Game boy Ballers post here

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
IMG_20220812_141408.jpg
IMG_20220812_141417.jpg

Found these tea organizers that I thought I'd try out for GB carts. Very pleased. They're stackable as well.

Clear Tea Bag Organizer Set of 2 - Large Organizer Box for Teabags - Durable Plastic Stackable Organizer for Tea Packets, Sweetener, Instant Coffee - Ideal for Kitchen Countertop, Pantry https://a.co/d/7uoLH71

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just a heads up, Funnyplaying released their long awaited SP shells and buttons and stuff not long ago, and they're the only aftermarket shells I've tried that aren't shit in some way or another.

sp1.jpgsp2.jpg

I guess time will tell if it holds up, the translucent IPS ready shells feel good at first but usually they crack after a while. This feels really solid, my only gripe might bet that it only comes in the mirror polished plastic which looks great but is a fingerprint magnet. The FP buttons and membranes are very good as well. The trigger springs for L and R could use a tad more tension but they aren't bad. Also the shells do not like aftermarket hinges, my right hinge kept popping out after a while. OEM hinges work perfectly.

Of course the original shells are still the king. But this is close.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
0-C99-F2-C2-7730-407-C-8-BD4-F70-B63-F29-C77.jpg

Got an IPS modded SP, but I don't like how it doesn't have that grid pattern a stock screen would. I prefer to play on my micro and Game Boy Player.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
0-C99-F2-C2-7730-407-C-8-BD4-F70-B63-F29-C77.jpg

Got an IPS modded SP, but I don't like how it doesn't have that grid pattern a stock screen would. I prefer to play on my micro and Game Boy Player.
If you feel like getting your hands dirty you might look into the new Funnyplaying ITA kit for it. It uses a DSI screen so it looks like it's supposed to, very similar to the original backlit models but with slightly better colors and less ghosting. My SP above has their newer IP kit which has a horizontal scanline option that looks pretty darn good in my opinion, but it's not totally accurate to what the original screens looked like.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
If you feel like getting your hands dirty you might look into the new Funnyplaying ITA kit for it. It uses a DSI screen so it looks like it's supposed to, very similar to the original backlit models but with slightly better colors and less ghosting. My SP above has their newer IP kit which has a horizontal scanline option that looks pretty darn good in my opinion, but it's not totally accurate to what the original screens looked like.
Nice, I didn't know they had a new kit. Yours sounds cool too, mine must be the previous version since it doesn't have any screen options at all. My friend was interested in buying it off me since I rarely use it, but if he doesn't I'll definitely check out the ITA kit. Appreciate the info.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have an original style GBA with the V2 IPS, and it's super freaking clear. Would be cool if you could turn on/off pixel grid though. But then I feel like I primarily play GBA on my RP3+ now anyway and can do all of that with that thing.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
My sister borrowed my game boy pocket and all my carts in the early 2010s and now she doesn't remember where they are, or even that she took them. Bitch ain't changed since she was six. :mad:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah the new FP IPS kit has a scanline option. The new Hispeedido kit has options for horizontal, vertical, and full pixel grid lines. I do worry that the pixel mode might make it a tad too dark, but we'll see. I'm building a GBA for a coworker and I grabbed the Hispeedido kit for it since it fits in an original shell with minimal trimming. I'll report back when I get it built.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Man, I do not miss having to line up these screens. Most of the kits I use now either go in custom shells or have nice brackets to position the screen, the GBA Hispeedido kit has these little plexi pieces where the idea is to push the screen against them and it's aligned. Except, it isn't, the pieces are a hair off, and you can't reposition the image in this kit. This is pretty much how the old IPS kits used to be, but I'm spoiled by Funnyplaying making things so much easier with their shells.

Anyway, I'm not done with my coworker's GBA yet, but I have it together and the screen with the pixel grid option looks pretty cool. It's a little dark with pixel mode on, but not overly so, about the same as a backlit SP. Only real snag is that with the display board's PCB sandwiched in there everything is a tad too tight and there are pressure spots on the screen. I'll have to review the installation to see if I can make a hair more room, I really don't want to have to leave the motherboard loose and make the controls feel sloppy. I don't think I'll be buying any more of these kits at least until someone makes a good 3d printed bracket or something for the screen, and I really hope Hispeedido switches to using flex cable sometime.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Bumping this thread because I've been playing a lot of GB lately, and want to see more of your collections. Plus, I just reorganized my carts, so I took some pics.

GB/GBC
Spoiler:

20240212-142534.jpg

Got this storage idea from pixeljunkie. They have all sorts of these tea packet organizers on amazon and elsewhere. This small one with drawers is perfect for my needs.
20240202-072826.jpg

And this is a "not for resale" cart I came across in a bargain bin mixed in with a bunch of other sports games. It's quite a rarity, but unfortunately it's not a very good game. The Griffey on GBC is pretty good though, if you're looking for a decent baseball game.
20240212-141747.jpg

GBA
Spoiler:

I have a Micro and an SP, but they pretty much belong to my daughters now. I got them a bunch of kids games, and they bring them on road trips.

On the occasion that I do get the itch to play GBA nowadays, I usually do so with the gameboy player thing for the Gamecube.
20240212-140453.jpg

I know I have the boxes for a few more of my GBA games, but I don't know where they are at the moment. So this pic is just stupid. Ha!
20240212-140711.jpg