Steodown transformers yay or nay?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
In the era of analog transformer based power supplies it would cost more to build 100-220VAC 50/60hz supplies so you won’t see them in consoles until the modern era of chip based PSUs that can more or less handle the range without issue. Almost every USB-C wall adaptor is world-wide, for example. Most laptops are also, as are a lot of arcade machines and AT power supplies via switch.

Of course most consoles 16-bit and earlier have external PSUs so it really makes more sense to just replace that.

I’m pretty sure the Saturn PS is identical between US and Japan regardless of what the sticker on the back says. I haven’t been inside one for a while though.

In a lot of old AV gear aimed at Hong Kong they wound have multi range power supplies.
cheaper to design 1 PSU that works on US and JPN power with the same components than design two

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
cheaper to design 1 PSU that works on US and JPN power with the same components than design two

Nowadays it is, yeah. Thanks to the PWM voltage regulator. In the old days though it more than doubled the cost.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I bought a 1500w stepdown with circuit breaker for like $150aud. For peace of mind with the Vewlix it's a small price to pay. That and I can literally throw anything at this thing.
Which brand (model) is the stepdown?

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
In my experience the sega astro power supply reads 90-132v.The Naomi cabs all use Sun psu that reads100-120v and they were used in USA and Japan. The Blast city and sega fishing cab use the exact same psu it reads 90-132v. From what I’ve seen reading pdf manuals and actually seeing the chassis in the cabs themselves the Nanao ms-8-29, MS9-29, MS8-26, MS8-18,MS2932,MS2934,Toshiba pd we’re all in cabs in the US. However the thought has crossed my mind to use a step down. Idk at this point I’ve been doing it without one for 20 years.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I probably could've gone smaller but it tucks away neatly. Dunno what I'd use on it that would draw close to it's limit though.

I do!

A mate of mine at Uni brought his cannabis grow lamps with him from abroad, needed puppies like this, lol.

metouto

n00b
I have a step down for Japanese stuff that’s rare but it’s mostly paranoia

MOST consoles are fine without it. The components will accept a range of voltages before there are any short or long term issues. Mostly it’s down to flexibility in the design.

This is for US / Japan only. Euro stuff…def need a step down!

Case in point I have my 3DO M2 FZ-21 “console” on a step down converter but a friend who is an electrical engineer just dismantled one and dumped the bios…electronic design is fine from 100-135V per his looking at it. So technically…I don’t need the step down converter. But I’m paranoid lol

But they certainly can’t HURT and they aren’t too expensive so even if it’s a placebo effect probably worth it

I say that and I’ve owned a Japanese Saturn that’s had Salesforce Consultant Manchester 15+ years of gameplay on North American power and it’s been happy with it commercial kitchen flooring
I need to energize a small, low power board (12vDC / 35 mA) from a panel providing 24vDC, 500 mA max. Both are outdoors in a weather tight enclosure with not a lot of extra space. What should I look for in a step-down transformer for this application or is there another practical solution. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I need to energize a small, low power board (12vDC / 35 mA) from a panel providing 24vDC, 500 mA max. Both are outdoors in a weather tight enclosure with not a lot of extra space. What should I look for in a step down transformer for this application or is there another practical solution. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Get yourself a DC-DC converter, can be had cheaply.

That or feed the 12v device with 12v from any number of 12v power supplies.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You need to install a voltage regulator or 2:1 transformer.
That wouldn’t be a step down issue, exactly. People use “step down” usually to refer to something that plugs into the wall at 100/120/220VAC.