OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Star Trek battles are at their best when they're submarine fights. Stoked!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What an episode. Some really great dialog and absolutely something I did not see coming! Also, I love Worf.

I think we’ll see Geordi next episode.

Did…they get new writers for this season?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Different writers, but the biggest change is Terry Matalas taking over as showrunner.

That episode was really intense. The big reveal of (at least one) of the villains at play here was unexpected.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just announced - Season 5 will be the final season of Star Trek: Discovery. To air early 2024.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just announced - Season 5 will be the final season of Star Trek: Discovery. To air early 2024.
Thank fucking christ.

Discovery is the absolute worst most dogshit Trek thing ever, and that's including Enterprise and Star Trek V: Spocks Brother Brings a Ship to God the Movie.

What fucking assball of a show. The only thing of any value that came from Discovery was Saru and Strange New Worlds.

Good riddance to shit trek.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, it’s a shame - could have been a good show but the writing has just been bad - in terms of (most) individual characters and overall story.

I wonder if season 5 has already been filmed?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Discovery is the only star trek I ever started then stopped watching half way through

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Voyager says hi

I absolutely agree. Voyager literally was a take on a core tenet of Trek: to seek out new life and boldly go where no one had gone before.

And what did they do? Made the Borg the chief antagonist halfway through the series, lol.

That said, with respect to 7 of 9, as a concept I think she’s a great character. Picard was only briefly Locutus, but 7 was Borg infinitely longer and I think exploration of humanity through her view was interesting.

I think Discovery sought to tell a Star Trek story in a different way, not just serially, but perhaps with a greater focus on interpersonal relationships - or maybe to show these crew weren’t superheroes but regular people like the audience.

But they’ve failed somewhat spectacularly. I suppose the fact that I’m not sure what they were trying to do is evidence of that failure. Oh, and the bad writing. Can’t forget that.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
7 was Borg infinitely longer and I think exploration of humanity through her view was interesting.
Yeah, it was a real revelation to find out that everyone likes a big pair of tits

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Doctor is the best character on Voyager. Seven is also good. All the rest are absolute trash, Wesley Crusher tier.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I have no strong love for any character on Voyager.
Me neither. Granted, I haven't watched the entire series (couldn't force myself), but I don't get what people think is so great about the Doctor. Is he another nerd viewer stand-in character like Barkley?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't think the Doctor is a character like Barclay. He slowly develops over time, in a manner not dissimilar to Data, though he has "attitude" I guess, from the get go.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Watching some behind the scenes stuff on Picard S3 and the Titan set is just so well done and huge. I know movies make elaborate sets and then let them go to rot when production ends, but will the studio do that to the Titan set?

Fygee

20 Year Member
I absolutely agree. Voyager literally was a take on a core tenet of Trek: to seek out new life and boldly go where no one had gone before.

And what did they do? Made the Borg the chief antagonist halfway through the series, lol.

That said, with respect to 7 of 9, as a concept I think she’s a great character. Picard was only briefly Locutus, but 7 was Borg infinitely longer and I think exploration of humanity through her view was interesting.

I think Discovery sought to tell a Star Trek story in a different way, not just serially, but perhaps with a greater focus on interpersonal relationships - or maybe to show these crew weren’t superheroes but regular people like the audience.

But they’ve failed somewhat spectacularly. I suppose the fact that I’m not sure what they were trying to do is evidence of that failure. Oh, and the bad writing. Can’t forget that.
Voyager's biggest failing was its lack of taking risks and living up to its true potential. Most of it just ended up being TNG part two with no other Starfleet around (except when there kind of was), and a lot of technobabble. Nearly all of the delta quadrant was more of the same humanoid races with different foreheads or nose ridges. Plus Voyager always ended up looking pretty damn shiny episode after episode.

Year of Hell was the only pair of episodes where it really showed what it should have been. A constant struggle for survival with real consequences and wear and tear on the ship.

Season 3 of Enterprise was basically what Voyager should have been, which, by the way, was a damn good season of TV.

The Doctor was a character that grows on you, as he grows as well. Originally he was just kind of grumpy comic relief, but he went far beyond that as the show went on.

Regarding Discovery, I don't hate it like others do, though I understand why they don't care for it. I thought seasons 1 and 2 were fine, with the Mirror Universe, Saru, Pike, Emperor Giorgio, and Spock's arcs as bright spots. It wasn't perfect, and I fucking hated (still do) the blue and yellow lighting and color correction slathered everywhere, and the stupid shaky camera. Burnham being whiny all the time got old too. Still, it was enjoyable. Season 3 was kinda meh, and season 4 lost me a few episodes in.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard Episode 4.

Y'all know this show is great?

Spoiler:
Wolf 359!!!!!!!!!! What a monologue.

I need to watch again because Shaw had a throwaway line about the events on the Stargazer. Did he imply there was another Borg faction out there?{/spoilers]

Fygee

20 Year Member
Another fantastic episode, and they just keep getting better.

Spoiler:
I'm also glad they were able to get out of their dire situation with good, ol' fashioned Star Trek know-how, creative solutions, and a bit of technobabble. I was worried there would be a ship that shows up to be rescue ranger as their way out of the nebula.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
QQ regarding Picard. I tried season 1 and HATED it....it was so bad. You guys are slowly making me want to watch S3 though. Question being, the main chick from S1 was super annoying and I really hated F-bombs in my Trek. Is the show still gratuitously rated R?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Picard S3 might as well be a completely different show.

Four episodes in, it's truly TNG S8, or the lost final TNG movie as far as I'm concerned.

Outside of Strange New Worlds, this is the Trekkiest Trek that's Trekked since Enterprise.

Raffi is in it, but she's given a much better role this time around with also much better writing.

Riker has been the true star of the show so far. Jonathan Frakes has just been legendary.

So far there's been one F bomb, but it works were it's used.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard S3 might as well be a completely different show.

Four episodes in, it's truly TNG S8, or the lost final TNG movie as far as I'm concerned.

Outside of Strange New Worlds, this is the Trekkiest Trek that's Trekked since Enterprise.

Raffi is in it, but she's given a much better role this time around with also much better writing.

Riker has been the true star of the show so far. Jonathan Frakes has just been legendary.

So far there's been one F bomb, but it works were it's used.

Agreed that Jonathan Frakes really is great in this.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Four episodes in, it's truly TNG S8, or the lost final TNG movie
The space between these two ideas is so vast, it's impossible to judge what you mean. It's like saying something is either the fourth movie of the OT, or it's season 3 of the Ewoks cartoon.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If it was a TNG movie it'd be the only legitimately good one. If it was a final season it'd be one where (so far) there were no filler episodes and each episode is pretty good.