Anyone use a home warranty service (one that covers appliances)?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hello friends. Instead of gettiing some extended warranties when buying some appliances, I've been thinking of getting an overall home one instead. Specifically looking at American Home Shield. Anyone have any experience with them, or similar companies?

FYI - I think all warranties suck. But for some reason I feel I should have something...

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I have AHS and have used it a few times over the years.

It is about $50 a month, so about $600 a year for the service.

When you call for service, they will charge you a $75 service fee.

I've had my service for around 5 years, so I paid them about 3k, plus the service fees everytime they come out.

I've gotten a check for $684 for a washer that could not be repaired and $586 for a dryer that could not be repaired. I also got around $1100 for a water heater replacement and installation. I did have to pay $225 for these services.

Additionally, I've had them unclog my bathroom shower drain, kitchen drain, and main line over the years. Again they charge $75 per visit.

Over the last 5 years they are still up money wise, but eventually when my AC, cooktop, or oven goes out I will be in the money.

My sister has Viking appliances and was recently paid $6800 for a refrigerator they could not repair. She has been paid out for a washer, dryer, water heater, and dishwasher. Not sure what they paid out for those.

I believe if you have higher end appliances AHS is worth it. My washer and dryer were given to me. They were probably the cheapest Kenmore washer and dryer at the time and probably 20-25 years old, so I was ok getting around $1300 to replace them.

Oh, and they try to do everything they can to repair the appliance before paying you out.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Boomer thread alert! :D Unless you are unlucky or own shit tier appliances you're probably better off putting whatever the premium is for these protection rackets in the bank. @BIG BEAR plz confirm

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
AHS is a scam.

They only ever fixed my water heater and they made me wait over the weekend and $100 deductible. Could have paid a local place at that point.

My furnace blew up mid winter when their phones were broken. Never mind I previously paid out of pocket to replace the monoxide exhaust fan on that furnace that was on its last leg, because "loud but not broken yet" is explicitly not covered, and I like not dying.

I could not get ahold of them and essentially replaced my furnace out of pocket. They averted all liability because I couldn't get ahold of them to pre Auth the repair and no pre-auth repairs are allowed.

Aside from your furnace and AC most appliances in your house cost less than a year of AHS by themselves. It ain't worth it, they just prey on the poor and new home owners.

Their contract explicitly waives the right to class action. It also does not define "emergency" beyond their discretion. They have no real responsibility to stop you from freezing in your own home, and they have no problem reminding you of that when you actually need the repair.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Insurance is always a sucker's bet. Learn how to fix your own shit or, better yet, learn how to save money for when urgent expenses arise rather than throwing money down a hole that you'll never get back.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you really do want/need warranties on stuff, a good warranty from the manufacturer or authorized dealer will beat a 3rd party as-seen-on-TV warranty any time.

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
A couple of these home warranty companies call my dad to inspect garage door openers on warranty claims. The warranty companies are extremely good at only covering the shit that almost never breaks. So my dad goes out there and simply says what's wrong with the opener, and then about 95% of the time the warranty company says it's not covered. The shit that breaks on an opener is the shit you'd expect would break: the motor itself, the gear, the chain/belt. The parts that move. None of that shit is ever covered. The other 5% of the time it's the motherboard and that's actually covered.

Presumably it's the same for other appliances too, and the people you hear of here that have had it pay off are part of that other 5%.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I didn't know you could spend $6800 on a refrigerator

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nah, I never buy warranty services. If something goes tits up after the manufacturer's warranty runs out, then I just buy a new one.

It used to crack me up when GameStop offered me a warranty on dirt cheap secondhand carts and discs.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I politely decline (although I'd rather tell them to fuck off) every time a salesperson attempts to get me to sign up for an extended warranty. The manufacturers warranty and our consumer laws cover everything the 'extended warranty' claims to cover. I mean I get it, you pay the extended warranty and you get a replacement on the spot, don't have to wait blah blah but if you're purchasing quality goods I find you rarely if ever need repairs. Not within 5 years anyway.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Someone gonna do a Warren G parody for this thread or nah?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
They wouldn’t sell these things if they don’t ultimately make more money for them than you…period. Wake the fuck up. Put that money in the bank and when the fridge breaks pay cash.

Home AC usually lasts several decades without repair. Add it up.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Look up Viking brand appliances. Prices are crazy expensive. Worst part is they change circuit board designs and shapes of parts, so eventually you can't buy replacement parts and are forced to buy new.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
how can you guys be so horrible and wonderful at the same time? it make no sense

fuck you all and thank you all

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
AHS is a scam.

They only ever fixed my water heater and they made me wait over the weekend and $100 deductible. Could have paid a local place at that point.

My furnace blew up mid winter when their phones were broken. Never mind I previously paid out of pocket to replace the monoxide exhaust fan on that furnace that was on its last leg, because "loud but not broken yet" is explicitly not covered, and I like not dying.

I could not get ahold of them and essentially replaced my furnace out of pocket. They averted all liability because I couldn't get ahold of them to pre Auth the repair and no pre-auth repairs are allowed.

Aside from your furnace and AC most appliances in your house cost less than a year of AHS by themselves. It ain't worth it, they just prey on the poor and new home owners.

Their contract explicitly waives the right to class action. It also does not define "emergency" beyond their discretion. They have no real responsibility to stop you from freezing in your own home, and they have no problem reminding you of that when you actually need the repair.

I have never had an issue contacting them and have a technician at my house the same day or the day after.

I agree most appliances in people homes are not high end and most of the time not worth repairing.

When I was in college I sold Maytag appliances. We would get $10 for each appliance we sold from their extended warranty company. $25 for two appliances (washer & dryer), etc. Anyways the warranty vendor explained to us that 95% or more of the time the extended warranty would not be used because if the appliance had an issue it would most likely be from the assembly and discovered early on. The manufacturer's warranty covers the appliance for the first year and they would take care of any issues. Once they fixed those issues as long as appliance was used correctly, the appliance should last.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In general I don't do warranties. That said, we got an appliance repair/replace plan through our gas company because the house we bought came with a bunch of old appliances. So far we"ve had a few free repairs, and they've paid out on a broken fridge and dishwasher. They pay about half what it cost to replace them. We probably have done better than break even on it so far, but we're probably an exception. I plan to cancel the plan if our 23-year-old furnace ever goes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Got a co worker who purchased a fridge with some premium protection plan plus some extra wear and tear bs. The freezer stopped working after 8 months. Its been over a year he's been trying to get it fixed. He's had 5 technicians at his house already who have made some excuse why they can't fix it because it requires some special part that is on back order. Yet, he could go online and purchase the part himself and install it but he told me it defeats the purpose of having the extra coverage he paid for.

No thanks

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've met several Americans who've spent enormous sums on kitchen appliances*, apparently there is a brand called Sub Zero that charges enormous prices for their wares.

*Seems to be some kind of status anxiousness thing