WTB - Analogue Pocket

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
without paying stupid eBay prices or waiting till mid 2023

I keep getting asked CONSTANTLY about Pocket content for YT...so I want to do it. Except you cant just run out and get that shit

Anyone have a pocket they fell out of love with? LMK

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
What would you pay for a pocket and dock? eBay prices are ridiculous (I see a sold listing for a DOCK for $300), but I don't think you'll be able to get them for the list price

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Had mine listed here for like 2 weeks at 300 shipped with no takers or interest until someone messaged me to buy it.

I really didn’t care for it. Felt too fragile for a portable and the D pad was too loose for my liking. Good luck 👍

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Agree with @roker - MUCH too fragile. Not sure if you caught my post a while back about dropping it less than 3 feet and it completely shattered the screen. I gave it to Jon thinking it still worked on the Dock as it did when I had it. Apparently the drop bricked it completely eventually. I tried to get Analogue to fix it, but after over two months of them saying, "we'll get back with you" I said fuck it. Jon gave it to another member who was able to get Analogue to fix the damn thing (I even had to provide my order number!) Long story short - it's not actually built for portable use, so beware.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Agree with @roker - MUCH too fragile. Not sure if you caught my post a while back about dropping it less than 3 feet and it completely shattered the screen. I gave it to Jon thinking it still worked on the Dock as it did when I had it. Apparently the drop bricked it completely eventually. I tried to get Analogue to fix it, but after over two months of them saying, "we'll get back with you" I said fuck it. Jon gave it to another member who was able to get Analogue to fix the damn thing (I even had to provide my order number!) Long story short - it's not actually built for portable use, so beware.
Yeah I’ve heard as such. I’m not like dying to get a pocket, but content wise I’m trying to give people what they want

I just am NOT dumping money into eBay markets. 1) because fuck scalping and 2….FUCK SCALPING

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I did see that thread. Lame they left you hanging.

I just think it would make good content as people keep asking me about it. Give the masses what they want. But not for a penny over retail

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, minor drop on the floor basically destroyed @yagamikun ('s) system. If you ever get one, treat it like a brittle dinosaur fossil.

I have one coming in "eventually", ie. whenever q4 2022 is.

Jon

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Yeah, minor drop on the floor basically destroyed @yagamikun ('s) system. If you ever get one, treat it like a brittle dinosaur fossil.

I have one coming in "eventually", ie. whenever q4 2022 is.

Jon
Honestly if I pick one up it’ll be for content and camera work. I’ve taken my Switch out of the house approximately twice haha

I did drop my MisTer off the table once. Survived fine. So I guess it def beats Analogue in that respect!

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Honestly if I pick one up it’ll be for content and camera work. I’ve taken my Switch out of the house approximately twice haha

I did drop my MisTer off the table once. Survived fine. So I guess it def beats Analogue in that respect!
After seeing what can happen to the system in person, and how catastrophic that can be, I honestly wonder why Analogue didn't consider a plastic screen. What is the benefit of a glass screen anyway? More reflectivity, maybe better picture? Or, is it to give screen repair companies more business? How many times have you seen people with a cracked cell phone just live with it?

Just thinking out loud here but, sometimes cooler tech doesn't mean better functionality or, durability.

Jon

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
After seeing what can happen to the system in person, and how catastrophic that can be, I honestly wonder why Analogue didn't consider a plastic screen. What is the benefit of a glass screen anyway? More reflectivity, maybe better picture? Or, is it to give screen repair companies more business? How many times have you seen people with a cracked cell phone just live with it?

Just thinking out loud here but, sometimes cooler tech doesn't mean better functionality or, durability.

Jon
Glass just looks better new out of the box. Probably helps color rendition on the screen too.

But you’d think it would be some high test gorilla glass that could take a few bumps

I contacted analogue directly and asked for a review unit. Do I have enough juice at this point to do that? I dunno. We will find out (although I’d rather just pay for one tbh)

Reactions: wyo

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
I assume you are wanting for all the "new" shiny FPGA cores getting released for it? I cancelled my preorder, should've sold my place in line lol

Outside the fomo and "shiny new thing" of it, WAY better solutions out there.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I assume you are wanting for all the "new" shiny FPGA cores getting released for it? I cancelled my preorder, should've sold my place in line lol

What are the better solutions for portable FPGA gaming?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
What are the better solutions for portable FPGA gaming?

Hahah this is where the splitting of hairs begins. In 90% of scenarios (speaking for myself obviously), I see zero difference between FPGA and software emulation with a couple frames run-ahead. Zero lag, and when we are talking 8-bit up to Neo you can get a powerful enough handheld to do that. Beyond that, I prefer original hardware. Trust me, I get the appeal and novelty of it. I just think some of the "OMG FPGA or bust!" is just unnecessary. That said, I have a Mister and prefer it over a Raspberry Pi, but I will also admit if you let me play a Pi4 w/run-ahead and told me it was a Mister, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Better answer: Original hardware is the best option. When it comes to whether or not you can obtain it, an SP 101, IPS screen modded GBA, a standard SP...all are preferable over the Analogue Pocket.

Not even close.

I have an Analogue Pocket coming...whenever and I still believe that. But, hey, you wait a year+ and or, pay $500-600 on eBay and have your FPGA experience.

Jon

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Better answer: Original hardware is the best option. When it comes to whether or not you can obtain it, an SP 101, IPS screen modded GBA, a standard SP...all are preferable over the Analogue Pocket.

Not even close.

I have an Analogue Pocket coming...whenever and I still believe that. But, hey, you wait a year+ and or, pay $500-600 on eBay and have your FPGA experience.

Jon
Yeah but the new hysteria over the pocket is the new cores. But spot on about the GB hardware. Same goes for GG.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

I am wanting it because when I can I try to make the content people want to see

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah but the new hysteria over the pocket is the new cores. But spot on about the GB hardware. Same goes for GG.
GG looks awesome. But guess what, a GG adapter goes for maybe 200.
Also something nobody has told is that if a cart’s label is a little be off the plastic cart, then the adapter rips it. It is not gentle with GG carts.

Another thing never told is that Pocket can hold the battery level for ages when stored, just like the GBA SP. Unlike Switch battery is drained after 2 days of inactivity

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Not even close.

Jon
I haven’t seen an IPS screen mod in person, but the pocket does look *damn* nice if you can avoid cracking it, esp for GB and GBC games. I can’t really go back to stock screens. The SP 101s in particular have really bad color bleed or something (not sure what it’s called) that makes action games look pretty smudgy

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
PSPGo loaded w/rawms>APocket.

Price, portability, durability. Stomps it on all counts.