Yuji Naka arrested for insider trading

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sonic 2 and Sonic CD were the series highlights and it's been 'okay' to 'shocking' since then.

I did like the Sonic Adventure games at the time, but they don't told up well at all.

Sonic Generations felt alright as a tribute to the 20 years of variable quality in the series. They should have ended it there.

I did see the first Sonic film on Netflix - Jim Carrey did an alright job as Dr Robotnik I guess.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
2 seconds on Google says it's been used in a bunch of games:
Sonic R
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Pinball Party
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic Generations
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Team Sonic Racing
I had no idea that shitty song was in so many games.

I'm a Sonic apologist. I would guess that most people complaining have never played most of the recent games. Sonic Forces is not bad, it's just okay. It delivers what people were asking for maybe a decade too late, with mediocre stage design and a very skippable story.

I don't think most Sonic fans would consider Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric a proper Sonic game. It's just outsourced (made by some developer called Big Red Button) and aimed at kids who watch a recent animated show. The problem with games like that is it dillutes the brand all the same. Just like Konami outsourcing Contra for a quick cash grab.

Last edited:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Sonic 2 and Sonic CD were the series highlights and it's been 'okay' to 'shocking' since then.

I did like the Sonic Adventure games at the time, but they don't told up well at all.

Sonic Generations felt alright as a tribute to the 20 years of variable quality in the series. They should have ended it there.

I did see the first Sonic film on Netflix - Jim Carrey did an alright job as Dr Robotnik I guess.
Sonic CD was god awful! Goes Sonic 1 MD > Sonic 1 Master system MS > Sonic and knuckles > Sonic 2 > Sonic generation Sonic 3 > the rest

Sonic Adventure Azure Coast 1st level is still to this day the best 1st level ever made. Looks beautiful plays well and great music.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
But how does Chris Chandler feel about all of this?

Screenshot_20221121-112818-537.png

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sonic CD was god awful! Goes Sonic 1 MD > Sonic 1 Master system MS > Sonic and knuckles > Sonic 2 > Sonic generation Sonic 3 > the rest

Sonic Adventure Azure Coast 1st level is still to this day the best 1st level ever made. Looks beautiful plays well and great music.

Really? For me CD is like Sonic 1 Remix edition. It shows a different path the games could have taken after Sonic 1. I guess your happy the Sonic 2 style won out.

It’s probably for me:

Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > Sonic 1 > Sonic 3 with S&K (which should have been 1 game anyway) > Sonic Generations.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I'm a Sonic apologist. I would guess that most people complaining have never played most of the recent games. Sonic Forces is not bad, it's just okay. It delivers what people were asking for maybe a decade too late, with mediocre stage design and a very skippable story.

I don't think most Sonic fans would consider Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric a proper Sonic game. It's just outsourced (made by some developer called Big Red Button) and aimed at kids who watch a recent animated show. The problem with games like that is it dillutes the brand all the same. Just like Konami outsourcing Contra for a quick cash grab.

Really? For me CD is like Sonic 1 Remix edition. It shows a different path the games could have taken after Sonic 1. I guess your happy the Sonic 2 style won out.

It’s probably for me:

Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > Sonic 1 > Sonic 3 with S&K (which should have been 1 game anyway) > Sonic Generations.
That's what I hated about CD it just seemed like a fan hack before they were a thing maybe to ambitious.

I would of included s3&k but carnival zone with its up down poles can go straight to hell.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've never bothered trying to see what's up with the time traveling thing in Sonice CD. I just play through to beat the stage and somehow I end up randomly time traveling. Breaks up the action in a bad way. I have no fucking clue what's going on half the time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The real problem with modern Sonic games is that they're all basically automated running tracks. Every few seconds you push the same button to bounce off something, trigger a thing or hit an enemy. They're boring as fuck. There's clunky platforming sections here and there to break things up but those are always awful. The boss fights are lame and repetitive. Shit, most of the challenge doesn't even come from the gameplay, it comes from the camera sucking ass and game breaking engine glitches. Add to that the flat out embarrassing writing/stories and horrible characters and the series is a straight up joke.

2D Sonic worked because of the limitations of the format and I enjoy a lot of them but they just can't be adapted into 3D.

Look at this new open world one, it's just a bunch of running tracks sloppily stitched together on a giant map. Same shit gameplay, same shit bosses and same shit characters and embarrassing writing.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I had no idea that shitty song was in so many games.

Sonic Forces is ass.

3D Sonic:
Sonic Adventure was good at the time
Sonic Adventure 2 was mostly good, except the Knuckles and Rouge stages
Sonic Heroes was decent but nobody seemed to like it at the time
Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible 2000s edgelord shit; also only like 3 hours of actual gameplay
Sonic 2006 was horrible, among the worst big budget games ever. Not even functional.
Sonic and the Secret Rings was mediocre; you have to actually grind enough in game currency to buy functional controls for some reason
Sonic Unleashed was mediocre; day stages were too automated, night stages were decent but didn't fit with the rest of the game
Sonic and the Black Knight was mediocre, too many RPG elements
Sonic Colors was them finally figuring out the formula they botched in Secret Rings, Unleashed, and Black Knight. Great game.
Sonic Generations is good; it's basically a greatest hits of Sonic stages running in Colors style gameplay
Sonic Lost World is good
All the Sonic Boom games are awful
Sonic Forces is awful

Haven't played Frontiers and have no intention of paying full price for it after Forces.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Horrible? Sonic 2006 is a beautiful mess. It needed another year to bake, but developers were just learning the perils of rushing AAA development back then. It has amazing highs like the diverse, expansive soundtrack, Final Fantasy-quality cutscenes and stages such as Kingdom Valley, which has amazing set pieces and graphics. To terrible lows like the challenges talking to the idiots in the town, and glitching through floors. I doubt I'd have time for anything like it now, but I was still glad I played through it when I finally got back into it one day and saw the credits sequence. More time in the oven might have just polished a turd, but there are nuggets of gold in there.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I forgot to mention Sonic Mania, which was pretty fine a few years back.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sonic Heroes was decent but nobody seemed to like it at the time

I was a kid at the time and still hated Sonic Heroes. It ruined the sense of speed from SA1 and SA2.

I gotta agree with Shroom, if you knew the 3D Sonic games were bad why did you end up buying and playing so many of them?

15 years ago I might have still cared if a SA3 was going to come out or not, but given the cash grab nature Sega have treated their fans since then (with the only semi decent games being Colors, Generations and Mania) they can suck a dick. It would be better if they folded at this point as it’s just doing more harm to their IPs the longer they struggle on.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was a kid at the time and still hated Sonic Heroes. It ruined the sense of speed from SA1 and SA2.

I gotta agree with Shroom, if you knew the 3D Sonic games were bad why did you end up buying and playing so many of them?

15 years ago I might have still cared if a SA3 was going to come out or not, but given the cash grab nature Sega have treated their fans since then (with the only semi decent games being Colors, Generations and Mania) they can suck a dick. It would be better if they folded at this point as it’s just doing more harm to their IPs the longer they struggle on.
I generally buy them for 15-20 bucks way after they release. I think I paid 4 bucks for Sonic '06.

For 15 bucks Sonic Unleashed wasn't a bad purchase. If I had paid 60 for it I'd have been pissed.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I bought Sonic Shuffle brand new at the time. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Weirdest party game I've ever played, has kind of a dark vibe to it.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Horrible? Sonic 2006 is a beautiful mess. It needed another year to bake, but developers were just learning the perils of rushing AAA development back then. It has amazing highs like the diverse, expansive soundtrack, Final Fantasy-quality cutscenes and stages such as Kingdom Valley, which has amazing set pieces and graphics. To terrible lows like the challenges talking to the idiots in the town, and glitching through floors. I doubt I'd have time for anything like it now, but I was still glad I played through it when I finally got back into it one day and saw the credits sequence. More time in the oven might have just polished a turd, but there are nuggets of gold in there.

Is this the one that got a performance boost if you play on XB Series X?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Is this the one that got a performance boost if you play on XB Series X?
No. Per Microsoft's site, the games are Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations. They probably determined Sonic 2006 was beyond help.