News from SPAAAAACE!

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My brother is working on it so I'll keep an eye on it. I doubt it will launch tomorrow, but we shall see.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My brother is working on it so I'll keep an eye on it. I doubt it will launch tomorrow, but we shall see.
Oh, really? That's interesting, what does he do?

lithy

20 Year Member
Oh, really? That's interesting, what does he do?

Engineering for some part of the main stage rocket engines. He was scheduled to be on for launch support during fuel loading overnight which I see was late being completed. Then he was supposed to be relieved early this morning to possibly get some sleep. Haven't heard from him yet to know how he thinks things are going. I see several issues on the timeline through the night and they are in an extended hold on the countdown at the moment.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah the livestream keeps getting pushed back. At the moment on the YouTube stream there are over 300k ppl just waiting for it to start. You can also watch directly on NASA’s site.

lithy

20 Year Member
They have two more launch windows on Sept 2 and Sept 5, and if they don't try it on those days the next chance wouldn't be until the end of September.

Basically, no big deal to scrub today, there was some question if they would even load fuel because of the weather forecast, but I think they need to launch at some point this week. The program hasn't really had anything go to plan or to schedule at this point.

Tough to know without being closer to it, but sometimes it feels like a crippling abundance of caution when 50 years ago they would have said just launch the damned thing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don’t need another Apollo 1 (yeah I know it’s unmanned.)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Tough to know without being closer to it, but sometimes it feels like a crippling abundance of caution when 50 years ago they would have said just launch the damned thing.
All this talk of condensation or something about the foam insulation, meanwhile they could've launched an hour ago.

lithy

20 Year Member
Scheduled for an attempt Saturday September 3rd now due to poor weather forecast Friday. The 2 hour launch window opens at 2:17pm EST.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I wonder if weather will be an issue once we have the elevator built.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I hate to say anything bad about NASA but that is a ridiculous conclusion.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I hate to say anything bad about NASA but that is a ridiculous conclusion.
Why? MOXIE has been reliably shown to do the job it was tasked with. Scaled up versions could very well do as they dream it will.

lithy

20 Year Member
Once again having trouble just filling the thing with fuel. Several starts and stops, currently in a hold again due to connection leaks.

Shoulda done the launch in New Jersey.

lithy

20 Year Member
Multiple troubleshooting fix attempts, still leaking.

I don't see it happening. And with the push to Saturday, my understanding is that Monday isn't an option and the next chance isn't until late September and unclear if it would be rolled back to the hangar in the meantime.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Multiple troubleshooting fix attempts, still leaking.

I don't see it happening. And with the push to Saturday, my understanding is that Monday isn't an option and the next chance isn't until late September and unclear if it would be rolled back to the hangar in the meantime.
You'd think the minute you start moth balling something like this you're going to start getting gremlins creeping in

lithy

20 Year Member
Artemis tanking test today, another leak. Unless I missed something repairs were made at the pad and it was never rolled back to the VAB. Supposedly testing for possible launch attempt next week.

lithy

20 Year Member
Launch attempt scheduled for Tuesday September 27, but Tropical Depression 9 could delay that if the forecasters are close.

lithy

20 Year Member
Being rolled back to the VAB because of Hurricane Ian, won't know for a while now when the next attempt might be.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's raining where I am tonight, but this is the closest we'll get to Jupiter in our lifetimes and probably our children's lifetimes. In clear skies you can see its moons and rings with binoculars.