Ghosting in Frontloader NGCD RGB Image

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Does anyone know if recapping the video circuits will fix this? I just got this frontloader, and there is ghosting in the image (you can see it to the right of objects in the solid colors). Tested the toploader with the same scart cable and capture device, and it doesn't have the issue. The same issue also exhibits on the S-video output.

IOHD0149.MP4_snapshot_00.14.797.jpgIOHD0149.MP4_snapshot_00.38.870.jpg

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
good chance it will improve things if you swap the caps, but only one way to know for sure ;)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
good chance it will improve things if you swap the caps, but only one way to know for sure ;)
Unfortunately, it's not an option at the moment. The system is with my brother in Japan. It's in great cosmetic condition, and comes with the box and matching serials, but the box has some water damage on one corner and a musty smell.

It was cheap compared to US prices, but I just assume not pay all the money to have it shipped to the US if it's not working right. I'm bad at recapping, and I don't have the time to deal with any extra projects.

So that's why I'm asking if it's fixable now. If it's not an easy fix, I'll just get rid of it instead of shipping it here.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
There is around 40 electrolytic caps in the frontloader according to console5, so thats some effort.

Systems this age should have their caps replaced IMO, they might not leak (only had a single AES with leaked caps probably due to overvoltage), but dry caps can easily make the pic bad as you described.

However, IMO no way of knowing if w re-cap will fix it before hand.

If its cheap you might be able to sell it on in the US.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I really appreciate the reply, maki. I suppose this system doesn't need to be perfect anyway. (I will most likely be using the toploader for video capture and casual play sessions.) This frontloader is admittedly probably going to spend a lot of time on the shelf and make appearances in Youtube videos.

Yeah, it was pretty cheap, so selling it in the US is always an option. Although I wouldn't want to sell it without mentioning the video imperfections, so I'd probably end up losing money.

I might start by recapping the circuits near the video encoder and outputs at least.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
TBH I really think the ghosting you describe is related to the caps, but I don't know for sure.
Also, I don not see the ghosting in your pics

Just be aware, the chip set used in the NeoGeoCD (and some MVS) has a funky thing about its CSYNC, causing issues with OSSC etc.:

I do not have experience with NeoGeoCDs yet, there is a front loader and a top loader on its way to me from Japan (made myself some christmas gifts :) ) , I might share some actual experience with these then :)

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Not necessarily related but I had a similar problem with a Japanese Dreamcast. Replaced the PSU with a Pico PSU and it's fine now. Just keep in mind it could be the PSU as well.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Zoom in on the image. You'll see the black marks to the right of objects on solid colors. It looks much worse in person than in these still shots. It's bad enough that the image is not suitable for capturing for my small Youtube channel.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Very strange, my money would be on a capacitor going bad or grounding issues.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
My Front Loader has the exact same issue! Did you ever find a fix for that!?
Nope. I didn't attempt any fix. I'd be curious if anyone had any luck with this, but I have no plans to work on mine.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Ill be recapping my system and will see if I can find good news in that regard.
I'm loathe to recap with my skill level, so I'll be curious to hear how it works out. Please share. Maybe recap the video section first and test if possible.