New Fatal Fury

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Maybe SNK can use some of that oil money to make their 3D look like 2D, like Arc System Works does.

Of course it'll probably look as nasty as XV.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'd still rather see the fan version of MOTW 2 on Neo Geo using the recently uncovered art before they title this MOTW 2.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think they should farm development at least partially to DIMPS or DotEmu. The latter would probably be a better fit.

Make it high res 2D a la Streets of Rage 4. Use Tonko's artwork as a base for the art direction.

Something to really set it apart from the mainline 3D games and give it the proper 2D sequel it almost had 22 years ago.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think they should farm development at least partially to DIMPS or DotEmu. The latter would probably be a better fit.

Make it high res 2D a la Streets of Rage 4. Use Tonko's artwork as a base for the art direction.

Something to really set it apart from the mainline 3D games and give it the proper 2D sequel it almost had 22 years ago.

I wish they would just make it on the Neo. Just pick up where they left off from before.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I wish they would just make it on the Neo. Just pick up where they left off from before.
Would be nice for warm fuzzies, but there's no way they're going to do that. Releasing it for long-dead hardware for the uber retro nerds with too much money to burn wouldn't make them the slightest amount of profit. You have to factor in getting dev-kit hardware (I doubt they still have it), cartridge manufacturing costs and logistics (good luck with the ongoing chip shortage, especially with those old EPROMs), re-hire staff that still remember how to develop for the Neo, and relying on selling enough carts to enough people who give a damn and can afford it.

Sure, you can port it and netcode it and all that, but why bother?

It needs to be on modern hardware with modern netcode, and, ideally, crossplay. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Just make it 2D or 2D-ish, make it awesome, and everyone wins. Hell, they can make it look and sound exactly like a Neo game, but using modern dev tools out of the gate without needing to rely on porting.

If it's still 3D like Sam Sho and KOF, then give it its own unique style so it doesn't just feel like an offshoot of KOF with different characters.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Would be nice for warm fuzzies, but there's no way they're going to do that. Releasing it for long dead hardware for the uber retro nerds with too much money to burn wouldn't make them the slightest amount of profit.

It needs to be on modern hardware with modern netcode, and, ideally, crossplay. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Just make it 2D or 2D-ish, make it awesome, and everyone wins.

If it's still 3D like Sam Sho and KOF, then give it its own unique style so it doesn't just feel like an offshoot of KOF with different characters.

I dunno, after playing so much of GG Aleste 3, new games for old systems by major publishers doesn't seem like such a bad thing at all

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
A picture with music meets the bare minimum requirement as a teaser.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Maybe SNK can use some of that oil money to make their 3D look like 2D, like Arc System Works does.

Of course it'll probably look as nasty as XV.

They’ve done this already…it didn’t keep them from going out of business, it didn’t make KOF XII/XIII a success, or Art of Fighting 3 for that matter.

What is needed are inspired creators, regardless of 2D/3D and they don’t have that so good luck with this game being anything other than a KOF XV roster change.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I dunno, after playing so much of GG Aleste 3, new games for old systems by major publishers doesn't seem like such a bad thing at all
The Game Gear game was a limited edition pack-in.

Would cost significantly less to develop and manufacture than a Neo-Geo cart. Modern consoles were still the primary target market.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Geez does modern snk even have staff that can program for the neo geo anymore? It's 90s crew just be retired by now to the degree they stayed with the company through the bankruptcy.

It would be funny if they didn't, so they are forced to contract out development to ng dev team.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
It's rare to have game developers on a AAA team that can do low-level programming. People are trained out of school in modern languages and the entire SNK team now works in Unreal. Sadly even 2D animation is getting pushed aside for 3D in schools. You just aren't getting enough young people that can do it. And those who do probably aren't working with limited technical budgets that old hardware enforces. Once you develop methods and tools for making products it becomes a lot of time, money and risk to switch employees over to something else. Putting aside all the business and marketing logistics, there are few people left at SNK that could even make a game for the MVS today. It'd be like hiring shoe cobblers to work for Nike.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The Game Gear game was a limited edition pack-in.

Would cost significantly less to develop and manufacture than a Neo-Geo cart. Modern consoles were still the primary target market.

Well yeah. Make it for the MVS then port it with all the fixins.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It's rare to have game developers on a AAA team that can do low-level programming. People are trained out of school in modern languages and the entire SNK team now works in Unreal. Sadly even 2D animation is getting pushed aside for 3D in schools. You just aren't getting enough young people that can do it. And those who do probably aren't working with limited budgets that old hardware enforces. Once you develop methods and tools for making products it becomes a lot of time, money and risk to switch employees over to something else. Putting aside all the business and marketing logistics, there are few people left at SNK that could even make a game for the MVS today. It'd be like hiring shoe cobblers to work for Nike.
When Sky Crawlers and Ponyo were being made at the same time, more or less, Oshii didn’t think he couldn’t get enough people in Japan who could draw planes well enough to do the movie without CG so he relented…meanwhile Ponyo uses zero CG. Was he wrong?

Probably not, it’s just that everyone in Japan at that level was already busy at Ghibli. It was one movie or the other. The talent pool was only half big enough…and that was like 12 years ago.

Good 2D animation is still being done…it’s just usually not in games anymore. It relies on human talent and what giant company wants that? Once you have a 3D model any dipshit technician can add moves or change the costumes or whatever. In the 2D days if you made a sequel you’d have to once again hire an artist. This seems upside down to project managers who prefer the most efficient software tool chain…rather than a chain of soft tools who can actually draw.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
When Sky Crawlers and Ponyo were being made at the same time, more or less, Oshii didn’t think he couldn’t get enough people in Japan who could draw planes well enough to do the movie without CG so he relented…meanwhile Ponyo uses zero CG. Was he wrong?

Probably not, it’s just that everyone in Japan at that level was already busy at Ghibli. It was one movie or the other. The talent pool was only half big enough…and that was like 12 years ago.

Good 2D animation is still being done…it’s just usually not in games anymore. It relies on human talent and what giant company wants that? Once you have a 3D model any dipshit technician can add moves or change the costumes or whatever. In the 2D days if you made a sequel you’d have to once again hire an artist. This seems upside down to project managers who prefer the most efficient software tool chain…rather than a chain of soft tools who can actually draw.
you're a soft tool

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Hah.
Yatagarasu was that much wanted low-res 2D, and it was great... Yet nobody cared about it.
I have a feeling this is going to be the usual 3D plastic toy figure fare, probably not that great, but much more successful.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Hah.
Yatagarasu was that much wanted low-res 2D, and it was great... Yet nobody cared about it.
I have a feeling this is going to be the usual 3D plastic toy figure fare, probably not that great, but much more successful.

I mean I don’t think that’s a fair comparison being that it’s nowhere near as established as Capcom or SNK games are or even Arksys.

I mean I never even heard of it until you mentioned it

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It will look like a low-budget PS3 title like the new Samurai Shodown and KOF’s.
I could ALMOST live with that if its a good game.
It really needs to look like XIII, SoR4 or even Skullgirls.
But yeah, it will probably look like microwaved action figures with a clear gloss spray on coating.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The new Sam Sho doesn’t look like new KoF. I don’t think some of you nay sayers have spent any time with it in person. It’s like what SFIV was trying to be…cel shaded-esque, and brush strokes.

It’s not my first choice, but it looks better than most of the modern crop of stop-motion action figure looking garbage.

We won’t get Rumble Fish 2 or even KoF XIII level work. I wouldn’t hate for it to go full RB comic style, and ended up like XRD/Fighter Z or Strive.

The best we can hope for, is that it doesn’t look like KoF XV.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
The new Sam Sho doesn’t look like new KoF. I don’t think some of you nay sayers have spent any time with it in person. It’s like what SFIV was trying to be…cel shaded-esque, and brush strokes.

It’s not my first choice, but it looks better than most of the modern crop of stop-motion action figure looking garbage.

We won’t get Rumble Fish 2 or even KoF XIII level work. I wouldn’t hate for it to go full RB comic style, and ended up like XRD/Fighter Z or Strive.

The best we can hope for, is that it doesn’t look like KoF XV.
See, IMO, Fatal Fury has always kinda had a comic bookish cartoon look to it.
Fast and flashy style play and presentation.
I believe that's the correct direction it needs to go in.
I will also admit that even tho I own it, I haven't played the new SS game yet, mostly because fucking Amazon hasn't shipped my new stick yet!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I wouldn't mind seeing them using something like the newest Sam Sho graphics but more comic book/anime looking if it's going to be a Real Bout style game. If it's MOTW2 though they're really going to have to be careful not to fuck up the very specific atmosphere and presentation the original had.