I like to play the first World Heroes

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I think Scary Larry was paid off by SNK for this review. 5/5? Wow.
If memory serves, GamePro tended to score games higher than other mags in general.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The first two WH games were fucking awesome. They were janky and kinda bad (especially 1) but also pretty unique and fun. As the series progressed the later games became much better fighting games, but somehow also became less interesting, and instead of ever wanting to play WH2 Jet or something I'd just put in Real Bout Special or something if I wanted a "good" fighting game.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
When I bought another AES for the sole purpose of getting some of my favorites as CIB to enjoy in their nice packaging, I specifically wanted World Heroes 2, what a great game.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
You're right, but like other people in this thread, I still occasionally play and always enjoy a little World Heroes 2. But at this point, I never go back to any Street Fighter older than Super Turbo. If it's a choice today between playing WH2 or Championship Edition/regular Turbo, it's not even close.
SF2 WW is still my favorite of the SF2s just because of how slow, unbalanced, and janky it is.

Reactions: wyo

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I just played through World Heroes 2.

Nah. First game is better. Death Match in 2 is a better game than the main game.

Don't like not having random matches, it's always Captain Kidd as the first and then the rest of the five new characters. And fuck Mudman.

What's up with Dragon being in South Korea? He was established as Chinese in the first game, did they really change his nationality? (edit: looking back at the character select screen, he has a South Korea flag instead of the Chinese flag from the first game.) And now his name is K. Dragon, so what is his name Kim now? Oh, SNK wiki says he's half-Chinese, half-Korean and his name is indeed Kim Dragon. His stage is in Korea because he was filming a movie there. Thank mao for that SNK wiki.

The backgrounds and music in 2 are not as good as 1's. The sound effects as well, for that matter. The standout stage is Brocken's where a tank busts through a wall. Janne's stage has a nice touch where, if she wins, her flag comes out of a cannon. Who thought taking away the throw button was a good idea? I don't think I like the struggle session when both players are seeing who gets to throw - I think maybe that came about as a complaint of too much throwing in the first game, maybe.
Again, Death Match is better than the main game.

Anyways, this is from World Heroes Perfect, I think. Enjoy it, @neo_moe.
heytherelilhomie.gif

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Call me crazy but the background for one of the WH2 Death Match stages was a slightly edited version of the credits background from Ninja Combat:

b70ae08236e3c440a9de18eb691be31359de09584e4cff28d3c140246717aa32.0.PNG

9255bf2cf505a8d86add2967aa4f4020cac45f76808f9ce64ed68200782dcfbd.0.PNG

Keep in mind the dimensions in those two screenshots are different, which would explain why they're not the same, before anyone ACKSHULLYs me. It's just my opinion.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Pretty slick re-use of assets there.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Two great backgrounds from the first game, J. Karn's stage in Mongolia and Rasputin's Russian stage.
HelloMyNameIsLoneSageAndImissUncleWASABI.gif

HashtagSylvieLivesMatter.gif

worldheroes2-chibi-group-pc-artwork.png

Can anyone identify what this artwork is from? It's labeled World Heroes 2 PC art, so I guess it's artwork for a computer port. Good stuff.

edit: BTW, does anyone know if the home cart or CD versions of the first game have a credits roll after you beat the game? Just odd that there's no credits after beating the MVS version, was wondering if any of the people working on it got credited in other releases.

Last edited:

NGLad

n00b
WH was a fun game, 100%. I remember playing it on my Sega and thinking it was right up there with SF. (I know that port is garbage) But then I saw
WH2 at my local arcade, and I was blown away. It just felt so intense. The sounds when you hit the ground, the bell at the end of matches,
the music, the win/lose screen. It felt raw. Haven't played Jet or Perfect, but I see a lot of people here feel that those games just don't have the same
spirit as 1 and 2.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
edit: BTW, does anyone know if the home cart or CD versions of the first game have a credits roll after you beat the game? Just odd that there's no credits after beating the MVS version, was wondering if any of the people working on it got credited in other releases.
Can't remember, but I think maybe you have to 1CC it.

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
WH was a fun game, 100%. I remember playing it on my Sega and thinking it was right up there with SF. (I know that port is garbage) But then I saw
WH2 at my local arcade, and I was blown away. It just felt so intense. The sounds when you hit the ground, the bell at the end of matches,
the music, the win/lose screen. It felt raw. Haven't played Jet or Perfect, but I see a lot of people here feel that those games just don't have the same
spirit as 1 and 2.
Perfect changed the gameplay quite a bit for the better but presentation wise the first 2 are much more entertaining.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
WH's is another series I want to go back and give another try. Did the same with Karnov's Revenge and now I love it.

metouto

n00b
For the past couple of months, I've been playing World Heroes. The first one. The original. Where Muscle Power still had blonde hair and a handlebar mustache in his character portrait.

I don't know why I keep coming back to it. Maybe the simplicity of it makes for a good 20 minute ride on the subway. Nothing complex.

This game has a lot of charm. It's a charming game. Some of the music is too legit to quit, especially Fuuma's theme with Mount Fuji in the background.

I like Brocken being a ripoff of a Jojo character. I like Mongolia being represented in a fighting game. I like Hanzo and Fuuma having the ability to double jump. I like one of the challenge stages hitting a slab of rock and the resulting sculpture look like something out of Choaniki. I like fighting in a cage over New York City at night. I like the character's name being chanted during the Continue screen (but I'll never like being caught off guard to continue, uh oh only 5 seconds left). I like Death Match.

There's also a lot to not like about the game, I guess, if you're a serious kind of fighting game player.

But there's got to be a reason I keep coming back to this. Just a call back to a simpler time.

If I had to choose between this or World Heroes Perfect, it's no contest. pk xd hack unlimited 999.999 coins and gems 2022
So I might be 1 year late to the party but I’m thinking of finally trying to get into the game. Any helpful tips for a new player? What kind of hero should I look into playing first?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
So I might be 1 year late to the party but I’m thinking of finally trying to get into the game. Any helpful tips for a new player? What kind of hero should I look into playing first?
They are all unique and worth seeing what special thing they can do.

Dragon can bounce off the wall.
Janne can bounce off someone with her sword.
Hanzo and Fuuma can double jump.

Great game, sincerely. Lot of heart in it. You can easily 1CC with Rasputin, crouching down with light kick all the way through.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
8 posts... one year-old account... talkng about WH??

Outrageous.

Ban plz.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
The hero neo-geo.com deserves, not the hero neo-geo.com needs.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I do feel WH2 edges out the first one a bit, but they are both fantastic.

No deathmatch mode in 2J or Perfect mean those are a massive downgrade.