mind but it's a fun two hours if you're in to that brand of action movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Highlander- I've always been surprised by just how big of a cult hit this became. There's 4 movie sequels, 2 TV series and a couple of animated spinoffs, that is a lot for something this goofy. While I enjoy the original movie quite a bit it's still a fucking mess. The dialogue is absolutely atrocious, the editing is terrible, the effects are often amateurish and the acting is either flat or completely stifled by the poor editing. The basic premise also just doesn't make very much sense.

It also has a lot going for it, Russell Mulcahy's experience in music video directing is on full display. The lighting, shots and camera movement are great and show off some awesome sets and scenery. The action while obviously dated is still mostly solid. Sean Connery while insanely miscast seems to be having a lot of fun. Clancy Brown as Kurgan is a fantastic bad guy and really pulls off the nastiness of the character with gusto.

The soundtrack by Queen is a bit off-putting at times and depending on your taste either enhances the movie or almost pushes too far into fantasy schmaltz and becomes almost comical. But it's still pretty cool nonetheless.

Overall the movie holds up better than a lot of action fantasy stuff from the mid 80s and is a good time but is still undeniably goofy.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Lightyear

It was ok. Sox was the best part. The "twist" they put on Zurg was lame. Had some good callbacks to the Allen voiced lines and all but.. average.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They/Them

Thought it was a basic slasher involving lgbt characters at reconditioning camp. I was wrong as the terror goes deeper.

It's on Amazon if you're bored. I say bored because I enjoy serial killers at camps movies so I liked it but it's not a oh my god you must watch it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, Event Horizon is weirdly overrated these days (not sure why) but I always just assumed people liked it for the same reason people like stuff like Demolition Man: 90s cheese with a lot of good one-liners. That said, I genuinely love Larry Fishburne's character in it: he's like the polar opposite of the usual horror movie protagonist. Every step of the way, he's looking out for his crew's best interests and the second he realizes what's going on, he's like "we're leaving".

That said, the most recent time I watched it, it definitely doesn't hold up (the characters are largely broad stereotypes and the "horror" bits are hammy and lame) but I still consider it fun in a cheesy way. It's easily the best PWS Anderson movie (low bar, I know).

For years after it came out, my friends and I would blurt out, largely out of context "...I will launch TAC missiles at the Event Horizon until I'm satisfied she's vaporized. FUCK THIS SHIP!" and we'd laugh every time. That dude is the best.
I legitimately liked Event Horizon....
Which reminds me of a cringeworthy memory. I had a date where I invited a girl over and we watched this movie. Except all we did was watch the movie, because I really liked it. It took me a good year to realize what I had done....

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Prey- Well I can say with confidence that this is the third best in the series behind P2 and just inches past Predators. It borrows so heavily from the first that by default it pretty much has to be. It's not overly woke horseshit but it is very girl power heavy. The CGI is terrible and cheap looking but the Predator itself looks pretty good. The action is solid and adequately gruesome, the Predators weaponry is on point and they add a couple new things that mostly work. The scenery is fantastic and the lead actress does a great job. The early 1700's pacific northwest setting works very well.

It is extremely flawed and takes some baffling missteps:

Spoiler:

-The you can't do stuff because you're a girl gets old in about 5 minutes.

-The french fur trappers are cartoonishly evil and serve no other purpose than to be fodder for the Predator. I know they're supposed to be evil fodder but they are so ridiculous that it's eye rolling.

-They setup the mud camouflage or you think they do but then do something else completely unnecessary. Then at the end you think they come back to the mud trick but again do something else.

-The finale of the final fight scene is totally botched. They don't establish the helmet/red dot tracking well enough so when she finally traps him and he's killed by his own weapon it doesn't really make much sense or at least it's such a big jump to conclusion that it completely breaks the potential effectiveness.

-They include the pistol from the end of P2 to tie them together but it feels forced and tacked on.

Overall I wasn't disappointed but I also wasn't surprised. It was just adequate.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
just wish it wasn’t on Hulu.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm actually a bit surprised that it didn't get a theatrical release. It's a good enough movie and aside from some of the CGI it looks really good and would have been awesome on the big screen. Plus I think it's a big enough franchise that regardless of how bad the last few movies are or how they performed $ wise that with a bit of proper marketing this would have been worth the effort to get a real release.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Especially if they wanted to promote any girl power stuff.

When is the last time we saw a serious action movie led by a woman? (Have we ever?) They're usually action-comedy or there is some stupid plot device for why it's an all-women cast, rather than an exceptionally tough woman just happened to get in a crazy situation.