Neo Geo CD Front Loader - no video / audio

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
When I tested it it was on wall voltage AND a step down, so the problem would not have appeared.

Interestingly the PSU tested good on my multimeter / the voltages into the rails were good as well. So my presumption was the problem was further down the line. I had proper voltage out of the break out board as well.

So while I’m glad he figured it out, it’s still a bit confusing as to how. My CDX power supply black screened the unit too
I was just curious... a lot of people are happy to plug Japanese psu's straight into an outlet in NA it seems, not bothered by the 10 volt difference... but there is a reason for the psu's being rated at 100v, so I'm just wondering if this is what leads a lot of NA Neo Geo CD owners to experience psu problems somewhere down the line?

I'm just naturally inclined to using a stepdown having lived in the UK for so long (240/220v is a massive difference... plus the sockets are incompatible) that even in Canada I still use a stepdown with all my OG Japanese hardware.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Out of interest are you using a stepdown with your set-up or just plugging the psu straight into the outlet?
I didn't bother pulling out the stepdown because awbacon said he already tried it. I don't usually bother with one except with the X68000.

I suppose it might be interesting to re-measure the voltages with a stepdown and see what difference it makes.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I was just curious... a lot of people are happy to plug Japanese psu's straight into an outlet in NA it seems, not bothered by the 10 volt difference... but there is a reason for the psu's being rated at 100v, so I'm just wondering if this is what leads a lot of NA Neo Geo CD owners to experience psu problems somewhere down the line?

I'm just naturally inclined to using a stepdown having lived in the UK for so long (240/220v is a massive difference... plus the sockets are incompatible) that even in Canada I still use a stepdown with all my OG Japanese hardware.
99/100 times the internal circuitry is designed to allow for voltages well in support of a +/- voltage range.

So while it’ll be a 100V device the internal circuitry will be designed to handle like 95-125V.

Cheaper to design one system than two for power. Plus you can’t expect the voltage at the wall to be perfect

And if it’s not…it just dissipates as heat. Which isn’t great but…it’s not terrible either

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
99/100 times the internal circuitry is designed to allow for voltages well in support of a +/- voltage range.

So while it’ll be a 100V device the internal circuitry will be designed to handle like 95-125V

Cheaper to design one system than two for power.

And if it’s not…it just dissipates as heat. Which isn’t great but…it’s not terrible either
Be interesting to compare the internals of a US psu and the Japanese one... especially as the front-loader was only ever intended for the Japanese market. Oh well, still gonna stick to with the stepdown. Not had an issue with a psu in the last 30 years, not intending to start now *touches wood*

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Be interesting to compare the internals of a US psu and the Japanese one... especially as the front-loader was only ever intended for the Japanese market. Oh well, still gonna stick to with the stepdown. Not had an issue with a psu in the last 30 years, not intending to start now *touches wood*
Nothing wrong with using a step down but you’d find even some Japanese exclusive stuff has power circuitry to allow for 120V

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Nothing wrong with using a step down but you’d find even some Japanese exclusive stuff has power circuitry to allow for 120V
Oh indeed. My Sigma AV9000 plugs straight into the outlet, but I think everything else is "officially" rated at 100v.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Oh indeed. My Sigma AV9000 plugs straight into the outlet, but I think everything else is "officially" rated at 100v.
Most of the time the flexibility isn’t even so much a situation where it’s cost savings to design one circuit to accommodate both but engineers realizing power is all across the board.

Power strip? Probably gonna lose a few volts. Extension cord? Depending on length you might be 115v if you measured it.

100’ stinger? If it’s not premium shit I’ve seen like 105-110V measured off a 120V system.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The PSU has like 5 electrolytic caps from the 90s of which some always have have leaked (at the very least the 1uF), should be swapped anyways.
Also avoids issues with the old caps that are used to the old lower voltage.

JPN had 100V in the south, 110 in the north, over time that have been increased and unified.
Unless you measure your PSU under load, it's not really a measurement ;)

The JPN PSUs I have here after a re-cap have these values with no load:
9.9V
5.7V

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Most of the time the flexibility isn’t even so much a situation where it’s cost savings to design one circuit to accommodate both but engineers realizing power is all across the board.

Power strip? Probably gonna lose a few volts. Extension cord? Depending on length you might be 115v if you measured it.

100’ stinger? If it’s not premium shit I’ve seen like 105-110V measured off a 120V system.
Its literally that the system didnt want to hear your feminine slip and slide mush mouth voice say “it really helps us out” so it activated the watch dog circuit. Electro-seppuku. Good job. One good PSU down

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Its literally that the system didnt want to hear your feminine slip and slide mush mouth voice say “it really helps us out” so it activated the watch dog circuit. Electro-seppuku. Good job. One good PSU down
its like you aren't even trying with these rants any more. Mix it up. You keep trying to combo the same couple things into new material

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Quite the forum-wide adventure this NGCD Front Loader has been through. Good to hear it was a simple solution.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
its like you aren't even trying with these rants any more. Mix it up. You keep trying to combo the same couple things into new material
This from the guy who churns out at least 3 videos with identical layouts each week. Pot fuckin kettle.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
awbacon is the Teflon Don
Puts out more videos than roker's mom
kern, max and tarma wish that he was gone
Insults flying daily still he carries on

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
awbacon is the Teflon Don
Puts out more videos than roker's mom
kern, max and tarma wish that he was gone
Insults flying daily still he carries on
That shit was str8 fire

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

I would buy the hell out of a record with Electro-seppuku in the title.