Neo Geo CD- power adapter?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So, what do people here use as a power adapter for the Neo Geo CD?
The console costs a lot more, if you buy it with the original power brick.
Also, the original adapter has a special connector, so I'd imagine you can't use a third party brick.

metouto

n00b
So, new firmware for the Neo SD Loader. So I thought I'd revisit my modified Neo Geo CD front loader. Only to find it won't power on... checked the power supply, it seems fine. Tried to reseat things, but still nothing. I hear a pop from the audio when I press the power button (not a bad pop, just a "contact made" sort of pop) but no video or LED. Not sure where to start, I dont see a fuse anywhere and am not sure where I can test voltages to see where the failure is. Any help is appreciated.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I bought a replacement CD power supply from ebay which fitted my CDZ.

I use these guys for my AES https://en.retrogamesupply.com/

Nice ready to use UK plugs for retro consoles with stepdown transformers built in for 220v to 110v consoles.

Thanks to Brexit I now have to buy their stuff from ebay as it helps them auto calculate the tax.

They apparently had a Neo Geo CD power adapter in development, but there’s been no news on it since 2019.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hm, I have one of the replacement PSUs from Stoneage Gamer and it works very well. Been using it since a year now. Never knew there's a consensus about what PSU to use on the machine.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
There are some devices which has the same unobtanium plug and I always recommend having the original PSU if possible, not because the newer ones lack in quality but because of how expensive they tend to be.

metouto

n00b
I bought a replacement CD power supply from ebay which fitted my CDZ.

I use these guys for my AES https://en.retrogamesupply.com

Nice ready to use UK plugs for retro consoles with stepdown transformers built in for 220v to 110v consoles.

Thanks to Brexit I now have to buy their stuff from ebay as it helps them auto calculate the tax.

They apparently had a Neo Geo CD power adapter in development, but there’s been no news on it since 2019.
thank you so much for your suggestion

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
So, new firmware for the Neo SD Loader. So I thought I'd revisit my modified Neo Geo CD front loader. Only to find it won't power on... checked the power supply, it seems fine. Tried to reseat things, but still nothing. I hear a pop from the audio when I press the power button (not a bad pop, just a "contact made" sort of pop) but no video or LED. Not sure where to start, I dont see a fuse anywhere and am not sure where I can test voltages to see where the failure is. Any help is appreciated.
Which new firmware? Looks like June 2022 0.10 is the latest on furrtek's site

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Yes, because, strictly speaking, the console is fucking useless without the psu.

You fucking goon.

Well, what I really meant was, it's more than it would cost if it came with a third-party PSU, instead of an original SNK one.
You are paying a premium for the fact that it's the original PSU, as well the extra cost for it being included with console.

And as good as they are, an original SNK PSU will not last forever, so eventually people might have to use third party ones anyway.

metouto

n00b
Well, what I really meant was, it's more than it would cost if it came with a third-party PSU, instead of an original SNK one.
You are paying a premium for the fact that it's the original PSU, as well the extra cost for it being included with console.

And as good as they are, an original SNK PSU will not last forever, so eventually people might have to use third party ones anyway.
also thank you for your suggestion