Game consoles- multi AV cables?

metouto

n00b
Does anyone have any experience with any of the various multisystem cables that are out there? Like any good gamer, I've been accumulating consoles over the years, and I'm to the point where the next one will find me out of inputs on the receiver and the HDTV.

I'm interested in picking up one of the cables that has multiple plugs for various consoles all connected to one set of AV plugs (preferably s-video). Lik-sang.com carries several, and I saw one at Target the other day-- I'm a little wary of the quality, though. Has anybody used one and found the video quality to be good?

I need to know:

1. Are there any with no noticeable degradation in video quality?

2. Which ones are good (brand, model, where to buy)?

3. Is there one somewhere that supports the following simultaneously? Most difficult to find would probably be one that has two SNES/N64/Cube-style plugs so you can use all 3 at the same time, and one that has both S-video AND composite (for the NES).

NES

SNES

N64

Dreamcast

PS2

Gamecube

XBox

(also note that I don't really have all of these-- the PS2 and XBox aren't getting added until they get cheap. It pays to stay a few years behind!)

metouto

n00b
Does anyone have any experience with any of the various multisystem cables that are out there? Like any good gamer, I've been accumulating consoles over the years, and I'm to the point where the next one will find me out of inputs on the receiver and the HDTV.

I'm interested in picking up one of the cables that has multiple plugs for various consoles all connected to one set of AV plugs (preferably s-video). Lik-sang.com carries several, and I saw one at Target the other day-- I'm a little wary of the quality, though. Has anybody used one and found the video quality to be good?

I need to know:

1. Are there any with no noticeable degradation in video quality?

2. Which ones are good (brand, model, where to buy)?

3. Is there one somewhere that supports the following simultaneously epoxy garage flooring charlotte? Most difficult to find would probably be one that has two SNES/N64/Cube-style plugs so you can use all 3 at the same time, and one that has both S-video AND composite (for the NES).

NES

SNES

N64

Dreamcast

PS2

Gamecube

XBox

(also note that I don't really have all of these-- patio flooring jacksonville the PS2 and XBox aren't getting added until they get cheap. It pays to stay a few years behind!)
thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Anytime you create multiple sources into one cable like that, you'll have some quality degradation. It's much easier and better to route those options through a switch box

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Try to get RGB from these systems, if at all possible.
S-video is way better than composite. S-video is the bare minimum you would use for gaming- only use it if it's the best your TV/monitor can do.
For PS2, component is arguably better than RGB for some games (newer hi-res games), as the resolution of RGB is lower (but the the colours are better than component).

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I think you just need to pack some of those systems away. Rotate them in and out. Then you’ll have spent zero money, have plenty of inputs, and your room will look nicer.

Nobody can play 20 systems at once. They’re just collecting dust.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think you just need to pack some of those systems away. Rotate them in and out. Then you’ll have spent zero money, have plenty of inputs, and your room will look nicer.

Nobody can play 20 systems at once. They’re just collecting dust.

When I owned a bunch of consoles that's what I did. I would just store away the consoles and when I felt like playing something I would just hook it up. I preffer doing that over having a shit ton of different colored consoles sitting on shelves. Less clutter and it doesn't look as ugly.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, these people with all their consoles sitting out in separate lighted cabinet compartments, routed through multiple scart switchers are nuts. It must be nice to be able to boot anything on a whim, but most of the consoles probably never get played, and most people don't have the space.

The internet today would have you believe you either have a giant multi-scart setup or sell it all and get a Mister. You do have some practical options in between.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, these people with all their consoles sitting out in separate lighted cabinet compartments, routed through multiple scart switchers are nuts. It must be nice to be able to boot anything on a whim, but most of the consoles probably never get played, and most people don't have the space.

The internet today would have you believe you either have a giant multi-scart setup or sell it all and get a Mister. You do have some practical options in between.

Yeah…I just…hook up the Genesis when I want to play Genesis…like people actually did when the Genesis was current.

Its a toy. It’s not a fucking lifestyle choice.

(I’m not talking about Neo of course. My main Neo is a two slot in an 19” cabinet on casters with custom panels, remote sticks, conspicuously expensive switchwork, dedicated monitor etc. A Neo is no toy.)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah…I just…hook up the Genesis when I want to play Genesis…like people actually did when the Genesis was current.
When my systems were current I kept them hooked up all the time.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When my systems were current I kept them hooked up all the time.

There are only ever three or maybe four systems current at once so this should self regulate.

What’s stupid is dedicating a little LED lit cube in a IKEA thing for Master System…and then also a Genesis with a Power Base even though you have a Master System, a CDI, a Jag, an N64, etc, basically a wall of a person’s house devoted to old junk that they spent more time modding and setting up and lighting and pirating all the software for than they’ll ever spend playing the games.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
There are only ever three or maybe four systems current at once so this should self regulate.

What’s stupid is dedicating a little LED lit cube in a IKEA thing for Master System…and then also a Genesis with a Power Base even though you have a Master System, a CDI, a Jag, an N64, etc, basically a wall of a person’s house devoted to old junk that they spent more time modding and setting up and lighting and pirating all the software for than they’ll ever spend playing the games.
Looks nice on Instagram, that's about it. Sorry Insta folks if my setup doesn't get you hard.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
I got one of those multi-system things years ago, but I couldn't tell you if they're any good. Mine's still in the package. The cable looks like it's nice and thick and should be sturdy, but can say much beyond that.

If I can remember to look for it and find out, I'll open it up and try it out.

I don't recall the brand. I wanna say Nyko, but just guessing at this point.