New Fatal Fury

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Maybe that should be SNK's new slogan to replace the Future Is Now?

SNK: More Than Adequate

You know what bandwagon I don't find productive? The apologists and the people who have just given up on the idea of SNK ever reclaiming their spot as one of the top developers who make games both play and look great. "This is good enough" is a defeatist mentality.
That isn't realistic. SNK as we know it died in 2001. I'm just glad a version of them is still around. I don't know what year you're living in, but it isn't 2022. For what it's worth, I wish I could join you back there.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Neo was 100% state of the art when it came out in 1990 and smoked all home consoles, PCs, and most of the arcades at the time. Arcades caught up to it quickly, then PCs in the mid/late 90s, and it wasn't until the Dreamcast that home consoles would have totally authentic ports to the hardware.

I totally disagree that they look like fan-made garbage and are uninspired.

This^

Remember that time, when Pentium 1 processors couldn’t run Sonic the Hedgehog without crashing?

Neo was absolute bleeding edge early 90s tech.

Most of us, and Pepperidge Farms remembers.

How does Zeta not remember?!?

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This^

Remember that time, when Pentium 1 processors couldn’t run Sonic the Hedgehog without crashing?

It seems like, based on his posting, he's had numerous head injuries over the years.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
This^

While I love the Neo, in the big picture it’s just another 16-bit JAMMA board like Taito and Capcom made.

Last edited:

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
To those who are excited about this Garou 2: what are you expecting from it?
I mean, among the things that made you enjoy the original Garou, what do you think this sequel might retain?

It's an honest question - is it just nostalgia finally satisfied (if only a bit), or do you think this particular game might have some actual qualities that coul make it stand out of the fighters crowd (or at least make it different enough from KoF XV & SamSho)?

Grandmaster-C

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
20 Year Member
More than likely Billy is there as a way to tease old characters and what they've been up to with the passage of time (14 years since Geese died if I remember right? MOTW took place in 2009?).
MOTW took place 2006, 10 years after RBFF.
I would love to see a real Fatal Fury Sequel with some added MOTW characters.

Of course in 2D, but I think that's not very likely.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I'm not so sure. Dev-Team was able to sell games with just a few hundert copies for 400 bucks or less.
All their games are now between 1000 and 2000 bucks at least. There seem to be people willing to pay these prices...
Compared to todays regular videogame margin (a 60$ game is sold from the publisher for about 20$) of about 30% a new AES Fatal Fury could be easily sold by SNK for 1500$. Their margin would be higher than a PS5 game! Therefore SNK could sell only about 3000 units instead of todays 300'000 or more.
I don't know... it's just daring and interesting speculation.
it is about as daring and interesting as your brash street smarts

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
While I love the Neo, in the big picture it’s just another 16-bit JAMMA board like Taito and Capcom made.
was it state-of-the-art at the time though? yes. doesn't matter if there were similar technologies, that's not what the term means. first psx now this, maybe you shouldn't have gone to community college, after all.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
MOTW took place 2006, 10 years after RBFF.
I would love to see a real Fatal Fury Sequel with some added MOTW characters.

Of course in 2D, but I think that's not very likely.
More than likely we're getting a MOTW sequel with Fatal Fury characters.

Thing is, MOTW is a Fatal Fury game. Just further in the future with a different roster outside of Terry. Same way Art of Fighting 3 is a true AOF game even though it's radically different in terms of gameplay, roster, and visuals, just minus the time jump.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
More than likely we're getting a MOTW sequel with Fatal Fury characters.

Thing is, MOTW is a Fatal Fury game. Just further in the future with a different roster outside of Terry. Same way Art of Fighting 3 is a true AOF game even though it's radically different in terms of gameplay, roster, and visuals, just minus the time jump.
AoF3 has much more in common with AoF1 gameplay-wise than MotW does with any Fatal Fury game. MotW is not a Fatal Fury game in any way other than featuring Terry and a couple loosely related characters.

That isn't realistic. SNK as we know it died in 2001. I'm just glad a version of them is still around. I don't know what year you're living in, but it isn't 2022. For what it's worth, I wish I could join you back there.
You know who else died? Classic Capcom during the era we got low-effort, uninspired paste-together garbage by no talent interns like Capcom Fighting Jam. If Capcom can come back, so can SNK. You're making excuses so that you never have to get your hopes up, but you're more disconnected from reality than me.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You know who else died? Classic Capcom during the era we got low-effort, uninspired paste-together garbage by no talent interns like Capcom Fighting Jam. If Capcom can come back, so can SNK. You're making excuses so that you never have to get your hopes up, but you're more disconnected from reality than me.
Who's saying Capcom's modern games are better than SNK's? SNK was never as popular as Capcom and they never will be. People who don't play video games know who Chun Li is. SNK will never compete with that. (From a Western perspective at least.)

Capcom's fighters can survive on name recognition alone. It doesn't hurt that the games are good too.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
To be fair Capcom has kept up despite poor releases. SF4 was a big deal, during that whole time SNK floundered. I want to believe SNK can make a comeback but the market for fighters is tight nowadays, they really have to pull off something special. Real special.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
If we're trying to look at this objectively, KOF XV received "generally favorable" reviews from critics at least, according to the Wikipedia page. When's the last time you played KOF?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Who's saying Capcom's modern games are better than SNK's?
They have been. I don't think it's even arguable. And Street Fighter 6 looks miles ahead of anything SNK has done for years. Easily better than anything SNK has ever attempted in 3D.

SNK was never as popular as Capcom and they never will be.
Yeah, they were. Just not where you live. You are, as you say, looking only from a "western" perspective (leaving out Latin America, obviously). In Japan, SNK were equals to Capcom for several years, and for a few years from maybe 1993 to 1995, they were pretty definitively beating Capcom in popularity in Japan.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
As I pointed out, the reviews for KOF XV were good, even though mainstream reviewers have historically not treated SNK or fighting games so well. And you didn't answer whether you've played it. So what's your opinion based on then? Just a general gut feeling? The graphics are ugly?

Really? U think capcom r doing great fighting games? I enjoyed sf4 and tatsunoko vs capcom was great!

But come on mvc3 was the poorest in the franchise until mvc4 came out. Sfxt was weak and sfv was an incomplete game when it was launched and quite frankly was a real step down from iv, from gameplay to presentation.

And this is excluding all their bullshit of milking more money out of people with micro transactions. Hey I know everyone does it but no company making fighting games has done it as bad as capcom.

Also those new character designs and their personalities. Juri (well design wise only sf4) and hakan were the only good ones since they started making fighting games again and the rest sucked.

Capcom may be more popular and making more money but (snk heroines aside) the recent 2.5d snk games have been better quality in everything but graphics.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
it's just going to be some "Simple 2000" looking shit again, don't get your hopes up.
SNK has been creatively bankrupt since 2004.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Really? U think capcom r doing great fighting games? I enjoyed sf4 and tatsunoko vs capcom was great!

But come on mvc3 was the poorest in the franchise until mvc4 came out. Sfxt was weak and sfv was an incomplete game when it was launched and quite frankly was a real step down from iv, from gameplay to presentation.

And this is excluding all their bullshit of milking more money out of people with micro transactions. Hey I know everyone does it but no company making fighting games has done it as bad as capcom.

Also those new character designs and their personalities. Juri (well design wise only sf4) and hakan were the only good ones since they started making fighting games again and the rest sucked.

Capcom may be more popular and making more money but (snk heroines aside) the recent 2.5d snk games have been better quality in everything but graphics.
Capcom shat out MvC3, but SNK committed the sin of SNK Heroines.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Other than Juri the only new character design capcom has come up with that I like is C. Viper.
And I think that's only because both of them could pass as SNK characters.
IMO SF as a whole has become less & less attractive since SF3, and I really didn't like 3 very much either.
BTW, is heroines worth picking up? It doesn't look great yet my curiosity is nudging me.

Other than Juri the only new character design capcom has come up with that I like is C. Viper.
And I think that's only because both of them could pass as SNK characters.
IMO SF as a whole has become less & less attractive since SF3, and I really didn't like 3 very much either.
BTW, is heroines worth picking up? It doesn't look great yet my curiosity is nudging me.
No.