What anime are you watching?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Still slowly working through Transformers Victory. Finally got to Liokaiser's combiner revelation, and he whupped Star Saber so bad, God Ginrai had to make a rare appearance to save his ass. A Destron (Hellbat) killing another (Deathcobra), even though it was accidental, was an unexpected twist, and I was surprised that he even showed remorse, when he's usually such a self-serving manipulative asshole (and Deathcobra was also going to be Hellbat's replacement in the Breast Force, so, you'd think he'd revel in his demise). I almost believed Star Saber heroically died, flying a failing plasma reactor up into the sky before it detonated, at the end of one of the episodes, too.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Still slowly working through Transformers Victory. Finally got to Liokaiser's combiner revelation, and he whupped Star Saber so bad, God Ginrai had to make a rare appearance to save his ass. A Destron (Hellbat) killing another (Deathcobra), even though it was accidental, was an unexpected twist, and I was surprised that he even showed remorse, when he's usually such a self-serving manipulative asshole (and Deathcobra was also going to be Hellbat's replacement in the Breast Force, so, you'd think he'd revel in his demise). I almost believed Star Saber heroically died, flying a failing plasma reactor up into the sky before it detonated, at the end of one of the episodes, too.
Star Saber is to op to die :rolleyes:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Leozack is a surprisingly interesting dude in the show. Then you go to buy the toy and it’s like…a cheap little POS. They really did a good job with the show though. :)

@M

20 Year Member
Star Saber is to op to die :rolleyes:
I know, but, they had me thinking maybe for a bit.
Leozack is a surprisingly interesting dude in the show. Then you go to buy the toy and it’s like…a cheap little POS. They really did a good job with the show though. :)
I'm a Decepticon sympathizer to begin with, so, I'm biased, but, the bad guys are definitely way more interesting/entertaining in Victory than the Autobots.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I know, but, they had me thinking maybe for a bit.

I'm a Decepticon sympathizer to begin with, so, I'm biased, but, the bad guys are definitely way more interesting/entertaining in Victory than the Autobots.

I’m Autobot all the way, but I have to agree. The Autobots suck in this show.

@M

20 Year Member
Almost done with Victory (on episode 31 and there's 37 total I think).

Liokaiser's ability to become completely invisible is god tier shit for a combiner and I enjoyed watching him taking full advantage of that and beating the living shit out of Star Saber and the other Autobots.

Optimus Prime (God Ginrai) died for the umpteenth time and was reborn as Victory Leo, who can combine with Star Saber to make Victory Saber, so, the Decepticons are fooked.

I was also surprised when the Decepticons suddenly became competent villains, took a very dark turn, and began nuking populated human cities and threatened to continue doing so if the Autobots ever interfered with their energy thefts again (and the missiles were autoprogrammed to fire if the Autobots tried to destroy the orbital launch base they came from). The Decepticons were, of course, total dicks about it, carrying Energon cubes right past the helpless Autobots and even asking them if they wanted to assist loading them! 🤣

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Looks like the fall anime season (starting next month) is going to be a banger.

Chainsaw Man
Spy Family Pt. 2
Mob Psycho 100 Season 3
My Hero Academia season 6 for the shonen trash crowd
Final Bleach season
New season of Kantai Collection/Kancolle
Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai Season 2 for the coomers
A new Urusei Yatsura show?
Another alternate universe Gundam show.

@M

20 Year Member
Finally finished Transformers Victory.

The Autobots won, of course, destroying the Decepticon's Death Star-like super fortress before it could annihilate the earth and Star Saber killed all 7 of the Decepticons left, including Deathsaurus, in combat.

I was especially disappointed with Liokaiser's death, almost as lame as Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc Pit. He got knocked into the Decepticon fortress' charging Death Star ray by Star Saber, which completely drained all of his energy, he went grayscale, and drifted off into space whining that his body wasn't responding anymore and he was losing consciousness. He should have went down in a blaze of glory, not like that. Liokaiser never used his invisibility power in every fight after Star Saber became Victory Saber either, which is just stupid, as that gave him an incredible advantage in fights.

At least the Decepticon Dino Force had a happy ending. After Deathsaurus abandoned and betrayed them, leaving them behind on earth (they ARE complete fuck-ups afterall), their leader, Gouryu, defected and gave the Autobots the secret to stopping the fortress. At the end, they became good guys, reconstructing earth and playing with kids at amusement parks.

It took a while to engage my interest, but, overall, I enjoyed the Victory series. I hated that they had recap clip shows like every 6-7 episodes, which was overkill and unnecessary. The Star Saber/Victory Leo/combiner transformation sequences are also overused way too much. I wish that it had more guest appearances by older Transformers as well [just God Ginrai (Optimus Prime), Wheeljack & Perceptor]. Again, the Decepticons in Victory were MUCH more interesting and entertaining than the Autobots. Deathbat, Leozack & Gouryu were my favorites.

I may watch The Headmasters or Super-God Masterforce series next, neither of which I've ever seen before.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The Dino force toys were some of the dumbest shit ever. At this point Takara was trying every single possible variation on the gestalt teams and had just landed on "Robots that turn into dinos who also have Pretender dino shells and also are a gestalt and also are super cheap".

In the anime though I have to say they provide a much needed change of pace once in a while and it wouldn't have worked as well if this wasn't a Japan only production.

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, their toys (Monstructor here in the USA) aren't that great, but, they, especially Gouryu and the Triceratops, are comedy gold on the show.

Their description, at TFWiki, cracks me up:
Screenshot_20220910-134348~2.png

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I was watching Bastard till about the third or so episode? The part with sucking out poison was just too silly and drawn out. I turned it off after that point.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Finally finished Transformers Victory.

The Autobots won, of course, destroying the Decepticon's Death Star-like super fortress before it could annihilate the earth and Star Saber killed all 7 of the Decepticons left, including Deathsaurus, in combat.

I was especially disappointed with Liokaiser's death, almost as lame as Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc Pit. He got knocked into the Decepticon fortress' charging Death Star ray by Star Saber, which completely drained all of his energy, he went grayscale, and drifted off into space whining that his body wasn't responding anymore and he was losing consciousness. He should have went down in a blaze of glory, not like that. Liokaiser never used his invisibility power in every fight after Star Saber became Victory Saber either, which is just stupid, as that gave him an incredible advantage in fights.

At least the Decepticon Dino Force had a happy ending. After Deathsaurus abandoned and betrayed them, leaving them behind on earth (they ARE complete fuck-ups afterall), their leader, Gouryu, defected and gave the Autobots the secret to stopping the fortress. At the end, they became good guys, reconstructing earth and playing with kids at amusement parks.

It took a while to engage my interest, but, overall, I enjoyed the Victory series. I hated that they had recap clip shows like every 6-7 episodes, which was overkill and unnecessary. The Star Saber/Victory Leo/combiner transformation sequences are also overused way too much. I wish that it had more guest appearances by older Transformers as well [just God Ginrai (Optimus Prime), Wheeljack & Perceptor]. Again, the Decepticons in Victory were MUCH more interesting and entertaining than the Autobots. Deathbat, Leozack & Gouryu were my favorites.

I may watch The Headmasters or Super-God Masterforce series next, neither of which I've ever seen before.

I really wanted to like Headmasters, but halfway through and I just couldn't anymore. Maybe you'll like it more than me.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I love Masterforce. Headmasters…yep, I wanted to like it…but it’s not very compelling.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I really wanted to like Headmasters, but halfway through and I just couldn't anymore. Maybe you'll like it more than me.
There are times for the headmasters i wanted to see wheelie die given he's such a annoying character.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I watched Genocyber and about to finish Armitage III. Eh I like sci fi and these were alright, liked Oedo 808 better.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nah Genocyber makes me feel ill. Cyber City Oedo 808's first episode forever bro.

@M

20 Year Member
Transformers: Zone
This was going to be the next ongoing Japanese TV series, after Victory, but, it got cancelled, due to poor toy sales, so, this pilot episode is all we get. 😢

Star Saber gets badly injured, in the opening scene, when the planet Feminia (sadly, not populated by nothing but naked lesbians) gets blown up with him on it. So, the focus shifts to the lame Micro Masters and new Powered Master guys, Dai Atlas & Sonic Bomber.

Like Victory, the Destrons are more interesting. The new insectoid emperor, Violen Jiger, has multiple faces on his head like a Quintesson, and he's not fooking around with nothing but the best Decepticon combiners and other heavy hitters like Trypticon and Overlord as his standard troops.

Not that it does him much good.

The fuck? A bunch of the Decepticon combiners and Trypticon working together should be unstoppable, yet, they still get their asses handed to them and even killed. Poor Predaking even gets bisected, cut in half (and, bizarrely, there's an organic brain shown to be inside his head)! I cried. Megatron cried. That ain't right, amigos! I felt less raped by all the deaths at the beginning of Transformers the Movie. 😭😭😭

At the end, Star Saber hands the Autobot leadership over to Dai Atlas, murderer of innocent Decepticon gestalts.

I'm going to pretend none of this ever happened! 😡😡😡

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cyberpunk Edgerunners is fucking awesome. It's like all the hyper violent and sexual 80s and 90s stuff distilled and updated with an actual decent plot. This is the dopest thing I've seen since Redline. It doesn't feel cheap or hollow either like a lot of new anime, it's not just a lazy cash grab. You can tell they really put in a lot of work into it and were really influenced by all the stuff like Megazone 23, Cybercity Oedo, GITS etc. I don't know anything about the game and this really doesn't seem to concern itself with that so you can just go in blind. Highly recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finished Edgerunners. Again, it is fucking awesome all the way through. It's really refreshing to see a modern anime that knows exactly who it's audience is and it does not give a shit if that's not you. It looks fantastic (aside from a couple of more ambitious shots where they used some jank 3D) and is very stylish without coming off as unnecessary or ostentatious. It also becomes slowly more stylish the further it goes to match what's happening story and character wise. The soundtrack is also great, I don't know if Akira Yamaoka just did the actual score or if he also selected the rest of the tracks but it fits perfectly.

I was also really surprised by how original it still managed to be given just how many things it is comprised of. There's everything from Aeon Flux and The Fast and Furious to Project A-ko and Ninja Scroll and it manages to pull it off completely, it never feels like they are doing it just to make a reference. It also manages to avoid almost every single horrible anime trope of the last 20 years. It's honestly a miracle that it turned out so good considering that it's Netflix and based on a video game. Studio Trigger really knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I watched Genocyber and about to finish Armitage III. Eh I like sci fi and these were alright, liked Oedo 808 better.
Genocyber is a nice wholesome anime. One of my favorites.

I've been sporadically watching Dragon Ball Super recently. It's alright but I feel it's lacking something.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Genocyber is a nice wholesome anime. One of my favorites.

I've been sporadically watching Dragon Ball Super recently. It's alright but I feel it's lacking something.
I've been hesitant to start DBS for fear of that.

Just started Planetes, man this is alright if you like space shit.

@M

20 Year Member
Tried out the first episode of Headmasters. While I liked seeing all of those classic characters, it was also kind of madness with so many dozens of them used at once together. Kind of confusing with bots jumping from Cybertron to Earth to Athenia and back again too. I imagine that things will settle down and focus on fewer characters, mostly the titular Headmasters, in future episodes? Even Wheelie was actually kind of amusing, pounding on a downed Tantrum's head after the Trainbots took him out, saving Daniel. I know where Victory's Deathbat got his hypnosis ability from now too: Mindwipe, who does the same shit, right down to the hand gestures and chanting. I loved when Galvatron stomped the shit out of Skullcruncher when he fell asleep from its' effects too.