Firearm enthusiast thread

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yeah I definitely plan on going up to a 44mag but ive been shooting so much lately I really want one more smaller revolver first. Something I can put a lot more enjoyable rounds through in a range trip cheaply. Pretty sold on a s&w 610 as mentioned earlier. 44 mag will come after that, looking at an anaconda.

Sucks that you had to rush those big purchases, but at least you could swing it and own them now. Very curious to hear how you are enjoying that 500 after you get a chance to shoot it.

Brakes and muzzle devices are something Im just starting to experiment with. Looking at the one on your revolver is giving me ptsd. Had a buddy shooting next to me yesterday with the most obnoxious brake ever on a 308. Had to beef up my hearing pro, couldn't escape the hot gas coming out of the thing. Not a range friendly brake, im going to make that guy swap shooting benches with me next time so he can see how annoying that brake is to shoot next to.

Where do you shoot in cali? Indoor range or drive into the middle of the desert? I missed out big by not being into firearms while living there, would really love to try shooting at big distances. Here its hard to find even 100 yard outdoor range, because the woods here are vietnam thick and that would have to be cleared first. Was a real treat being at a 250 yard range yesterday.
You want a .44 mag, how about the 629 competitor. I shoot indoors at the LAX range.

57a885173c4a2e79d3db5b4c7c25756e.jpg

That is fucking sexy. I dont know if im willing to drop that much on something I dont plan on shooting often.

Also I was kind of wanting to try something outside of s&w. Dont get me wrong I fucking love mine, in my rabbit holing they really seem like THE preferred wheel guns. But with 2 s&w’s I kind of want to try another manufacturer.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
That is fucking sexy. I dont know if im willing to drop that much on something I dont plan on shooting often.

Also I was kind of wanting to try something outside of s&w. Dont get me wrong I fucking love mine, in my rabbit holing they really seem like THE preferred wheel guns. But with 2 s&w’s I kind of want to try another manufacturer.
But a .44 mag Anaconda is like $1500 and it's not on the CA roster.

I think I might pick up a Beretta before I get a BFR

Some hot takes from my range trip saturday:

The modern WBP akm vintage clone feels noticeably superior to the actual vintage circle 11 I picked up

Also fired about 120 rounds through my garand this weekend, first garand experience. What a sweetheart to shoot, ive fired m14/m1a a bunch and im dying to shoot them side by side now but the garand really surprised me how comfortable and easy it was to handle. On the m14 i have to wrap the sling around my arm to keep good control and fire at full speed, not so on his daddy garand. Something about the balance and ergo and 30-06 cartridge adds up to a very comfortable and confidence inspiring rifle. Jerry never stood a chance.

This was also my first time shooting steel, easily ten times more rewarding than shooting paper.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Some hot takes from my range trip saturday:

The modern WBP akm vintage clone feels noticeably superior to the actual vintage circle 11 I picked up

Also fired about 120 rounds through my garand this weekend, first garand experience. What a sweetheart to shoot, ive fired m14/m1a a bunch and im dying to shoot them side by side now but the garand really surprised me how comfortable and easy it was to handle. On the m14 i have to wrap the sling around my arm to keep good control and fire at full speed, not so on his daddy garand. Something about the balance and ergo and 30-06 cartridge adds up to a very comfortable and confidence inspiring rifle. Jerry never stood a chance.

This was also my first time shooting steel, easily ten times more rewarding than shooting paper.
How was your grouping. I unfortunately can't see crap anymore and need a reflex sight on everything

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Judge Roger Benitez will soon issue his ruling in Miller V. Bonta which challenges California's so called "Assault Weapon" ban. This case which has wound its way through the courts found its way back to the Judge and a decision is expected soon.

With which firearm? Im shooting with old man eyesight as well, some medical issues in the past that have done damage too. I put a holosun 507 on my garand with one of those little rear sight block adapters. Mostly just shooting at 50 yards, getting used to the firearm and then dialing in the dot, seeing how fast I could dump the clip while staying on say a 5 inch target. My eyes are bad enough that I dont like shooting at 100 yards or further without magnification. With a good ak and a 3x I can do a couple moa at a hundred yards on a good day, without magnification i would be hitting paper with half my shots.

Last edited:
Went to grab a four inch 610 today because rebate, free range bag and pocket knife. Immediately went to an interactive indoor range, kind of like “top golf” for firearms. Went out for lengua street tacos after that. Decent day indeed.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Went to grab a four inch 610 today because rebate, free range bag and pocket knife. Immediately went to an interactive indoor range, kind of like “top golf” for firearms. Went out for lengua street tacos after that. Decent day indeed.
So you finally pulled the trigger. Is it possible to fire it outdoors without ear protection.

What?!?! I dont fire anything without ear pro. If I owned suppressors I would.

Are you picking on me because I didnt get a bigger caliber you son of a bitch?! lol

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What?!?! I dont fire anything without ear pro. If I owned suppressors I would.

Are you picking on me because I didnt get a bigger caliber you son of a bitch?! lol
Nah just wondering if in a pinch what's the biggest caliber that can be fired indoors or in some cases outdoor without hearing protection. For example if I were about to be mauled in the woods by a grizzly could I actually use any of the cannons I bought without hearing protection.

So basically is a 10mm/357 hearing safe. I need to buy something practical for self defense so was thinking of abandoning the 9mm beretta for a 10mm instead.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't think there are any firearm cartridges that are hearing safe.

I've been around 22 and 12 gauge (bird shot) without hearing protection. While not painful in the moment, it's certainly also doing hearing damage. Like being at a loud ass concert.

Better some tinnitus than dead, I suppose. We desperately need suppressors to be deregulated.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I don't think there are any firearm cartridges that are hearing safe.

I've been around 22 and 12 gauge (bird shot) without hearing protection. While not painful in the moment, it's certainly also doing hearing damage. Like being at a loud ass concert.

Better some tinnitus than dead, I suppose. We desperately need suppressors to be deregulated.
Yeah better half deaf than dead if you have to weigh the situation

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Hearing loss is cumulative.
Meaning it usually doesn't happen all at once but little by little over time.
Years of shooting, concerts/playing music, and the aircraft/heavy equipment industry have left me with permanent damage.
My ears ring nonstop.
Folks, don't fuck around wear hearing protection if you even think about being around something loud.

Mainman have you never fired outside? Man you are missing out, totally different experience, especially at a public range or just in nature with no supervision whatsoever.

And outdoors I wear electronic inner ear protection. At an indoor range it depends how busy or if there are any rifles but I will change to over ear instead when it gets loud.

Outside you dont get the constant echo of loud gunshots off all the walls with people packed into tight lanes all next to you. The landscape kind of soaks it up. But even 22 outside is still a loud enough snap to trigger my ear protection.

10mm and 357 are both louder to me than 9mm. Also anyone not using electronic hearing protection is missing a huge part of the experience. To just deffen yourself at the range with passive ear plugs and muffs is lame.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hearing loss is cumulative.
Meaning it usually doesn't happen all at once but little by little over time.
Years of shooting, concerts/playing music, and the aircraft/heavy equipment industry have left me with permanent damage.
My ears ring nonstop.
Folks, don't fuck around wear hearing protection if you even think about being around something loud.

Yep. Every person who went to school for music in college that I knew wore earplugs at concerts.

Just today I needed to use my table saw for a single cut. I was going to say "fuck it" and cut without ear pro, but I walked my ass over to where my PPE is and put them on.

Me and my cousin were plinking once time. We took a break, bullshit a bit, then brought out the 1911. Fired one shot from the pistol and both of us look at each other like idiots, because we forgot to put our ear pro back on. Just a single shot and I think it rang for a few hours and I didn't feel 100% until much later.

Hell, got a CRT tv around? Ask a young person if they can hear the high pitch whine from it. I guarantee none of us can, anymore.

Gotta keep what hearing you have left.

Fact is, when you get older, PPE is cool. Legalize Suppressors.

All I want is to be able to machine a suppressor at home. It'd be so fucking easy. They have soft/rubbery filaments for 3D printers now. Imagine just printing a new stack of wipes for your suppressor when you needed new ones.

I still want Solid Snake's surpassed pistol with the single shot mechanism on it that prevents it from cycling. Shit is dope.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Yep. Every person who went to school for music in college that I knew wore earplugs at concerts.

Just today I needed to use my table saw for a single cut. I was going to say "fuck it" and cut without ear pro, but I walked my ass over to where my PPE is and put them on.

Me and my cousin were plinking once time. We took a break, bullshit a bit, then brought out the 1911. Fired one shot from the pistol and both of us look at each other like idiots, because we forgot to put our ear pro back on. Just a single shot and I think it rang for a few hours and I didn't feel 100% until much later.

Hell, got a CRT tv around? Ask a young person if they can hear the high pitch whine from it. I guarantee none of us can, anymore.

Gotta keep what hearing you have left.

Fact is, when you get older, PPE is cool. Legalize Suppressors.

All I want is to be able to machine a suppressor at home. It'd be so fucking easy. They have soft/rubbery filaments for 3D printers now. Imagine just printing a new stack of wipes for your suppressor when you needed new ones.

I still want Solid Snake's surpassed pistol with the single shot mechanism on it that prevents it from cycling. Shit is dope.
Tru fax.
Buds made fun of me when I started wearing plugs at concerts.
Yet I was the only one who could hear at the end of it.
You can block the slide of an autoloader with your hand.
You don't really need any special mechanism.
Just ignore the mall ninja crap at the beginning.

Last edited:
Another reason to be a wheelgun man!

And yes everyone ive met who is a long time shooter seems to bring up hearing damage/loss at some point, one thing to be thankful for about getting in the game late for me I guess.

Maybe I should try wearing the over ears more often. So far i just go between the inner and outer ear ppe depending on my level of comfort with the noise around us. Ive not once gone home with any ringing or discomfort, maybe thats a sign of how good the tech has become.

I use walkers silencer 2.0 for inners and also a walkers model for outer, both electronic and ambient noise boosting and adjustable sound in a variety of ways. I drool over the Peltor inner ear models.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You can block the slide of an autoloader with your hand.
You don't really need any special mechanism.
Just ignore the mall ninja crap at the beginning.

I want to be solid snake though.

Any of you nerds into military surplus at all? Been picking up a piece here or there. This 1985 russian GP 7v PMK complete with drinking straw, carrying bag, and extra lenses came in the mail from Lithuania today. Shown here modeled by 3d printed boris karloff frankenstein of course.

Attachments

• 1F302105-DC23-4AC4-8EFC-D65EA273C181.jpeg
    1F302105-DC23-4AC4-8EFC-D65EA273C181.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Best I can give you is MGS 2 Raiden.

Honestly, as much as I hated Raiden and disliked MGS2 upon release, I'll take it. I've softened overtime and frankly Kojima has been proven right as time has moved on.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any of you nerds into military surplus at all? Been picking up a piece here or there. This 1985 russian GP 7v PMK complete with drinking straw, carrying bag, and extra lenses came in the mail from Lithuania today. Shown here modeled by 3d printed boris karloff frankenstein of course.

Only militaria that I would pick up would be bayonets and maybe some web gear. I do like the guys who use period gear in shooting matches.