CD Player Recommendations?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Yag, I have a double of the Sony DVP-S7700. I might be down with parting with that if you are interested.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Sony La Scala series? Specifically the CDP-S1 (the CD player of the set)? I have a guy that is interested to sell me one, and from what I've read these look like great units and in my price range.

That model should be fine. It is from 1994 I believe, a narrower unit from a better "micro component" line I believe.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
That's not a bad idea, or even a 1st gen PS1. We don't have/want any screens in our upstairs living area due to the over abundance of them in our lower level (the game room), though, so I need either controls on the unit itself and/or a remote. Something simple, really.

If you have the Blu-ray remote for the PS3 you can use it as a CD player standalone, no screen needed. I do this on occasion but there are much quieter CD players so if you don’t have doors on your racks it might annoy you.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
my friend hacked his PS3 for SACD purpose... I am not sure his exact reasons other than that it was the best solution for the price...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve never heard a PS3 actually play SACDs but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t as good at it as most everything else. The DAC is good and Sony made all that stuff in the first place so nobody knows SACD better than them.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
my friend hacked his PS3 for SACD purpose... I am not sure his exact reasons other than that it was the best solution for the price...
So he could rip dsd streams, it plays sacd natively if it's the original. Maybe they soft disabled it in the newer models, I dunno

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
So he could rip dsd streams, it plays sacd natively if it's the original. Maybe they soft disabled it in the newer models, I dunno
You are right, to do a SACD server.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Do not base your purchase of a CD player on if it has SACD capabilities for the 1 or 2 SACDs you might actually play.

Just saying.

Horrible selection for the most part.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
You can get an old model Oppo for $100-200. That will do everything. Otherwise get as good a DAC as you can afford and use whatever you want for the transport.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Do not base your purchase of a CD player on if it has SACD capabilities for the 1 or 2 SACDs you might actually play.

Just saying.

Horrible selection for the most part.

Downloadable DSDs at quad rate are commonly available in 2023. If someone wants to collectard the pathetic selection of SACDs out there that’s one thing, but if you want max quality digital these days FLAC, and DSD are it (occasionally ALAC, I guess, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio). SACD itself, even though they still make them decades after introduction, is essentially a failed format with terrible selection. There just ain’t shit on SACD.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yag, I have a double of the Sony DVP-S7700. I might be down with parting with that if you are interested.

That model should be fine. It is from 1994 I believe, a narrower unit from a better "micro component" line I believe.

To me that sounds like “probably needs an expensive recap if its even repairable at all”.

Sony+old+micro=difficult to repair junk, from my experience. They are on the cutting edge of science, those Sony dudes, bless their hearts they do the work…but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t result in a mountain of junk that failed 2-5 years after being built. Sony does not give a flying fuck about longevity.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
PS3 also plays DVD-Audio discs, not sure if it's in HD though.
The first two models you need to get 24bit/96KHZ out of HDMI.
Think the slim model can play it out of spdif/fiber

EDIT: Google says no DVD-A, you can get it to play 24/96 with some hackery though.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Jeebus, thanks for all the recommendations!

Went with the Sony La Scala CDP-S1 - sleek little unit, got decent reviews from what I've seen. Found a guy selling his original lightly used model. This is mainly for my partner, so I wanted to keep it simple.

I have a few PS3s actually, and use a Slim for my CD player in my higher-end home theater setup in the basement. 😉 Love the PS3 - one of my favorite consoles. Such handy devices and the built-in visualizers are the best.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
DVD-A, as universal as it sounds, can be a confounding pain in the ass.