Real ID Delay

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

I'm starting to think my Youtube Neo Geo series will be finished before real ID's are enforced. I got one some time ago.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
They’ve been threatening us in PA for years now lol, I’ve seen signs driving home before telling us we need to get them glad it’s been delayed so they continually waste money promoting it.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Who honestly doesn't have a Real ID compliant card? I'm not talking about the enhanced ID cards with the RFID chip, but just a normal ID with the Gold Star in the corner. I figured that most states required that you get it when you renewed your drivers license.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Who honestly doesn't have a Real ID compliant card? I'm not talking about the enhanced ID cards with the RFID chip, but just a normal ID with the Gold Star in the corner. I figured that most states required that you get it when you renewed your drivers license.
People in states that make it difficult to get one when renewing.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I think they are stupid.
When my mother had to renew her license they gave her a tremendous amount of hassle, it took months to get it all square.
I walked in told them I need a new one and they gave me one no questions asked.
I kinda feel like it depends on the teller at the counter and how much of a shit they give.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What is this exactly? A federally overseen and certified ID as opposed to the state?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What is this exactly? A federally overseen and certified ID as opposed to the state?

Not quite, it’s basically your regular ID from whatever state you live in but with an additional federal seal of approval.

You basically have to provide more documents when getting a “real ID” to establish you are who you say you are.

When the real ID requirements do finally go through you will need a real ID to fly domestically within the United States (you can use your passport as well.)

It’s ultimately a colossal waste of money, time, and resources that will do nothing except make flying more miserable then it has become over the last 20 years.

But that’s security theater for ya.

Oh I guess it will prevent the poors from flying since they might not have the times/means/money to access the documents needed to verify your identity.

Fuck the real ID.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Real IDs are based and Welcome to the Future-pilled.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The Future to LoneSage

105910971-1557804260825gettyimages-1124858078.jpeg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Will America be safer when her subjects have a real ID?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It’s ultimately a colossal waste of money, time, and resources that will do nothing except make flying more miserable then it has become over the last 20 years.
Everyone complains about the rules when flying. But practically every single rule is because some idiot did something stupid at one point and crashed a plane. I prefer to keep the rules and play it safe when I'm flying, thank you.

lithy

20 Year Member
Will America be safer when her subjects have a real ID?

Look at the lack of terrorist attacks since 2005 just at the prospect of implementing Real ID. We got 'em on their heels. Now we implement and achieve eternal safety!

Everyone complains about the rules when flying. But practically every single rule is because some idiot did something stupid at one point and crashed a plane. I prefer to keep the rules and play it safe when I'm flying, thank you.

Then don't fly. Certainly don't drive to the airport. You can never be too safe, after all.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I’m not sure how this makes us safer specifically when it comes to being a passenger on a commercial airline in the US which seems like is the only reason for the real ID?

This is definitely the tail-end of the immediate post 9/11 security concerns.

What’s the point of the ID? To prevent counterfeits? Was that a problem? It’s not like there is an associated background check with the ID.

lithy

20 Year Member
We all know the next attack will be on critical infrastructure or maybe softer targets anyway. But god dammit, I still want to take my shoes off at the airport.

The last US total loss commercial plane crash was in 2009, a turboprop with 50+ on board. The last major disaster, legacy carrier, large jetliner total loss, 200+ dead was in 2001 a month or so after 9/11.

Airport security is chasing ghosts.

lithy

20 Year Member
Can't find any recent stats on how many guns TSA is missing at checkpoints, newest is from 2017. Only recent articles are puff pieces on how many total guns they caught. Guess they stopped wanting those numbers out there or maybe since the auditors would be bureaucrats they probably took a 2 year taxpayer funded vacation starting in March 2020.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did they change the rules so you no longer need to show your boarding pass to get through security? Just need an ID?

Went on a trip last month, and it had been eight years since the last time I flew but I thought you used to need to show your boarding pass to get through security?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I carry my passport while travelling just in case I miss this deadline, but at this point I will probably just wait until my ID expires and I get a new one.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Then don't fly. Certainly don't drive to the airport. You can never be too safe, after all.
Driving certainly is dangerous. I don't trust people on the road. Just because I have to take certain risks doesn't mean flying should be dangerous too.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Flying could be super safe right now if they just allowed open carry. All these draconian safety measures, security procedures, and restrictions do is make sure only the terrorist passengers are armed.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Enjoy flying the friendly skies, everyone.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Driving certainly is dangerous. I don't trust people on the road. Just because I have to take certain risks doesn't mean flying should be dangerous too.

Most people who die in car accidents caused the accident themselves or at least knew the person who did. Most people flying have zero control over the habits of the pilots. Most people driving don’t have the option of killing 300 people with a single crash. This is an apples to oranges comparison.

There are safe drivers and there are dangerous drivers. Some roads are more dangerous than others. Some cars are safer than others…but if you are on a plane you are just another passenger and you have no option to influence anything.