Samurai Shodown Sen; reviewers did this one dirty

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I mean it's a vibe for sure, and not a standard SNK one. Clearly they were tying to make it as film like and cinematic as possible...and in some spots I def think they succeeded. Other parts...not as much

but the entire "bad review score because bad story" is like reviewing a restaurant as "great food, bad decor"
Okay, I hear ya on the story part. lol - It's a fighting game, no real point complaining about the "story." :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Steep slope sliders video:

Cave made a non shmup game?!!

Yes just like uopoko it feels like you reviewed an hour ago because there's 78 episodes of this drivel a day etc

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Original discussion threads from when Sen came out:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sorry, but this game represented one of the low points of the SNKP era. They farmed this one out to K2, and it doesn't feel like SNK. The mood and ambiance really didn't feel like a Samurai Shodown game. I bought this when it was released in Japan, and don't remember ever really enjoying it. The recent Samurai Shodown game on modern consoles really shows the right way to do a modern SS in most ways. We are spoiled now with KOF 14, 15 and SS compared to how bad things got in the SNKP era.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It feels and looks like one of those jank-ass Unreal engine indie games that you see on Steam for $2.99.

It also feels like it's desperately trying to pander to a western audience and failing hard. From that era when all the big Japanese dev were totally clueless about how to handle their own properties and farmed them out to western devs. Bionic Commando, DMC etc. mediocre at best and downright insulting to the fans at it's worst.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Really jank in the worst ways, and super washed out color palette crap, as was the style at the time.

The mid-late 00s were when game developers were absolutely frightened of color. Everything had to look washed out and dirty like Gears of War and Resident Evil 4.

Character roster was cool at least.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Leave bacon alone or I will send you a hypersonic missile.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
that's why I love it here...only forum where 13 years is considered "newish"
The system is famous for lasting over a decade, but still it’s been dead more or less for two decades. Anyone who’s account is younger than the youngest Neo game is…pretty much a late comer. I think that’s totally fair.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
The system is famous for lasting over a decade, but still it’s been dead more or less for two decades. Anyone who’s account is younger than the youngest Neo game is…pretty much a late comer. I think that’s totally fair.

stfu n00b

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Isn’t the real achievement around here getting drummed off the boards in some blaze of controversy?

You have to be a mod or a bootlegger or some other such ruffian first, THEN the ban. That’s victory.

You have to get up to get down.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
The gfx look like diarrhea shat onto a ant hill, in a mud-bog.

Suspension of disbelief ruined.

I tried this in arcade upon release, bought the Xbox rev trying to be supportive/hoping for a gfx remix.

0/10.
Yup. I remember trying this in the arcade and only spent one credit... Never again.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You have to be a mod or a bootlegger or some other such ruffian first, THEN the ban. That’s victory.

You have to get up to get down.
Hmm…I found a new prototype. Neo Turf Masters 2: Golflectric Boogaloo. 50K. No photos. Anyone wanna buy?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
But legendary esoteric game curator awbacon said it was good in a video!?

This dude has probably the worst taste in arcade hardware I've ever seen. It's all wanky collector or m2 stuff instead of actual good games.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
But legendary esoteric game curator awbacon said it was good in a video!?

This dude has probably the worst taste in arcade hardware I've ever seen. It's all wanky collector or m2 stuff instead of actual good games.
lol maybe I just show the shit you don't like. I mean I've shown PGM and CPS stuff too...is that terrible taste?