No Shampoo

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Realized today it's been over a year, so I thought I would make a post. What is " No Shampoo"? It's the concept of using little to no shampoo to build better scalp oil equilibrium and health. Essentially, Stop leeching your body of natural oils, and it will stop overproducing them... I first heard of "No shampoo" in a reddit or YT video. Might have been Johnny Harris. It was still heavy Covid lockdown, so I figured I would check this out. I've always had very oily hair at the end of the day. I washed my medium short Caucasian hair every day or I just felt gross. I came to the realization that soaping my entire body every day, then moisturizing it every day seemed very unnatural. Especially with store bought detergents and lotions. So I stopped....

The first month was not great. I tried just using conditioner, and it would stick together. Then I started using some detergent free shampoo every few days or after a sweaty workout. It only took a month before I could go days without a thick oily scalp. It was about 3 months before I had the confidence to go to my barber without worrying about it.

Now it's been a year. I still use a detergent-free shampoo when needed, but it's much less. My hair is almost never oily. I also stopped using product to keep it in place. The natural texture holds itself in place much better now. I told my friends, and asked them to mention if shit looked weird. No one knew.

Is this all nonsense? Maybe. I feel a lot better about my scalp health, and I'd rather not be in an endless cycle of SDS detergents every day.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sometimes I use shampoo, sometimes just water if my hair doesn't feel like it needs it. I've got a full head of hair right now, but, I frequently shave it all off, so, it typically doesn't get long enough that it needs much in the way of maintenance before I get tired of it and start the process all over again.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If I don't wash my hair, after maybe three days my head starts to itch. I think to myself, this would probably pass, I mean, even a hundred years ago shampoo probably barely existed and everyone was fine then, but then I think I can imagine that everyone smelled like shit back then, so maybe I should just go and wash my hair.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Sometimes I use shampoo, sometimes just water if my hair doesn't feel like it needs it. I've got a full head of hair right now, but, I frequently shave it all off, so, it typically doesn't get long enough that it needs much in the way of maintenance before I get tired of it and start the process all over again.
I felt like M making this post. Im glad you were first to comment.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I don't use Shampoo anymore at all and my hair couldn't be any more better.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Years ago I did this, I think I went a couple years and it does indeed work. My hair was definitely more oily then in contrast to shampooing it but never excessively. Nowadays I just shampoo once a fortnight or so, whenever it's doing my head in. If I shampooed every day I'd be itching like a mad cunt.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I shave my head every other week so I use little to no shampoo. Although I do use beard shampoo on my beard, but only 2 or so times a week. Rest of the days it just gets a good rinsing.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I guess in the end, large or small, black or white, left or right, ultimately we all become obsessed with the same thing; the purity of our precious bodily fluids.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Gross. Shampoo is one of the many modern inventions keeping us out of the dark ages.

Johnny Harris is a self-involved drama queen pandering for clicks.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Gross. Shampoo is one of the many modern inventions keeping us out of the dark ages.

Johnny Harris is a self-involved drama queen pandering for clicks.
I agree. But he does it so well. And his non pandering videos are still good.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I had a head of hair, I'd not only shampoo every other day but I'd rotate them.
Baby Shampoo, higher end shampoo, cheap shampoo etc... And the occasional beer.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
This thread is gross.

When I had a head of hair, I'd not only shampoo every other day but I'd rotate them.
Baby Shampoo, higher end shampoo, cheap shampoo etc... And the occasional beer.

You washed your hair with beer? :spock:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I mean most women I know don’t shampoo their hair daily. No shampoo is fine.

I need a hair cut.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Do most people use shampoo because they can't find real poo? :tickled:

• Haha
Reactions: @M

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I shave my head every other week so I use little to no shampoo. Although I do use beard shampoo on my beard, but only 2 or so times a week. Rest of the days it just gets a good rinsing.
Yeah same here, sometimes my scalp is still wierd and cruddy still.
I used to have extreme dandruff/scalp problems when I was a child.
I let my hair grow out a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile.
Starting to see thinning on my crown and I've always had a windows peak and now that's thinning as well as receeding so the haircut looked weird - like some sort of a monks haircut. EDIT: Nevemind, not a monk haircut. You can barely see any skin on the top of my head. Still looked weird as funk though.

Thinking about getting medicine, internetz says you need to use them for 6 months before you start seeing results though.
Oh well I'm 46, I bet Tonk started going bald in his early 20's.
They used to say the main thing was testosterone, people with excessive levels go bald sooner.
Genetics too, hair and scalp condition is a distant third but proper maintanance may help a bit.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah same here, sometimes my scalp is still wierd and cruddy still.
I used to have extreme dandruff/scalp problems when I was a child.
I let my hair grow out a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile.
Starting to see thinning on my crown and I've always had a windows peak and now that's thinning as well as receeding so the haircut looked weird - like some sort of a monks haircut. EDIT: Nevemind, not a monk haircut. You can barely see any skin on the top of my head. Still looked weird as funk though.

Thinking about getting medicine, internetz says you need to use them for 6 months before you start seeing results though.
Oh well I'm 46, I bet Tonk started going bald in his early 20's.
They used to say the main thing was testosterone, people with excessive levels go bald sooner.
Genetics too, hair and scalp condition is a distant third but proper maintanance may help a bit.

If you already have progressed balding, them medicine is not going to help all that much. Propecia needs to be started at the beginning of balding. Rogaine also needs something there to work with. I started a regime when i noticed my crown thinning out. Managed to save it 100%. I'll give up eventually, but not today....

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There is no link between testosterone levels and baldness.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Soon as I hit my 40's my hair started getting really thin.
Sooner or later none of this will matter to me except for choosing a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off my scalp/ears/neck.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've heard the same thing about stripping the oils making your body overproduce, but at this point I'd rather just feel clean on a daily basis.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
There is no link between testosterone levels and baldness.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is made from testosterone by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase. It can also be made from DHEA, a hormone more common in women. DHT is found in skin, hair follicles, and the prostate. The actions of DHT and the sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT is what causes hair loss.Jan 10, 2019

I dunno sounds like a link to me.