Samurai Shodown V Perfect/Final Edition extracted data

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Whaaaa? Curious of your reasoning here. 🤔

To be fair, I'm not a Super Turbo fan-boi, with Hyper Fighting being my favorite SF2 variant. Still, as a Guile/Vega main in just about all SF games, I've never found Guile to be useless in ST (except for his roundhouse Flash Kick). Guile has been a solid mid to high-mid tier character in all SF2 series games from Vanilla to Hyper. Everyone has their own experience, but this is kind of a surprise as this isn't my experience at all.
Well, maybe it's an exaggeration to say he's useless in SSF2T.

It's not just my own opinion. Here's a link that describes how Guile was nerfed from SSF2 to SSF2T. Of course, Guile in SSF2 was the strongest he had been since World Warrior. Guile was arguably the strongest fighter in every SF2 game from WW to SSF2, if the person controlling him knew what they were doing.

https://wiki.supercombo.gg/w/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo/Guile

Not to mention I'd absolutely destroy you with him in any SF2 made x
It's easy to talk tough like that on an online forum, without having to prove it.

Last edited:

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
"What happened there is Samurai Shodown 5 was an unexpected hit," says Brandon. "In America, it did really well. And so because it did really well, SNK wanted to capitalise on this real quick and they made Samurai Shodown 5 Special within eight months - which was too quick, and it didn't sell as a result. So they had all these extra cartridges laying around, and they all got shipped back to Japan.

"Meanwhile SNK USA requests a third version hoping that maybe that'll do better. But they don't ask SNK in Japan - SNK USA request this of Yuki Enterprise, who just go for it.

So according to SS Collection interviews, V did well.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Well, maybe it's an exaggeration to say he's useless in SSF2T.

It's not just my own opinion. Here's a link that describes how Guile was nerfed from SSF2 to SSF2T. Of course, Guile in SSF2 was the strongest he had been since World Warrior. Guile was arguably the strongest fighter in every SF2 game from WW to SSF2, if the person controlling him knew what they were doing. The only possible caveat to that was Zangief, who was also one of the strongest (especially in WW), if controlled by an expert.

https://wiki.supercombo.gg/w/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo/Guile

It's easy to talk tough like that on an online forum, without having to prove it.

It’s easy for someone to talk like that when they’ve read what you wrote. They’ll assume you don’t know that much about the game. It sounds like you had one trick with Guile and it stopped working at Super Turbo. They’ll maybe also assume you pronounce the character’s name “Gweeley”.

Guile absolutely doesn’t suck in any SFII from my expertise. I have been both crusher and crushee with Guile. He’s great, but he requires focus. Poking around Google looking for tier ranking over the years I can’t find anyone ranking him below mid level.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It’s easy for someone to talk like that when they’ve read what you wrote. They’ll assume you don’t know that much about the game. It sounds like you had one trick with Guile and it stopped working at Super Turbo. They’ll maybe also assume you pronounce the character’s name “Gweeley”.

Guile absolutely doesn’t suck in any SFII from my expertise. I have been both crusher and crushee with Guile. He’s great, but he requires focus. Poking around Google looking for tier ranking over the years I can’t find anyone ranking him below mid level.
It's almost like people have read stuff and not played guile for 30+ years

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
At the same time, it's totally fair to criticize the SS5 games (5, 5S, 5P) for not looking or sounding as good as 90's SNK titles. I mean, what games from the Playmore era can actually match that kind of audio/visual quality? None.
If we're talking Neo-Geo era, KOF 2003 came the closest. Had some really fantastic tracks, and the stages and sprites were great. Not quite up there with peak late 90s.

Post Neo-Geo I'd say Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum and KOF 11 were up there, and KOF 13 was a flat out masterpiece across the board IMO.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
XI is the the jawn, tho. Most fun super- cancels, and Eiji is back.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Guile is far from useless but he did fall from grace from being arguably god tier in WW and top three in CE/HF. A solid mid tier in Super/Super Turbo.

They really did nerf dragon punches though. From being fully invincible to the apex to having iirc 4 frames inv at startup. I can see why they nerfed them since that shit is ridiculous and can be used as poke lol. Then throw option select safe jump buffered DPs into the mix making most reversals fail or trade at best.

Also low key Tony Hawk has the potential to be best character in Super imo. One knockdown spells disaster for anyone not named Ken/Ryu most of the time due to this trick. Tl;dr after a knockdown you jump press light punch for jumping light punch, buffer dragon punch before you land and if you timeyour jump within 4 frames of opponents wakeup almost every reversal will fail. Only things that will generally beat it are frame 1/2 reversal moves (like Kens HP Shoryuken, and some supers. So if the person blocks the light jab hits them putting them into block stun, you buffer a 360 + draogn punch on ground (in case they reversal on the ground). If they don't reversal light punch comes out hits them spin to win + DP. If the light punches doesn't hit or isn't block draogn punch comes out. Repeat until dead.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Dragon punches nerfed, yes, but not as much as the common throw...so why mention it?

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
On Fightcade, SamSho 5 Special is second most popular in the series (after 2).
The "Perfect" rom is available... But was played for about two hours since September, essentially by the same pair of Koreans...
Despite the claims about balance improvement in competitive play, I think it will simply never be considered legit in that sphere either.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
On Fightcade, SamSho 5 Special is second most popular in the series (after 2).
The "Perfect" rom is available... But was played for about two hours since September, essentially by the same pair of Koreans...
Despite the claims about balance improvement in competitive play, I think it will simply never be considered legit in that sphere either.

I was half expecting Perfect to overtake Special in competitive popularity in 2020, but seems that after the whoolpa died down around the rom being found/released both in the collection and stand alone, the larger community just kinda forgot about it. 🤷‍♂️

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was half expecting Perfect to overtake Special in competitive popularity in 2020, but seems that after the whoolpa died down around the rom being found/released both in the collection and stand alone, the larger community just kinda forgot about it. 🤷‍♂️
Is it even different enough to justify switching? It's virtually the same.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Guile is far from useless but he did fall from grace from being arguably god tier in WW and top three in CE/HF. A solid mid tier in Super/Super Turbo.

They really did nerf dragon punches though. From being fully invincible to the apex to having iirc 4 frames inv at startup. I can see why they nerfed them since that shit is ridiculous and can be used as poke lol. Then throw option select safe jump buffered DPs into the mix making most reversals fail or trade at best.

Also low key Tony Hawk has the potential to be best character in Super imo. One knockdown spells disaster for anyone not named Ken/Ryu most of the time due to this trick. Tl;dr after a knockdown you jump press light punch for jumping light punch, buffer dragon punch before you land and if you timeyour jump within 4 frames of opponents wakeup almost every reversal will fail. Only things that will generally beat it are frame 1/2 reversal moves (like Kens HP Shoryuken, and some supers. So if the person blocks the light jab hits them putting them into block stun, you buffer a 360 + draogn punch on ground (in case they reversal on the ground). If they don't reversal light punch comes out hits them spin to win + DP. If the light punches doesn't hit or isn't block draogn punch comes out. Repeat until dead.
Is his first name really Tony? Like the skateboarder?