NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Make sure you a will, people!
Yeah, my family will be full of millionaires after I die with this baby
IMAG8316_large.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I’ve told my wife to contact @skate323k137 & @yagamikun if something would happen to me. She knows our son wants the Metal Slug stuff though…

I can honestly say that with my wife’s horse stuff I have no clue. I’d probably have to consult with one of her horse friends on what it is, what’s it’s use is & any value, cause that’s not my thing…
My wife knows a couple contacts just in case of the worst, a couple of trustworthy folks from these forums and such. I didn't know I was holding a place like that but I'll take it as the highest of complements while hoping nothing bad happens to you and yours.

I do agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, that a pile of stuff is more a burden to the family. Should I be lucky enough to reach modern life expectancy like I hope, I'll try to give my nieces and nephews what they want (if anything) and sell or donate the rest.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
When my parents die it's going to be a nightmare.
They keep telling me it's just more for my inheritance.
I keep telling them it's just more shit that's going to end up in a roll-off dumpster.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Send all your wives my way, I’ll take care of ‘em, reeaaalllllll sweet.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
@Neodogg My partner's folks own a gargantuan farm, so they might could help with the horse stuff. 🐴

I'm pretty "type-a" so I have a sizeable Excel workbook that details every game in my library separated by console (each with an individual worksheet) with region and general condition. I also have a cloud archive with one picture of every game as well. The only games I have detailed financial information for is my SNK collection (both what I paid and average market values updated every six months). I have financial information listed for some of the other high-dollar items (like Panzer Saga and the like) as well, but that's the exception.

If I die, everything goes to my bff (used to be a member here a loooooong time ago). If my partner has to deal with it all, though, I've made things as easy as possible. I have a lot of shit - and most of it is quite valuable (at least right now). It's a bit of work, but the curation aspect of this archive is quite a fun hobby. 🤷‍♂️

If we both go, I have instructions left to donate my entire library to the Video Game History Foundation - well, and my copies of Mutation Nation and Baseball Stars 2 goes to Wasabi so he doesn't hound me in my grave for them.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
@Neodogg My partner's folks own a gargantuan farm, so they might could help with the horse stuff. 🐴

I'm pretty "type-a" so I have a sizeable Excel workbook that details every game in my library separated by console (each with an individual worksheet) with region and general condition. I also have a cloud archive with one picture of every game as well. The only games I have detailed financial information for is my SNK collection (both what I paid and average market values updated every six months). I have financial information listed for some of the other high-dollar items (like Panzer Saga and the like) as well, but that's the exception.

If I die, everything goes to my bff (used to be a member here a loooooong time ago). If my partner has to deal with it all, though, I've made things as easy as possible. I have a lot of shit - and most of it is quite valuable (at least right now). It's a bit of work, but the curation aspect of this archive is quite a fun hobby. 🤷‍♂️

If we both go, I have instructions left to donate my entire library to the Video Game History Foundation - well, and my copies of Mutation Nation and Baseball Stars 2 goes to Wasabi so he doesn't hound me in my grave for them.
Lol what

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

Yikes.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Yeah, like most of you, I've amassed a ton of shit over the years, and a lot of it has become quite valuable over time. I feel the same way, and wouldn't want to burden my family with it. I figure when the kids are off to college, I'll have the motivation to sell. And if something happens before then, like cancer or something along those lines, I would sell it all as well. I wouldn't want to leave them with all of that stuff.

It's just the thought of going through everything and selling online with the packaging and mailing and all of that, ugh, what a nightmare. I'll need the motivation to bother with it. But as far as sentimental attachment and that kind of thing, there's not a lot that I'm tied to, so apart from the hassle of it, the idea of selling doesn't bother me.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The best (read: worst) is when these people begin building up collections of junk with the purpose of passing it on to their infant children. I've seen it across multiple hobbies and it's always hilarious.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Everyone thinks their collection is valuable. It's one of the biggest lies you tell yourself to justify it. Passing the collection on as inheritance is mainly a selfish burden. People generally collect out of Nostalgia. Except the next generation doesn't have that Nostalgia, so the stuff loses almost all value.

Buck Rogers
Lone Ranger
Elvis
HO Trains
Precious Moments
Atari 2600
Glass Marbles
Baseball cards
99.9% of Comics

None of that shit has any real collector value anymore. People thought Elvis was timeless, but that certainly isn't true. The Beatles are barely hanging on, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are one generation away from being irrelevant in the collector market.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Everyone thinks their collection is valuable. It's one of the biggest lies you tell yourself to justify it. Passing the collection on as inheritance is mainly a selfish burden. People generally collect out of Nostalgia. Except the next generation doesn't have that Nostalgia, so the stuff loses almost all value.

Buck Rogers
Lone Ranger
Elvis
HO Trains
Precious Moments
Atari 2600
Glass Marbles
Baseball cards
99.9% of Comics

None of that shit has any real collector value anymore. People thought Elvis was timeless, but that certainly isn't true. The Beatles are barely hanging on, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are one generation away from being irrelevant in the collector market.

I used to think some things would be timeless but with the advent of on-demand music, video, and other entertainment I’m inclined to agree with you. It’s much more difficult to become any kind of widespread, cultural phenomenon simply because people have access to their specific tastes and micro-niches 24/7. Will be interesting to see how we define culture in 50 years. What all do we have in common anymore as a shared culture? Our freedumbs?

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Never mind death, I plan to move within the next year and the thought of moving everything seems like such a pain. My problem is I like too many different things and have too many different hobbies.

With video games, my problem is *might* "Will I ever play this 70 hour anime Playstation 2 RPG? Will I ever play Atari 5200 again?"

Probably not, but *I might.*

Once I can get myself past that, I think the floodgates will be open for me to pair down a portion of my game collection.

I enjoy my game collection and do continue to buy a little, but sometimes I wish I could meet some rich person that would completely buy me out for a good price. Take everything in one swoop.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm surprised, nay, shocked, that we've got well into page two of this thread, and none of you doll fuckers have declared that you're having all your shelf warming shit buried with you.

However, for those considering this, you'll need three graves - one for you and your shit, one for all the dust it's collected, and one for your shame.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm surprised, nay, shocked, that we've got well into page two of this thread, and none of you doll fuckers have declared that you're having all your shelf warming shit buried with you.

However, for those considering this, you'll need three graves - one for you and your shit, one for all the dust it's collected, and one for your shame.
Graves are for poors lol

I've been making payments on a mausoleum shaped like an N64 with a fully finished subterranean ossuary since 2006. It should be fully payed off in another decade which is right around the time I should statistically die from a diet of nothing but Hot Pockets, Pizza Rolls and energy drinks. That or autoerotic asphyxiation, whichever come first.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A Viking funeral for your stuff is another option.

Anyway, I don't care for the value of what I have, just don't want my family to have any stress with it when I'm gone so I'm going to give it away piece by piece the older I get. I've already given away some systems, games and other stuff to younger folks who can appreciate it... or maybe not and they flip it on ebay, whatever suits them best I guess.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Graves are for poors lol

I've been making payments on a mausoleum shaped like an N64 with a fully finished subterranean ossuary since 2006. It should be fully payed off in another decade which is right around the time I should statistically die from a diet of nothing but Hot Pockets, Pizza Rolls and energy drinks. That or autoerotic asphyxiation, whichever come first.
HDMI mod or no?

As for the autoerotic asphyxiation - pics or it never happened.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

Anyway, I don't care for the value of what I have, just don't want my family to have any stress with it when I'm gone so I'm going to give it away piece by piece the older I get. I've already given away some systems, games and other stuff to younger folks who can appreciate it... or maybe not and they flip it on ebay, whatever suits them best I guess.
There's bound to be some cocksmoker out there who wants to be burnt on a pyre a la Vader at the end of ROTJ... so sad, these deserve to be dead.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There's bound to be some cocksmoker out there who wants to be burnt on a pyre a la Vader at the end of ROTJ... so sad, these deserve to be dead.

I’d settle for being tossed in a field, doused in gasoline, then lit on fire.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

This reminds me of a kid I bought a Mac SE from. He honestly wanted it and was curious but he put it on Craigslist and I bought and restored it.

Nowadays, if I somehow saw that kid (unbelievably unlikely) I would just hand him a classic Mac.