Bifocals

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Do any of you have bifocals? What do you think of them?

My optometrist has suggested them at my eye exams in the past, and, I've been hesitant, but, this morning, I finally caved and agreed for my new glasses. I often take my glasses off, or look under them, for books/magazines, my phone, handheld game units, etc. so, it's time.

Getting old sucks, yadda, yadda.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I got them this last year and I dont mind them. They tried to get me to use progressives, or tri-focals, whatever they're called and I did *not* like those. My mid range and long range sight are almost identical so I went ahead and just forewent (foregoed? whatever) the mid-range and went with up close and distance.

They work for me just fine. And I dont care that the near vision lenses are visible.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The doc recommended them last time I had an exam. I said no since my near sight is still fantastic, but it turns out he was right. Although I can see up close well without my glasses, with them on it's becoming more and more difficult. When I do soldering work it's a frustrating bit of taking my glasses off when I'm doing the actual soldering and putting them back on when I need to look at the computer screen, grab another part or tool or something, etc.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The doc recommended them last time I had an exam. I said no since my near sight is still fantastic, but it turns out he was right. Although I can see up close well without my glasses, with them on it's becoming more and more difficult. When I do soldering work it's a frustrating bit of taking my glasses off when I'm doing the actual soldering and putting them back on when I need to look at the computer screen, grab another part or tool or something, etc.
Yeah that happened to me.

I realized that when I was looking at my phone or tablet while watching TV I was having to hold them further and further away, or Id just take off my glasses and put it up real close. Not sure how I didn't realize what was happening.

Same with soldering. It was getting really difficult to see small stuff, and even using one of those magnification visors didnt seem to help, I was still squinting.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
yeah, next visit I thinking I'm taking that jump. I wear glasses for computer work but if I have them on I can't see the papers/phone on the desk and have to take them off...ugh getting old

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For real. It took me a little time to get used to using the bifocals, but I finally did. I still catch myself nodding upward sometimes though lol

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Lasers. Now I'm a fucking eagle. I can see a fish 100 meters away.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Maybe next time. I can still read, play Gameboy, whatever perfectly fine without glasses so I’m sticking with single vision.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Lasers. Now I'm a fucking eagle. I can see a fish 100 meters away.
I asked about lasik and my optometrist laughed at me and said "lasik doesnt work for idiots with the beetus, dipshit."

Been goin to her for like 18 years.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
After having my (eye) lenses replaced I became farsighted and need glasses for close up shit. Things like I dunno syringes for insulin:D

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I asked about lasik and my optometrist laughed at me and said "lasik doesnt work for idiots with the beetus, dipshit."

Been goin to her for like 18 years.
fuggin Beetus.... ruining lives.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I've become farsighted (used to get the two backwards until very recently) in the last ten years.
It's getting worse daily.
I just use readers from the dollar store.
I've tried $60-300 glasses from the in and out and the designers stores and found they didn't work any better.
You can spend a few grand on some name brand gucci/prada glasses, who knew?
It's not worth it to me to run around with glasses on to use the little portion on the bottom once a day if even that.
I had some cheap safety glasses that had a little lens on the bottom and those were kinda cool though.

@M

20 Year Member
My bifocals just came in the mail (I asked them to do that, and paid an extra shipping fee to do so, cuz' I didn't want to have to travel out of my way to physically pick them up). They work okay, but, learning to shift between looking through the bottom/top of the lens is definitely going to take some getting used to. I imagine it'll become second nature after a while. It's weird when things go from sharp to blurry when your eyes wander over the line.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
No judgement here but I think it's funny that all of us are getting to be men of a certain age needing eye correction. I can't wait till we're all eligible for senior discounts.

I've been putting off my latest eye exam, but the last time my doc told me that I'm on edge of needing bifocals and would probably need it the next visit. The last time my glasses was 500+ not looking forward to the next pair.

@M

20 Year Member
I one prophesied that there will one day be a NG.com thread about adult diaper recommendations too, as we all get older and incontinence sets in. 😁

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
No judgement here but I think it's funny that all of us are getting to be men of a certain age needing eye correction. I can't wait till we're all eligible for senior discounts.

I've been putting off my latest eye exam, but the last time my doc told me that I'm on edge of needing bifocals and would probably need it the next visit. The last time my glasses was 500+ not looking forward to the next pair.
Add me to the list - last eye exam I was upgraded from 'for reading' to 'for seeing'. Or is that downgraded.

I've been too vain to wear them outside the house yet, though.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Get it online on Zenni , lot cheaper then local shops
Woah, that's Capcoms currency in it's video-games.