Cancellation on MD/GEN: A VISUAL COMPENDIUM by Bitmap Books

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Sad news for those SEGA lovers. Curious as to why SEGA is enforcing its IP Rights more thoroughly than even Nintendo is nowadays, and why they decided to pull the plug on this one but not on the Master System book.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I wonder what is the sticking point. Surely pictures of and writing about mega drive consoles and games are not infringing on ip. Did they have access to some sort of prototype designs or games that were never publicly released and that was going to be significant content in the book? Was it going to discuss mega drive copy protection in detail or come with a rom CD? Otherwise seems fairly easy to remove any official Sega logos from the book and call it a day.

Wasn't there some kind of Dreamcast book in the last few years where sega even kindly helped out and sent info about a Dreamcast prototype? Seems weird they would object to this book in a way that the author can't work around.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

Sad news for those SEGA lovers. Curious as to why SEGA is enforcing its IP Rights more thoroughly than even Nintendo is nowadays, and why they decided to pull the plug on this one but not on the Master System book.
Sega lovers are used to sad news

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I wonder what is the sticking point. Surely pictures of and writing about mega drive consoles and games are not infringing on ip. Did they have access to some sort of prototype designs or games that were never publicly released and that was going to be significant content in the book? Was it going to discuss mega drive copy protection in detail or come with a rom CD? Otherwise seems fairly easy to remove any official Sega logos from the book and call it a day.

Wasn't there some kind of Dreamcast book in the last few years where sega even kindly helped out and sent info about a Dreamcast prototype? Seems weird they would object to this book in a way that the author can't work around.
A book about Sega and the Mega Drive wouldn't be complete without official logos and other trademarks, I would even go as far as saying that it's impossible to compile a book like that without showing them in one way or another, at least if you're going to release a "visual compendium".

Maybe it's because Sega have a current MD-related product out, the MD Mini 2, and/or are planning to come up with a book or similar companion release in the near future.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
That would be my guess as well - Sega must be working on a MD/Genesis book of their own. If not a book then some sort of project (I’m thinking like the recent Atari 50 release.)

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I mean, I get it to a degree. Sad for sure, as I like the presentation in their books (even if their writing could be better). Without official licensing, a lot can be left out in a historical / visual overview in bound format. SNK licensed their works to Bitmap for those volumes which I think helped them gain traction so quickly.

Kurt Kalata over at Hardcore Gaming 101 has their "unofficial" works series. And while these books are full of great information and series overviews, it is a missed opportunity to not have official art and information directly from the publisher / developer to tell a richer story with more historical context.

Then again, you have to worry about how brands and information are presented if you work with a license holder. The writer has less creative flexibility with a license holder involved.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cancel culture is really getting out of hand. Why, Sega, why?!

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm sure we can live without it
sonic-the-hedgehog-tails-knuckles-no-way-hsa2jxjmty7r77k0.gif

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
That would be my guess as well - Sega must be working on a MD/Genesis book of their own. If not a book then some sort of project (I’m thinking like the recent Atari 50 release.)

It’s probably just lawyers being knuckleheads.

They already allowed them to release the Master System book.

To reject the Megadrive edition makes no sense.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm sure the publisher wasn't stupid enough to plan and promote a book without getting the rights and licensing taken care of. What probably happened is that a bigger publisher with a bigger budget and wider distribution came along with a deal that would make more money for Sega.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

It seems to me that Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World and maybe Alex Kidd in Miracle World are the only Master System games Sega still care for but neither for the rest of the library, nor the system itself. Judging from the comments on YT or other places, there were a number of petitions for a Master System Mini which didn't even get a reaction from Sega. That would also explain why they did not care about a Master System book.

The Mega Drive on the other hand has regained lots of popularity in recent years and is making Sega money again so maybe they are being protective here, which is understandable to some extend.

So far, Sega were wise enough not to crack down on the home dev/ports market niche, let's hope it stays that way, would be disastrous for the scene and all us fans.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate

It's funny because I'm actually an IPR lawyer XD

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Oh, didn't even check the subforum... gonna move it to Unrelated, will leave a link behind.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
In all seriousness... I'm sure it would have been a good book, going on Bitmap's record, but there is Read Only Memory's Genesis / MD compendium from a few years back. As someone with a softspot for Sega's 16-Bit console I picked up a copy, and it's really good. Well written, lots of images and photos, and some interesting interviews.

I don't know if it's still available to buy, but I'd highly recommend it to fans of the console or those who wanted this, but obviously aren't going to get it now.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Just googled it, Amazon lists a new edition of the book for September 2023, can this be true or am I seeing things? The book they mention has been originally published by Read Only Memory and is called Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Ultimate Works.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hmmm... my edition is titled: Sega Mega Drive / Genesis: Collected Works and is from 2017. It also claims to be licenced by Sega...

Anyway, well worth a read for any MD fan :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This screams: we didn't budget for trademark use, and now we want to pout about it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

"Personally I have regrets with this project," Dyer added, "as I should have put the brakes on a while back. Instead I pressed on with the belief that it would be OK because of the various efforts made to state that the book is 'unofficial' and the skew towards third-party games. I was also buoyed by the number of Sega fan related projects that were out there that are not challenged legally. In hindsight, this was a mistake, and I should have shelved the project."

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hmmm... my edition is titled: Sega Mega Drive / Genesis: Collected Works and is from 2017. It also claims to be licenced by Sega...

Anyway, well worth a read for any MD fan :)
Hah, you know what.... maybe this new release is the reason why Bitmap's book won't come out? I mean, if it's officially licensed...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hah, you know what.... maybe this new release is the reason why Bitmap's book won't come out? I mean, if it's officially licensed...
Yes, the thought did cross my mind while I was thumbing through the small print.

Still, on the plus side, if Read Only Memory's book is still in circulation you can go out and scratch that itch for a well complied Sega MD / Gen book now, rather than wait around for something that sounds like it ain't gonna happen!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

"Personally I have regrets with this project," Dyer added, "as I should have put the brakes on a while back. Instead I pressed on with the belief that it would be OK because of the various efforts made to state that the book is 'unofficial' and the skew towards third-party games. I was also buoyed by the number of Sega fan related projects that were out there that are not challenged legally. In hindsight, this was a mistake, and I should have shelved the project."
This screams: we didn't budget for trademark use, and now we want to pout about it.
So there we have it. Naive at best, downright stupid at worst.

IMO this casts a light on the changes that took place in classic gaming during the past decade. 10 years ago, only a bunch of freaks still cared for the old 8/16bit systems and games, now the audience has broadened quite a bit and also includes people who weren't even born when the old machines were new. This creates whole 'nother dynamics, both in terms of interest in an old topic and commercially. Just look at what happened in all that time, a completely new market has evolved which provides brand new hardware and software to fans of old systems. For instance, you can buy new controllers, cables, electronics parts (even those which were unvailable before like certain custom chips) for a wide range of old systems now, as well as SD carts and other solutions to play the games on the original hardware in a cost-effective way. Of course this has brought some of the original IP owners back on track who in turn want to profit from all that cool new shit that goes on...

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think we can point some of the blame at the SNES mini and Megadrive Mini(s) for bringing back interest to these platforms in a easy to plug into your modern HDMI tv way.

Most consumers couldn’t be arsed to keep an old CRT about or go through the ballache of converting an old analog signal into digital.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well, the thing is that the SNES book by Bitmap became a reality even though the SNES mini was selling, and we all know how Nintendo is related to its IPR. Maybe they saw it as an oportunity to market the mini even better but SEGA thinks otherwise.