Best lever for shmups?

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Got myself a nice selection of HRAP4 Kai & HRAP V sticks for my PS4, but they come with the Hori Hayabusa kit. I've put a JLF & OBSF buttons in two of them, but fancy kitting one out exclusive ly for shmups. I've seen people recommend Seimitsu LS sticks, but which one is the optimal one?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't really have to think too hard here, the main thing you need for a shooter is quick activation and maybe a good amount of stiffness, if that's your thing. The Hayabusa your sticks came with are pretty great for shooters if you throw an oversized actuator on it and maybe a slightly stiffer spring. That's probably the path of least resistance. Mine has the oversized actuator, but I left the spring stock. I'd do this first and then look at how to fit a Seimitsu stick in if it's not good enough.

Buttons is really where it matters in shooters to me. Seimitsu is top tier, Haybusas are pretty good and Sanwa is in last place since it doesn't have enough spring back for rapid button presses for me.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
You don't really have to think too hard here, the main thing you need for a shooter is quick activation and maybe a good amount of stiffness, if that's your thing. The Hayabusa your sticks came with are pretty great for shooters if you throw an oversized actuator on it and maybe a slightly stiffer spring. That's probably the path of least resistance. Mine has the oversized actuator, but I left the spring stock. I'd do this first and then look at how to fit a Seimitsu stick in if it's not good enough.

Buttons is really where it matters in shooters to me. Seimitsu is top tier, Haybusas are pretty good and Sanwa is in last place since it doesn't have enough spring back for rapid button presses for me.

So I think the Hayabusa comes with a 0.9lb spring if I'm correct. In that case do you think a 2lb spring to try first? What actuator would you recommend?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Kowal oversized actuator for the JLF fits the Hayabusa perfectly. As far as springs, I like the stock spring myself, but order several and swap them out to see what you like best. A lot of people prefer stiffer springs, but Old Man Arthur surely does not.

My Hrap 4 Kai has an octo gate, oversized actuator, bat top, and that's it. It's near perfect as a general purpose stick in my opinion. I don't care about octo gates for shooters though, that's more of a fighter thing.

I do have an old Xbox 360 stick with a Seimitsu LS32, and I've rebuilt some Neo sticks recently using LS56 parts. Specifically for shooters I may like them better, but the Hayabusa is a great stick on its own and you can put it in the same class for about $10 in parts. If I had an empty case and my choice of any stick to use I'd go with Pretty Amy's suggestion.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've got one cab with Sanwa JLFs and another with Seimitsu LS-32 and honestly I couldn't tell you the difference between the two. Unless you're god tier, they are all decent sticks that would serve you well.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You probably need to replace the spring on the Seimitsu if you can't tell the difference. I would sign that they are all decent sticks. Peeps replace decent parts with other decent parts but should probably put some time into playing and figuring out what they prefer. It's all personal preference.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm no expert, but I use the following for shmups per recommendation from other people and I'm perfectly happy with it:
  • Seimitsu LS-56
  • Octo gate
  • KOWAL LS.ST Short Throw Mod
This is a solid set up.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just use an ls32 bog standard
Fucking stick artisans

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
LS-40 has become my favorite all around stick and I used to swear by LS-32.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You probably need to replace the spring on the Seimitsu if you can't tell the difference. I would sign that they are all decent sticks. Peeps replace decent parts with other decent parts but should probably put some time into playing and figuring out what they prefer. It's all personal preference.

Yeah, there really isn't much difference between the usual suspects, they're all just a lever, pivot, switches and springs. Once you know what you like you can take most of the sticks and customize it to your specific tastes.

And none of it is going to make you any better at the game.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I'm actually happy that I have different combinations. Prefer Hayabusa stick & buttons nowadays but I won't replace all Seimitsu or Sanwa parts on the other sticks. But I need an arcade stick for shmups & fighting games no matter which good brand or variation of them.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Anyone ever try one of those Seimitsu bullet levers for shmups? I'm intrigued, but not enough to commit $60+.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I had Sanwa JLF's in the vewlix but stock they're just so loose. Got Seimitsu LS32's going at the moment with regular square gate, can't play fighters for shit on it though but that ain't saying much.
I did get a set of LS-56's but they felt shit.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
LS-32. Most arcade shumps are a pain to 1CC/ high score anyway, even if using a joystick that suits them.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I stick with Sanwa just because from what I can tell Seimitsus are a pain to mount in a lot of cabs. Take this thread for example. If any Seimitsu users are running cabs (especially Vewlix), how?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I stick with Sanwa just because from what I can tell Seimitsus are a pain to mount in a lot of cabs. Take this thread for example. If any Seimitsu users are running cabs (especially Vewlix), how?
PXL_20221216_153218490.jpg
I have a repro panel which has a welded bracket allowing you to mount a Sanwa (with all 4 nuts) or a Seimitsu (only two screws)

The OG panels only like Sanwa but you can manage with one of those multi mount brackets.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
LS-32-01 is way too stiff for shooting games. The original LS-32 is pretty decent though. LS-62 and LS-56 are my favorites.

Dead zone on Sanwa sticks is off-putting to me, and I'll take any Seimitsu over them, but they're fine.