Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Started October off right with a movie I hadn't seen yet and an old cheese-ball that I hadn't seen in a while.

Black Friday (2021) - Low expectations but it's an inoffensive low-budget monster movie with Devin Sawa, Bruce Campbell and Michael Jai White. Parasitic alien turns Black Friday shoppers at a chain toy store into fast-zombie-ish monsters. A few good creature FX here and there but you could tell this was a COVID production (very empty for a movie supposedly about Black Friday) and you can rattle off the characters and their arcs without even watching the movie (it's people working a dead-end retail job on Black Friday). I wouldn't tell anyone to expect Ash from Mr. Campbell or Black Dynamite from Michael Jai White but they both play understated versions of the kinds of characters they're known for (cowardly asshole and smooth motherfucker respectively). I really wish Michael Jai White could have a Samuel L. Jackson-esque late-career star run. That dude is just so good in everything.

Anyway, the main girl's name looked really familiar so I looked her up: turns out it's the little girl from Pan's Labyrinth all grown-up. Meow. So yeah, a lot of obvious jokes and it doesn't really do anything new or exciting but if you like the "people trapped somewhere with monsters" genre, it's a totally serviceable 90 minutes.

Wishmaster - Don't know if it was somebody on here talking about it recently or somewhere else that reminded me about Wishmaster but this one hit me right in the 90s feels. I saw it when it came out and remembering it a) being corny as shit and b) having some awesome cameos in it. What I had forgotten was that it was one of the last great practical fx gore movies (until the modern era at least). It was essentially a slasher movie that came out post-Scream so it bombed miserably (made all the more amusing by the fact that Wes Craven produced it). The plot is rock simple (smart lady sort of unleashes an evil genie, he stalks her to try and force her to make her three wishes which will unleash his brethren, kills a bunch of people along the way, etc. etc.).

So yeah, the bad in the movie is pretty-straightforward: it's campy as shit and it's 90s as fuck. The hair and clothes, it has some of the remnants of the MTV/pop film editing style of that era and there's a couple of musical choices that immediately remind you why everyone forgot that era of post-grunge hard rock music. It also has a handful of CG shots that just aren't good. Most stuff from that era (pretty much everything that wasn't Jurassic Park and T2) didn't really hold up but this is particularly shoddy, especially in light of how good most of the practical stuff is. Oh, and the main protagonist was a perennial TV guest star who went on to do nothing after this. With good reason.

So yeah, I would totally understand someone writing off the movie after all that but it's got a lot to offer horror movie buffs: the opening scene and the final scene are both a sequence of great practical fx shots. People mutating and dying in all kinds of fucked-up miserable ways (shout-out especially to the "skeleton transformation" in the opening scene) and some really good use of "living statues". I wouldn't want to ruin some of the stuff in there but it's chef's kiss and pretty impressive for a movie with a $5 million dollar budget. Andrew Divoff (who plays the Djinn) just devours the scenery in a way that probably saves the movie for me. His ridiculous voice, his Freddy-lite one-liners and his over-the-top evil grins when in human form would've probably been embarrassing if done any more seriously but he just sold it for me. Finally, this movie was a horror nerd's wet dream in 1997. Robert Kurtzman, who directed the movie, was the K in KNB EFX (along with Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger) and dude (along with Wes Craven I'm sure) called in every favor he possibly could to the point that this movie is the "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" of that era of horror movies. The Djinn's victims in the movie include George Buck Flowers (the homeless guy in every 80s movie), Kane Hodder, Robert Englund, Tony Todd, Reggie Bannister, Ted Raimi (sort of) and Robert Kurtzman himself AND the movie has a narration intro from Angus Scrimm and brief cameos from Tom Savini, Joe Pilato (Rhodes from Day of the Dead) and Dan Hicks ("Bobby Joeeeee!!" from Evil Dead 2). And that's just the ones I recognized in the movie and the credits.

The movie has three sequels but Andrew Divoff is only in the first one (which I saw and remember being terrible) and supposedly the other two are even worse.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wishmaster 2 is worth watching, it leans hard into the comedy. It's cheap as hell (it was made for HBO) but it's still quite a bit of fun.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I first saw Wishmaster I think in 2014 after GregN recommended it. You summed it up perfectly. A really enjoyable horror flick. I feel bad for never renting it in the 90s.

Another great one, like legit great and not just corny, is Lord of Illusions. I also thought this would be some cheap B-movie back in the 90s but it isn't and I love it. YouTube has some of the deleted scenes that were too much for the censors, apparently.

Oh btw, Andrew Divoff is still the djinn in Wishmaster 2. He's in prison this time. Not as good as the first but lots of good laughs.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh btw, Andrew Divoff is still the djinn in Wishmaster 2. He's in prison this time. Not as good as the first but lots of good laughs.
If I remember correctly in the second one he allows himself to be arrested for his own amusement because he knows in jail there will be an endless supply of horrible idiots that will make terrible wishes. One scene involves a man fucking himself in the ass with his own dick.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, remember the prison part. It's probably been twenty years so I'd be willing to rewatch it but I remember it just being the corny parts of the first one and none of the production value or cool cameos of the first one. Hell, I've watched way worse horror sequels.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Warlock 2: Armageddon- They really upped the gore and weirdness with this sequel as well as the stupidity. The opening "birth" scene is lets you know what kind of movie you're in for right off the bat. There are some surprisingly good practical effects here but there's also some of the absolute worst CG in anything ever. I appreciate the creativity but I'm not kidding when I say bad CG. Unfortunately the new main characters aren't any better than the awful woman from the first and they can't hold a candle to the witch hunter. On the plus side Julian Sands gets a lot more screen time and he really seems to relish reprising the role. Overall I can't say it's really any better or worse than the first one it just has a different vibe to it and it's early 90s as hell. This one is directed by the guy that did Waxwork 1 & 2 as well as Hellraiser 3 and it has his particular sloppy weirdness all over it. If you liked the first one you'll probably like this one as well.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
House on Haunted Hill- The longest Marylin Manson video ever. Seriously though it's late 90s a fuck. The cast alone has everyone from Famke Jansen to Lisa Loeb, then you've got the soundtrack and visuals which pretty much any goth/angsty music video from 1995-00. But it wouldn't really be late 90s without some awful CG thrown in for good measure. It really is a sister movie to Thirteen Ghosts, just unashamedly total shlock from start to finish. It's not a good movie, at all but it's still dumb fun and a great time capsule.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Another great one, like legit great and not just corny, is Lord of Illusions. I also thought this would be some cheap B-movie back in the 90s but it isn't and I love it. YouTube has some of the deleted scenes that were too much for the censors, apparently.

I really liked Lord of Illusions, but it was critically panned at release. I don't remember why, but I recall i was the outlier for this movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think LOI is just too weird for most people, it also doesn't have an iconic villain like Pinhead which I think a lot of people expected. I also think a lot of people couldn't get over Scott Bakula being the lead in a Clive Barker piece. It's a pretty cool movie though, a unique and interesting story, some great sets and set-pieces, Famke Jansen looking good and Daniel Von Bargen is awesome as the bad guy. It certainly feels very Barker.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Starship Troopers- Obviously not quite on the same level as Robocp or Total Recall but still an incredibly entertaining movie. I will admit that the beginning is hard to watch, a good 20 minutes of teen drama (satire or not) is rough. Then all the super arrogant gung-ho space marine bullshit which is swiftly reversed by the sheer horror of war and by the end though you've got fucking Doogie Hauser in full SS officer regalia violently probing a giant space worm. For fucks sake Denise Richards being a hotshot captain of a huge space frigate is about as believable as her being a nuclear physicist named Dr. Christmans Jones. Even though the fascist propaganda, imagery and humor are all quite obvious I still think it might have been just a little too clever for the casual audience that thought they were going to get something more along the lines of Aliens. I'm also not entirely sure that a lot of the actors themselves were in on the jokes.

Then there's the astounding amount of action, violence and special effects which I know I didn't fully appreciate at the time of release. While the CG is often spotty and some of the composite shots are just awful it really doesn't matter and the ambitiousness is very impressive. I can just imagine Verhoeven being told that a lot of it was un-filmable and him just saying fuck that.

Anyways while still extremely flawed I have come to appreciate the movie more over the years though I'm still not sure how it managed to spawn so many awful direct to video sequels. I also have no idea how closely it follows the book but knowing Verhoeven it's probably not very faithful.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I still think it might have been just a little too clever for the casual audience
Definitely. The number of people, even 20+ years later, who view the movie as a straight ahead adventure story featuring heroes you are supposed to cheer must have been disheartening as hell for Verhoeven. The vast majority of the audience even now take the rousing music at face value. The movie isn't even about fascism as much as it is about how easy it is for normal people to get sucked into fascism, as the dumb audience reaction to the movie so perfectly illustrates.

In a way, I think Starship Troopers is a better movie than Robocop or Total Recall, although they're both more fun to watch. I mean, even the most sympathetic character in Starship Troopers, Diz, is a hapless dupe. All three movies have incredibly downbeat endings, but at least Robocop and Total Recall have main characters you can get behind.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hocus Pocus 2 - can't really comment on the movie because I pretty much tuned out after I noticed Sarah Jessica Parker covered up her bosom in this one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I also have no idea how closely it follows the book but knowing Verhoeven it's probably not very faithful.

Other than the name and some character names it doesn't at all. The book is considered one of the best sci-fi books ever.

Spoiler: It's not.

It's completely boring, but it did at least introduce powered armor - that is used once at the beginning.

In some ways it's like the movie in that it's an allegory for fascism, and has some political commentary. It's just wrapped in a terribly written story. Read something better, like anything by Clarke, Asimov, Banks, Crichton, or that bigot Card.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Isn't the book basically the movie, but played straight?
Maybe to some but it didn't come off that way to me.

The movie is more of a 'clear' satire of the situation but interspersed with light comedy and awkward situations and Verhoven goodness. It's got way different beats and cuts out a lot of the (boring) fat from the book like the chapter where he meets his dad after the dad enlists, or the chapter where he reminisces about his math teacher.

When the movie came out I was 20, and thought it was just a shitty knockoff of Aliens with worse special effects. Ive also grown to appreciate it for what it was and what Verhoven was after. I mean its honestly still a pretty shitty movie as a whole, but I can (now) see what Verhoven was trying to do, and like many at the time it was taken at face value. I didn't read the book until several years later. The movie is 100x more entertaining than the book.

Ive never read anything else by Heinlein because of the sour taste from his book.

Reactions: wyo

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

The movie is more of a 'clear' satire of the situation but interspersed with light comedy and awkward situations and Verhoven goodness. It's got way different beats and cuts out a lot of the (boring) fat from the book like the chapter where he meets his dad after the dad enlists, or the chapter where he reminisces about his math teacher.

When the movie came out I was 20
Ah, you are 45 years old.

I am 35, btw. You see, it was my birthday just some days ago.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

When the movie came out I was 20, and thought it was just a shitty knockoff of Aliens with worse special effects. Ive also grown to appreciate it for what it was and what Verhoven was after. I mean its honestly still a pretty shitty movie as a whole, but I can (now) see what Verhoven was trying to do, and like many at the time it was taken at face value. I didn't read the book until several years later. The movie is 100x more entertaining than the book.

Ive never read anything else by Heinlein because of the sour taste from his book.

Read Stranger in a Strange Land.

Wildly different in tone.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Psycho - had never seen it and always #1 or #2 on "best horror movies of all time". I don't get it. I can only ever seen Vince as you're-so-money and Anne Haysh lost any appeal when she started Ellen diving.

Bad all-around. 2/10

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Psycho - had never seen it and always #1 or #2 on "best horror movies of all time". I don't get it. I can only ever seen Vince as you're-so-money and Anne Haysh lost any appeal when she started Ellen diving.

Bad all-around. 2/10

Wait.. why would you watch the remake with Vince Vaughn?

Have you watched the actual Psycho?