Aww, here it goes. Coolio dead at 59.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Always hilarious when somebody mentions that a rap track is just three minutes of a sample of an old jazz song and how that hurt their perception of it. Welcome to rap, my guy.

Anyway, RIP Coolio.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Always hilarious when somebody mentions that a rap track is just three minutes of a sample of an old jazz song and how that hurt their perception of it. Welcome to rap, my guy.

Anyway, RIP Coolio.
I mean there's big difference between stuff like Paul's Boutique and shit like Hard Knock Life. But yeah.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I'm generalizing, of course, but the foundation of rap music is sampling break beats for several minutes. You get what I mean.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
“… not until you've listen to Rakim on a rocky mountain top
have you heard hip hop
extract the urban element which created it
and let a open wide countryside illustrate it…”

Nowadays samples cost $$$$$ so breaks have almost died off, especially in mainstream hiphop. Only platinum level sales can pay off the clearances. There’s a reason they start hyping a new Avalanches record a month before it comes out. They won’t make any money until after a bunch of dead people do.

What sucks is when you’re listening to a track and you suddenly realize it was based on a famous hook/sample at one point and they took it out so the song could be released…

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
10 kids, 3M net worth.

His contract did him dirty; sold 30M records…if he had Nas’ point structure, album sales alone would have him at 69M.

Went out like John Entwisle from The Who. Cocaine induced heart attack.

His stuff w/ WC and the Madd Circle still slaps. Godspeed you, Artis.
He was in a shocking amount of movies and television shows to only be worth 3M, too.

TV shows and movies he appeared in, among many others:
The Parent 'Hood
Martin
All That
Kenan and Kel
Fear Factor
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
The Nanny
Arli$$
Futurama
Charmed
Static Shock
Joey
Gravity Falls
Black Jesus
Batman and Robin
The Leprechaun in the Hood
Daredevil
Dracula 3000

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
He was in a shocking amount of movies and television shows to only be worth 3M, too.

The Parent 'Hood
Martin
All That
Kenan and Kel
Fear Factor
The Nanny
Arli$$
Futurama
Charmed
Static Shock
Joey
Gravity Falls
Black Jesus
Batman and Robin
Daredevil
Dracula 3000
isn't his net worth mostly due to the amount of kids he had with different women? also best concert I ever went to, especially when he had an opera singer and violins doing <See you when you get there>

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Just because Google auto-completes every celebrity’s name with “net worth” doesn’t mean you have to actually click on it, ya goulish fucks.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

The Parent 'Hood
Martin
All That
Kenan and Kel
Fear Factor
The Nanny
Arli$$
Futurama
Charmed
Static Shock
Joey
Gravity Falls
Black Jesus
Batman and Robin
Daredevil
Dracula 3000
Maybe he appeared in lots of expensive stores too

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
“… not until you've listen to Rakim on a rocky mountain top
have you heard hip hop
extract the urban element which created it
and let a open wide countryside illustrate it…”

Nowadays samples cost $$$$$ so breaks have almost died off, especially in mainstream hiphop. Only platinum level sales can pay off the clearances. There’s a reason they start hyping a new Avalanches record a month before it comes out. They won’t make any money until after a bunch of dead people do.

What sucks is when you’re listening to a track and you suddenly realize it was based on a famous hook/sample at one point and they took it out so the song could be released…

Folks tend to give you a lot of shit; however, I’ll give respect where it’s due.

Quoting one of Saul’s sickest verses, from an esoteric label like NinjaTune-that’s what’s up.

*tips hat*

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Folks tend to give you a lot of shit; however, I’ll give respect where it’s due.

Quoting one of Saul’s sickest verses, from an esoteric label like NinjaTune-that’s what’s up.

*tips hat*

+EDIT+

Speaking of Avalanches:
They almost out-Princed, Paul on this one:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
wow imagine if your dad was coolio. that'd be cool. yo.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Coolio was not a very good rapper but RIP nonetheless.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I’ve seen him live doing a DJ set once. He was at the St Andrews student union promoting a new album in the mid 2000s.

Early on in his set he played Gangsters Paradise, the crowd fucking loved it.

Then he played a new track, and got heckled and boo’ed. He put Gangsters Paradise back on. Everyone cheered, grooved and got wasted.

I think he played Gangsters Paradise back to back maybe 3 more times before taking the mic and saying ‘okay guys but now we’ve got to listen to the new shit’.

And then 80% of the crowd left. Poor Coolio.

RIP homie.

What a sad crowd.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
RIP coolio i wasn't the biggest fan i but i listen to some of his stuff.Still without coolio we wouldn't have this parody heh.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Accidental fentanyl, heroin and meth overdose. It really does feel like an epidemic.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Anyone know the circumstances of mf dooms death? It wasn't publicized at the time so I assume either drugs or suicide.

And lol at folks thinking I had an issue with hip hop sampling old music. No, it's just there's a lack of creativity and skill involved if you're just straight up looping 10 seconds of music instead of flipping the sample to create something that sounds quite different. And no, kids in cities around the world are not looping old music to rhyme over anymore, that's some old obsolete uncool shit to gen z and earlier.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I keep reading news stories for awhile now that people are going around throwing Fetanyl all over the place and in everything.
Stay safe!

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I keep reading news stories for awhile now that people are going around throwing Fetanyl all over the place and in everything.
Stay safe!
Don't pop pills or do powders, you should be ok

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

First couple results say claims are overblown but then theres tons of links of documented cases of it happening.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
E8-C633-D7-163-C-4-DB7-9915-C5-A4-E3638-D48.jpg

Rip in peace Kwanzaabot