Tax question

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

"What do taxes pay for?" "Why, everything! Policemen, trees, sunshine, and let's not forget the folks who just don't feel like workin'.'"

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don’t act like it’s fraud or you’re sticking it to the man. If it’s less than $600 you literally do not have to report it, and you don’t have the paperwork to back it to even if you tried.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
These days they send a trans wrestler or a map.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It used to be the case that maps lead to somewhere exciting, treasure maybe. Life was simple and pure.

I don’t know what map means in the context above, but it probably isn’t the treasure I’m thinking of.

• keke
Reactions: wyo

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Hello...

Hello...

The $600 rule kicks in next year.

You don't need to report it unless you've had 200 transactions and $20,000 in side income for 2022 tax year.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The $600 rule is bullshit and should be repealed. This is about independent contractor income though.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Don't spoil my angst with relevant details.

• keke
Reactions: wyo

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I used to freelance at a couple of places for a few years. Paid under the table...none reported. Cleared an extra $2k a year until this past year when my pay was raised generously upon becoming a manager at my current job...enough so that I didn't need to do such anymore...plus the fact they never called me back for my services so I assumed they finally hired someone.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Don’t act like it’s fraud or you’re sticking it to the man. If it’s less than $600 you literally do not have to report it, and you don’t have the paperwork to back it to even if you tried.
I do have the paperwork. Since I remote deposited them, I still have the original paper checks, photographs of them, and both paper and digital bank statements of said deposits. Even Perry Mason would be impressed.

Screenshot_20230125-224428-783.png

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

"What do taxes pay for?" "Why, everything! Policemen, trees, sunshine, and let's not forget the folks who just don't feel like workin'.'"
Flanders sure got flanderized. He's a Fox News watcher now, so he would no longer be pro-taxes.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I do have the paperwork. Since I remote deposited them, I still have the original paper checks, photographs of them, and both paper and digital bank statements of said deposits. Even Perry Mason would be impressed.

View attachment 62323
You know, i would ask you if every time you sell a videogame or shitty lego set you report that on your taxes as well, but nevermind you dont sell anything it all just piles up until the floor collapses and the walls fall in.

skateonwalls

I love sexy knickers!,
20 Year Member
Awhile back ,I used one of those temp job apps and did maybe 3 jobs . I only made around $400,it was 1099 work. I always assumed if it was under $600,it's not required to report it. I would think you doing a job and only getting $350 is the same concept.

Haaa,just seen the above about claiming everything,appears I'm wrong,lol.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It looks like you already know your answer, so go ahead and pay the Tax man.
I pay enough taxes already.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I click 3-5 times with my computer mouse and my taxes are done. I don't even need to think that is how dumbed down it is here.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
So simple, even Joe9 can't fook it up...or can he?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I click 3-5 times with my computer mouse and my taxes are done. I don't even need to think that is how dumbed down it is here.
It is immensely complicated for a person with nothing special going on. If you have rentals, are military, side jobs, college students, sell a home - it gets downright stupid and yeah, a lot of people need to pay to have it done (mostly) right.

We tell ourselves all the tax code is designed to catch millionaire cheats, but it seems the only people who can really afford to "work" the tax code are the millionaire cheats.

We're hiring some 80,000-odd IRS agents (some with guns, apparently) to crack down! AFAIK nowhere else in the world does this.

Flat tax on purchases of all new items. To get to equilibrate numbers prolly has to be like 28% or something. Done.

If you make $83,550 as a married family you'll pay 12% of your salary in Federal tax.
If you make $83,551 as a married family you'll pay 22% of your salary in Federal tax.
If you make $340,100 as a married family you'll pay 24% of your salary in Federal tax.

We can send a satellite in orbit that travels at 37,000mph, non-stop, for 45 years, taking pictures with 1970's cameras and sending messages / images back from 23 BILLION kilometers away...but we can't figure out how to pro-rate your federal tax rate.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Australian taxes are super easy. You go to their web site and confirm that their numbers are right. 5 clicks is an overestimate.

The US is honestly pretty pathetic. They're limping along on systems from 50 years ago and nobody wants to make the investment to fix anything.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If you make $83,550 as a married family you'll pay 12% of your salary in Federal tax.
If you make $83,551 as a married family you'll pay 22% of your salary in Federal tax.
If you make $340,100 as a married family you'll pay 24% of your salary in Federal tax.

Yeah, that's not how a progressive tax system works. Seriously... how do people who've been paying taxes for 20-30 years not understand this shit?

The American tax system is needlessly obtuse and complicated to keep tax filing businesses (TurboTax, accountants, etc.) flush and to enable the aforementioned rich to continue not paying their fair share. I would take a flat tax rate but we all know it would just end up with the rich having endless loopholes to avoid it and the middle/upper-middle class would continue getting fucked.