Weekly Roundup

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Svvitch
Secret of Mana / Collection of Mana

I'm plowing through – prob 70% done. I just finished the Sage Joch bit, and my guys are lvl 40+. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this week. After that, I might pick up Live a Live.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Rise of the Tomb Raider- went back to this, I think I like it more than Shadow. It feels more gritty and the plot is slightly less ridiculous. My only real complaint is that it's pretty drab looking, I get that because of it's setting it kind of has to be but man that's a lot of grey.

KOF 2000- I've always been luke warm on this one and my opinion hasn't changed much over the years.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
PS4

Rise of the Tomb Raider- went back to this, I think I like it more than Shadow. It feels more gritty and the plot is slightly less ridiculous. My only real complaint is that it's pretty drab looking, I get that because of it's setting it kind of has to be but man that's a lot of grey.

KOF 2000- I've always been luke warm on this one and my opinion hasn't changed much over the years.
What don’t you like about KOF 2000?

I wouldn’t put it in my top 3 ( maybe top 5 even), but the amount of guest characters for one make it more interesting than many games in the series.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I hooked my Dreamcast up to a portable monitor this past week and had some fun playing some games I haven’t played in a while

7/24/22
SNES
Final Fight 3 - Played this all the way through, part of me wants to put this as the best in the series.

PS4
GG Aleste 3
Slipstream

Smitch
Tetris 99

Dreamcast
18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker
Flag to Flag
Virtua Tennis - I couldn’t beat Carlos Moya though
Breakers
Hydro Thunder - This didn’t work well though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
What don’t you like about KOF 2000?

I wouldn’t put it in my top 3 ( maybe top 5 even), but the amount of guest characters for one make it more interesting than many games in the series.
I don't know exactly, it's always just felt a bit off. I think it's something about the graphics and presentation coming off 99 which was so polished.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Switch
Pinball fx3 (still)
Cotton Reboot

Series X
Pinball fx3

Tried playing my SNES only to discover that apparently the PPU1 chip is most likely failing. :(

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Switch

I didn't have any time to play this week, so I didn't get to pick this back up until tonight. I think I'm 90% done – heading to the floating castle with all my guys about lvl 62.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
7/31/22

PS4
Aleste Collection
Slipstream
Son Son
Saturday Night Slam Masters

Smitch
Tetris 99

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Switch
Final Fantasy IX - beat this today, always a fun one and the speed up function is a godsend for these older and slower PS1 titles.

Trying to figure out what to play next with the games i brought

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4 - Nioh 2 NG+ found/unlocked some new side quests, the Demon Parade missions are also fun, a bit like puzzles where you have to figure out the right combination of equipment and items to survive/kill the enemies as efficiently as possible.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Ys Memories of Celceta- Well I knew this was a "remake" of Ys 4 but I didn't know that this was just a shoddy port of the Vita one. It's not Ys 4 in a newer engine, it's literally the Vita version. You can't even remap the controls for the PS4. Needless to say it looks fucking awful, like Dreamcast maybe PS2 level. The story is almost non existent, You show up in a village with amnesia and are hired to explore the surrounding area and fight monsters while regaining your memory. Which is actually kind of refreshing as so many modern jrpgs have embarrassingly stupid and convoluted plots.

On the plus side it's a very solid albeit basic action-rpg, your character handles well and the attacks are satisfying. There seems to be a pretty straight forward upgrade/item crafting system and the music is pretty fantastic which is to be expected in this series. Still I probably wouldn't have got it if I knew it was just a Vita port but the gameplay is solid enough that I don't regret it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Switch

Beat it. I love the game subjectively – it has so much charm and fantastic music. But between the AI, terrible translation (the mobile version has a new translation apparently), boring boss fights (just keep casting magic and healing), and minimal use of in-game storytelling or cinematics (def. not on par with FFVI) I'd also understand the argument that it's a shitty game. I'd love to see the other half of the game that got scrapped along with the Nintendo PlayStation. If that stuff were in there and if they had more time to polish it, it could have been even better.

Gonna start Live-A-Live tonight after I finish working.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Switch
Trials of Mana - there's a lot of pros and cons to this one. I can tell it's a super Nintendo game as a framework, but the action and skills are pretty cool to mess with. What gets me is the absolute terrible voice acting. I'm not a stickler for voice acting in most games, but this is so on obnoxious and terrible that I genuinely don't want to play with volume on. It makes me just want to play the SFC version, since the combat is solid.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I got some gaming in, all on PC. I bought a HitBox controller new from their online store and I've been messing around with it. After a couple of weeks I'm starting to get used to it, and it seems like it has its advantages with some inputs, and disadvantages with others. Overall, just feels like an interesting way to play fighting games.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: I bought this because rollback netcode was just added. I'm playing the story and didn't realize it was a directly tied to the RPG. I loved Persona 4 Golden on Vita and so far I'm having a good time with this fighting game. The story so far seems well written. I have yet to go online or play this in any serious way.

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (FightCade): My brother and I have been playing this a lot. It's better than I remember.

The King of Fighters XV: The online matchmaking seems a little broken. The graphics are not nearly as good as Street Fighter 5, but the "KOF Feel" is more intact than the previous games and the roster is good. I'm going to mess around with this game a bit more.

Guilty Gear Strive: Still the best fighter to come out in years IMO. Season 2 has now started with Bridget being the first character. I'll be interested to see what kind of balance patches and characters come this year. So far Arc Systems has really been on the ball with releasing patches that the whole community seems to be happy with.

DNF Duel: My interest is starting to fade as the game feels a little too combo heavy and the defensive options aren't great. You spend a lot of time blocking waiting for your turn to do the rad combos. There is a balance patch coming at the end of the month, I'll be curious to see what they do and if the game continues to be popular. I'm almost 50 hours into it, so I've at least got my money's worth.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nothing exciting, just playing WordBlitz on FB with my Aunt and Scatterslots on my phone.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xbox)
Enter the Matrix (Xbox)
Jaleco Arcade 1 (Evercade)

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xbox)
Enter the Matrix (Xbox)
Jaleco Arcade 1 (Evercade)
I played so much Battlefront on OG Xbox. Ar you just playing bots? That was a lot of fun. The second one was good and I know there are a couple new ones, I played the newest one a bit on PS4.

Weird.. but they are the best Star Wars games for me. Probably not a popular opinion.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Switch
Live-A-Live: I played through the first chapter. I was surprised by the amount of slapstick humor and how a lot of it is sort of an interactive cinematic – like there are very specific things you're supposed to do to advance the story and you're tightly guided toward them. I like it though, and I'm glad it finally got an official English translation.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Playing Sifu on PS5. I haven't been this addicted to a game since Death Stranding. Sifu is so good, absolutely one of my favorite games in a long time.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I played so much Battlefront on OG Xbox. Ar you just playing bots? That was a lot of fun. The second one was good and I know there are a couple new ones, I played the newest one a bit on PS4.

Weird.. but they are the best Star Wars games for me. Probably not a popular opinion.
Mostly playing against bots, sometimes my friend or my brother or my nephew.

The original Battlefront is the only one I like. Better map design, no mandatory space missions or whatever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Playing Sifu on PS5. I haven't been this addicted to a game since Death Stranding. Sifu is so good, absolutely one of my favorite games in a long time.
I hadn't heard of this, just looked it up and it seems pretty awesome. Brilliant concept and all the reviews are pretty positive. I'll have to keep an eye out for when it's on sale.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Switch
Trials of Mana - going around and fighting the Benevadons. The story sucks, but the gameplay is alright. The bosses are cheesing some broken moves that annihilated my party several times, it's getting annoying and i don't feel like grinding. May put this one down

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I hadn't heard of this, just looked it up and it seems pretty awesome. Brilliant concept and all the reviews are pretty positive. I'll have to keep an eye out for when it's on sale.

I just platnium Sifu. I never bother to chase trophies/achievements any more, but Sifu compelled me to do it. I beat it under 25, and also did the secret ending (which you have to beat the 5 bosses in a certain way).

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Series X
Lego DC Super Villains

Steam
SkullGirls 2ND Encore

Switch
Cruis'N Blast
Space Invaders Forever

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Switch
Quit on Trials of Mana, it just wasn't doing it for me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze - now this is more like it. Challenging platforming, levels are short enough to play in spurts without getting too much fatigue, and it's portable via the switch.