Realbout Fatal Fury Special, Windjammers + other neo to sega genesis ports

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Looks great! I wonder what the megabit count is?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
VG Decide on YouTube has a bunch of videos with this running side by side with the original. There's also a new MD version of Fatal Fury 1 that is also quite impressive.

This modern MD "demake" scene is pretty cool. There's the SOTN port which is also shaping up rather impressively, and the fan-made sequel to Mega Man Wily Wars called the Sequel Wars that covers MM 4-6 (made from the ground up and does not use any assets or code from Wily Wars).

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
"the best 2D fighter on the genesis by a very high margin"
Of course it's also implied that devs back in the day didn't have the tools or nearly as much memory at their disposal. So apples and oranges.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's pretty impressive.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Yeah, the MD home dev/demake scene is very active, it's nice to see the system still getting so much love.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Honestly, it truly looks pretty damn impressive, I wasn't expecting it to be so playable already.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
It's not only impressive, it also looks like they're actually going to complete it!
A lot of cool looking demos generate a lot of "wows" and never make it to complete games, because they were just meant to be just that (demos), or because the project's planning was screwed, or because the people behind them are on so many projects that they eventually finish very few of them.

That is probably one of the most promising MD homebrews imo.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
It's not only impressive, it also looks like they're actually going to complete it!
A lot of cool looking demos generate a lot of "wows" and never make it to complete games, because they were just meant to be just that (demos), or because the project's planning was screwed, or because the people behind them are on so many projects that they eventually finish very few of them.

That is probably one of the most promising MD homebrews imo.
Pretty much this.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Looks like Wind jammers is getting the Sega Genesis demake treatment too. Will we get the whole neo library on Genesis one day? Updated the title of the thread as there seem to be several neo to Genesis ports going on lately, including metal slug that had a separate topic here.

Port homepage

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im wondering what the point of these are? Thats seriously cool that someone is doing this, but Im just wondering why. Is it because the Neo and Genny used the same CPU, so they are trying to see what they can pull out of the Genny?

Man if WindJammers comes to the Genny that would be so rad.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm a huge fan of the Garou/Fatal Fury games and the Real Bouts and mostly played them on Neo. However, if you have ever played Fatal Fury 2 on MD, you will know that it has a certain something typical Mega Drive-ish about it which makes it big fun to play even though there are some missing parts/less anim frames and whatnot. It not only is a very good port of the Neo original but also an excellent Genny game on its own that is fun to play even today so I can easily see why they're coming up with a RBS port, the MD is just the right platform for it.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Im wondering what the point of these are? Thats seriously cool that someone is doing this, but Im just wondering why. Is it because the Neo and Genny used the same CPU, so they are trying to see what they can pull out of the Genny?

I know the guy who's doing the port, he is a regular poster on NGS (Teh F23nCh Fo2u|\/|) and we chat every now and then. He's quite dedicated, I'm confident he's going to complete it.
You can read more and follow his progress here

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Looks great! I wonder what the megabit count is?

I downloaded the rom and the unzipped bin file is 4MB. For comparison, 90s version of Super Street Fighter II for genesis, which used a special bankswitching cart is 5MB. A couple other late era 90s games on genesis are 4MB roms, such as Mortal Kombat 3, Virtua Fighter 2, Toy Story. It's on the large side for genesis games, but wouldn't have been totally impossible in the late years of the genesis in the 1990s to commercially release a rom this size.

Reactions: @M

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Seems the line sway isn't in there yet.
Interested to see if these get any physical release.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I'm sure they will. I haven't checked in on this in awhile, but Chinese sellers and the cottage industry of US-based etsy and ebay sellers of "reproductions" have long been in on making physical copies of unnofficial and indie genesis games that get released in rom format, like the port of Cave Story for instance. And if this rom is simply a conventional genesis rom that doesn't require bankswitching or anything out of the ordinary, then it ought to work straight away with the various modern genesis cartridge pcbs people use to make physical carts these days.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm sure they will. I haven't checked in on this in awhile, but Chinese sellers and the cottage industry of US-based etsy and ebay sellers of "reproductions" have long been in on making physical copies of unnofficial and indie genesis games that get released in rom format, like the port of Cave Story for instance. And if this rom is simply a conventional genesis rom that doesn't require bankswitching or anything out of the ordinary, then it ought to work straight away with the various modern genesis cartridge pcbs people use to make physical carts these days.
The physical release of Demons of Asteborg by Neofid Studios clocks in at 14 MB/117 MBit and runs on standard Genesis/MD hardware so there should be a way for the RBS dev'ers to get enough ROM space for their game.

Man, imagine what companies like Capcom or Konami could have done with that Meg count back in the day...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Yeah, I wonder the same thing. It seems like it must be a mix of doing it as a learning exercise and out of love for the hardware. The attention and appreciation from fans doesn't hurt either.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm also looking forward to the Sunset Riders project, they're gonna port the game to MD again, this time it's going to be an arcade-perfect port unlike the old version which is fun and very playable but nowhere near the real thing. Been a while since I've last heard of it, hope they're still at it.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
There's also a final fight port which looks really good in videos, probably better than the Sega CD version, minus the sega CD music that was pretty good. I think 3 player simultaneous play has also been demonstrated in that port so that's a cool perk.

I was also surprised to see a port of Cadillacs and dinosaurs is well underway. This one didn't seem as polished as the other ports we've been talking about in this thread, and a lot of stuff seemed to be cut or scaled down akin to 90s arcade to Genesis ports like Growl. Still cool to see it in action, and hopefully it's still a WIP and it can be further enhanced.