Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
-I enjoyed it, was a throwback to high science fiction ala Flash Gordon/Journey to the Center of the Earth. Jonathan Major has been stellar in everything I've seen him in and he continues that streak here.

I did enjoy the crazy Science Fantasy of Quantumania. And yeah, Major steals every scene he is in. His Kang is so good I actually want to re-watch Loki to see him again and I usually consider this type of stuff to be disposable entertainment.

“Don’t speak when I am in the room” is the ultimate bitch slap. Loved it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I love how in the social media age, every garbage spectacle movie gets a group of people 20 years later that either forgot how terrible it was, were too young to realize how shit it was or convince themselves "it wasn't that bad" to be contrarian.

Crystal Skull was an embarrassment, a total waste of the return of Karen Allen and doesn't need anyone to defend it. Everyone in Hollywood should take a cue from Robert Zemeckis and when someone suggests resurrecting a long-dead franchise for no other reason than money, say "over my dead body".

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I enjoyed it at the time. Maybe it would seem worse now. Obviously not as good as the first three. The opening was great though, idgaf. Nuked fridge and all.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Drunken Master II- This is that good shit. Jackie and everyone involved are at the absolute top of their game. Possibly his best choreography and since it's a period piece no car chases or modern spectacle, just pure old school action with a good story and humor. It's a big production too, elaborate sets, fantastic cinematography and a strong supporting cast. As far as Jackie's straight up kung fu movies go this is his crown jewel.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
As with most things South Park, it's a little bit of both. They thought the movie was crap but also were satirizing the internet's ridiculous overreactions to bad/disappointing movies. Both things can be true: the movies can be crap AND the overreaction can be ridiculous and more than a little sad (see Wars, Star).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I teach the 2008 Olympics I always think back to Cartman watching the opening ceremony. Dude, you don't shoot guys in the dick.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I love how in the social media age, every garbage spectacle movie gets a group of people 20 years later that either forgot how terrible it was, were too young to realize how shit it was or convince themselves "it wasn't that bad" to be contrarian.

Crystal Skull was an embarrassment, a total waste of the return of Karen Allen and doesn't need anyone to defend it. Everyone in Hollywood should take a cue from Robert Zemeckis and when someone suggests resurrecting a long-dead franchise for no other reason than money, say "over my dead body".

Crystal Skull was alright. It was about as good as it could be, for a sequel made so long after the first three. It'll be interesting to see Dial of Destiny when it comes out this year.
Temple of Doom was the most underrated movie in the series. Everyone's seen Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Last Crusade (five times over).

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
A Fistful of Dollars

I had actually never seen Fistful, I have no idea why. I love westerns, but I guess I just never watched it. A great movie, and considering its from '64, its quite 'gory.' Really enjoyable. Ive seen Yojimbo and I like that Leone filmed some scenes that were almost identical to some in Yojimbo.

Only thing that bugged me is that the dialogue was all ADR'ed, but as Grampa Simpson says:

1676994834800.png

Rad flick.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Midnight Run - first time I've seen this, and it was very entertaining, and has a brilliant cast. Some people really rave about Midnight Run, and while it is a very good film from Beverly Hills Cop director Martin Brest, it's probably about 15 minutes too long. And despite being generally labeled as an "action comedy", there is very little action in it. The film is carried by the great chemistry between De Niro and Grodin, with superb turns from John Ashton and Joe Pantoliano, who are all blessed with great dialogue.

Shame De Niro never made more films like this... the closet thing that comes to mind is Showtime, which unfortunately was butchered in post.

Also... why isn't John Ashton in more stuff? Looking forward to seeing what Beverly Hills Cop IV turns out like.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
A Fistful of Dollars

I had actually never seen Fistful, I have no idea why. I love westerns, but I guess I just never watched it. A great movie, and considering its from '64, its quite 'gory.' Really enjoyable. Ive seen Yojimbo and I like that Leone filmed some scenes that were almost identical to some in Yojimbo.

Only thing that bugged me is that the dialogue was all ADR'ed, but as Grampa Simpson says:

View attachment 63174

Rad flick.
All Italian movies were at that time, even with full Italian cast. They never used sound from the set. Then when you get the spaghetti westerns with their international casts, ADR was a necessity. All the actors, be they from Italy, America, Spain, wherever, acted in their own languages with no one being able to understand each other as they filmed their scenes together, so even the native Italian cut of the movie would be a dub.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
ADR was the norm in a lot of places until relatively recently. @HornheaDD exposed as foreign movie noob.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Temple of Doom- Well it's not as bad as Crystal Skull but it's certainly not good. I don't even mean in comparison to Raiders or Crusade, it's just a bad movie. There are small glimmers of good stuff; the opening in Shanghai, some of the action/set pieces are great but that's about it.

Short Round is a bit annoying but he's nothing compared to Willie. That woman is just awful and ruins every scene. The sequence where they jump out of the plane is the most preposterous shit ever and it looks too cartoonish. The whole plot with the child slaves is terrible, the bizarrely outdated way they portray Indian people is cringe and the bad guys are lame AF compared to the Nazis. This is Indiana Jones for babies and it absolutely reeks of Lucas and his goofy childish fuckery.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All Italian movies were at that time, even with full Italian cast. They never used sound from the set. Then when you get the spaghetti westerns with their international casts, ADR was a necessity. All the actors, be they from Italy, America, Spain, wherever, acted in their own languages with no one being able to understand each other as they filmed their scenes together, so even the native Italian cut of the movie would be a dub.
That's wild.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Blood and Black Lace- A haute couture fashion house is the setting for a series of bizarre and gruesome murders centering around a diary containing dirt on everybody working there. The models are picked off one by one, there are red herrings left and right with twist and turns every which way.

The movie is often cited as the first giallo, though that's debatable. Mario Bava directs with his signature style and a good amount of tension. It's an absolutely gorgeous film and while it can be a bit dull at times when everything comes together it really works and is rightly regarded as a classic. The cinematography, lighting, sets and music are all outstanding. It's an extremely influential piece and definitely worth watching if you have even a passing interest in the history of cinema.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Beast - still adore Idris Elba and mostly like Sharlto Copley but this was bad, especially in comparison to next movie. Ending was incredibly stupid, enough that it tanked the handful of positives from before.

The Grey - holds up well. Premise is executed well, generally seems believable in how things play out, and Neeson and good supporting cast take it from there.

VHS 94 - nice return to form after the trash that was VHS Viral. The Subject was one of the better horror pieces I've seen in a while regardless of format.

VHS 99 - eh, fine. Only took five movies and 10 years to realize that having a unifying main story doesn't help things.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Idris Elba's only good role was Stringer Bell. Everything else was meh.

Reactions: jro

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
A Fistful of Dollars

View attachment 63174

Rad flick.
You might want to add last man standing to the list, it's a good noir'ish retelling of yojimbo in the prohibition days in a desert town with Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bone Tomahawk- A murderous drifter who defiled an indian burial ground ends up stumbling into a small town where he is arrested. The indians track and capture him, the deputy and a nurse. The sheriff and a small posse go on a rescue mission but the indians are not a normal tribe, they are literal bloodthirsty murderous savages who eat their victims. The rescue mission quickly turn into a brutal fight for survival.

One of the of the most underrated modern westerns and one of the only western/horror movies. Stellar cast, pacing and dialogue, just really well made all around. I hadn't seen it in a few years and forgot how crazy it gets towards the end. It is extremely violent but not exactly in a gratuitous way. It's just brutal. The violence is real-time quick and since the movie has no score to speak of it's not punctuated with dumb sound cues, it just happens. Kurt Russel of course steals every scene he's in but it's also a great ensemble piece and everybody pulls their weight. Highly recommended.

Yes! It's one of those I am in NO RUSH to see again, but damn was it effective. I love Zahler...love. Brawl is one of my all-time favorites, and Bone Tomahawk is honestly on par with it. I can't wait to see what that dude does next. I read somewhere he has aspirations to do a puppet flick, which really just makes me think I am in control of the universe, if I am being honest.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Idris Elba's only good role was Stringer Bell. Everything else was meh.

Hmmmn... Ever seen Ultraviolet? He was pretty good in that... I think post The Wire his ego is getting in the way a bit. Not seen any of his turns as Luther or Molly's Game. Hobbs & Shaw is a guilty pleasure... He's really, really good in Sonic 2 - honest.

Hudson Hawk - One of those films that seems to get better the older it gets. Very, very silly from start to finish, but it has a certain charm, and Willis and Aiello are a good partnership. Richard E Grant hams it up and James Coburn chews up the scenery. Give it a go if you've not seen it, but go with low expectations if your only other Bruce Willis experiences have "Die Hard" in the title or the "Sixth Sense"... and for gods sake don't treat it as a serious film!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Last Crusade- Figured I'd knock this one out since the other 2 were still fresh in my mind. This definitely should have stayed the end of the series as it was intended. While it's not as good as Raiders it's close. Great locations, good action/set pieces, Conery as Indy's dad, the stuff with young Indy at the beginning is good though a bit long and silly. There are a couple of poor effects shots but they're outweighed by a lot of other great ones. It's not bogged down by any annoying side characters and the grail plot is solid. The only real issues I have are with some of the stuff at the end. The templar knight still there after 700 years is goofy and the Nazi broad being so greedy/stupid is lazy. It shits all over Temple of Doom.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Jessie Stone: Sea Change- I figured I'd give another one of these a go and this one is much better. Better plot, better cast, age appropriate women and better characters. Although I think I skipped a movie or two, there are different supporting characters and references to previous events that I missed. There does seem to be a good amount of character development for Stone since the first movie, which is nice and helps make it feel less episodic. This one gets pretty deep into his alcoholism and it's various causes. They really get into his ex-wife a lot more and his obsessive work issues. The central case in this one is vastly superior to the first movie but it does devolve into pulpy silliness by the end.

Like the previous one though this is squarely in Saturday afternoon dad half asleep in front of the TV territory but it's not terrible.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cool World - What the fuck did I even just watch? Whatever it was, it wasn't great. Or even...good. Was this an original work or based on an actual comic or...? Off to the wikipedia page, I guess. Kim Basinger was 10/10.